Can you tolerate spicy food?

green1

I have a pretty high tolerance for heat, though I do avoid really hot foods because I prefer to be able to taste the flavors.

I can't stand the flavor of olives, and the texture of squash makes me gag, though I have learned to fight past it and get it swallowed.

I don't really think of myself as having an inordinate amount of heat tolerance, but I do like food a lot spicier than my family does. When I start to think that something is spiced enough to add a little pizzazz then my wife, mother and mother-in-law among many other family members on all sides claim it's hot enough to burn their faces off or that there is no flavour left, just heat. I can definitely meet my match with hot peppers and the like and wouldn't ever feel the need to try the hottest of crazy peppers. I always thought that my family just had a low spice tolerance, and not that I had a high one, but when I was on my mission I did end up having dinner with a mexican family who insisted on having a hot pepper challenge of sorts where they kept bringing out hotter and hotter dishes to watch the gringo sweat. the funny part was that they all turned red and were dripping sweat while I was still just finding the food fairly spicy, but not intolerable. I decided that I must have a decent spice tolerance at that point.

However, when it comes to wasabi I can't take it at all, it's plenty hot and I don't like the flavour either.

I love spicy and hot.  Occasionally I'll go to the Thai joint close by, and order it "Thai Hot".  With an extra side of rice (and extra napkins for the tears).    It takes me longer to eat, and I'm not able to finish, what with all the sweating and eyes tearing up and all.  Maybe a couple of times a year this is a good thing.

Other than that, I prefer somewhere between medium and hot for day to day stuff.

Edited by NeuroTypical

13 hours ago, green1 said:

Im a chili lover, but cant have too spicy food otherwise will cry... T^T... lol.

What about you, or is there anything you cant stand?

Can't get enough spicy.

I can't stand brussel sprouts.  I can't stand string beans.  I can't stand guano.  I can't stand most cajun food.  I really don't like mollusks.

Edited by Guest

Guest Godless

My tolerance for spiciness is probably pretty average and ultimately depends on the cuisine. I've found that I'm more tolerant of heat in Indian and Cajun food than Thai* and Mexican/Tex-Mex. I'm also a big fan of Buffalo wings (and the sauce in general). The only foods I can think of off the top of my head that I absolutely will not eat are olives and raw onion. Foods that I don't care for but won't turn away include bell peppers, oysters, and pineapple.

*An endless source of frustration for me is that I can never find that sweet spot for spice in my pad thai. Every place I try seems to go from no kick whatsoever to too spicy. I just want something in between! 

Edited by Godless

23 hours ago, SilentOne said:

I can't stand the flavor of olives, and the texture of squash makes me gag, though I have learned to fight past it and get it swallowed.

I have never heard that someone cant stand the texture of squash, maybe the cooking method is so different.

13 hours ago, anatess2 said:

No heat for me.  Spicy in my culture doesn't mean hot.  It means strong flavor - like salty, acidic, etc.  So, I go to an Indian Restaurant, order vindaloo with very mild spice and it I still can't eat it.

The food in the Indian restraurant is too spicy, I also cant hold it well, I like the slightly spicy food not the strong spicy ones.

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Can't get enough spicy.

I can't stand brussel sprouts.  I can't stand string beans.  I can't stand guano.  I can't stand most cajun food.  I really don't like mollusks.

lol, the mollusks can be seen after rainy days, then you must be scared.

8 hours ago, Godless said:

Every place I try seems to go from no kick whatsoever to too spicy. I just want something in between! 

Have you went to the China Town, is there any sichuan restaurant? You may try that ones than the Thai restaurant.

Guest Godless
24 minutes ago, green1 said:

Have you went to the China Town, is there any sichuan restaurant? You may try that ones than the Thai restaurant.

We don't have a Chinatown, but the part of San Antonio that I live in has a pretty moderate Asian presence with some great Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian restaurants all within a 5 mile radius. A quick Google search located two Sichaun restaurants, both in my genetal area. I'll have to check them out sometime.

13 hours ago, Godless said:

We don't have a Chinatown, but the part of San Antonio that I live in has a pretty moderate Asian presence with some great Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian restaurants all within a 5 mile radius. A quick Google search located two Sichaun restaurants, both in my genetal area. I'll have to check them out sometime.

My brother and sister are running around Aquatica in San Antonio as I type...

Edited by anatess2

On my mission we had a challenge given us by one of the members to eat a chip with a glob of Sudden Death Hot Sauce on it!

41cXswc2nlL.jpg

This stuff is highly concentrated and comes with the following instructions and warnings:  "WARNING:  This product contains the hottest known ingredients on the planet earth.  Please use with extreme caution. . . SUGGESTED USES:  Use a micro drop on your favorite dishes to enhance your taste sensations. . . Use Sparingly. Not recommended for use without dilution."

So, of course I took the challenge!  After partaking, I consumed a half gallon of ice cream in about 10 minutes to try and dilute, after which I vomited profusely.  :lol:  I have never had anything nearly that spicy since, but vomit or not, I'm a 'real man' for trying it!  That being said, I always have and continue to love very spicy food to this day.  My wife's chili is too spicy for most people we know, but I still love it.  I once ate 7 stuffed jalapeños with corn tortillas and it was amazingly delicious and I could easily handle the spice (definitely not fun the next day though)!  :eek:  I dislike the flavor of 'chile de árbol', but that's the only spice I have tasted that I dislike so far.

So, are you up for the Sudden Death 1 Chip Challenge?  :)

Edited by person0

On 6/15/2017 at 9:02 PM, green1 said:

lol, the mollusks can be seen after rainy days, then you must be scared.

Seriously, octopus, squid, snails, whatever.  It just seems like flavorless rubber.  It barely takes on the flavor of the sauces it is in.  Deep fried calamari tastes like rubber coated liver.

1 hour ago, person0 said:

This stuff is highly concentrated and comes with the following instructions and warnings:  "WARNING:  This product contains the hottest known ingredients on the planet earth.  Please use with extreme caution. . . SUGGESTED USES:  Use a micro drop on your favorite dishes to enhance your taste sensations. . . Use Sparingly. Not recommended for use without dilution."

I just looked this up.  It's basically just habanero sauce.  while it once reigned as the hottest pepper, it is no longer.  Now there is the diamond hardness rating of spicy peppers which are 5 to 10 times as hot as habaneros.

I like the scoville scale ratings around 50,000 to 100,000.  Habanero (350,000) may have more kick than I'm used to.  But I think I could handle it.  But the ghost chili?  I'll try it and see.  If I can find somewhere that would actually use it.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I just looked this up.  It's basically just habanero sauce.  while it once reigned as the hottest pepper, it is no longer.  Now there is the diamond hardness rating of spicy peppers which are 5 to 10 times as hot as habaneros.

I like the scoville scale ratings around 50,000 to 100,000.  Habanero (350,000) may have more kick than I'm used to.  But I think I could handle it.  But the ghost chili?  I'll try it and see.  If I can find somewhere that would actually use it.

You are absolutely correct.  I am fairly certain that in the case of this hot sauce it is less the pepper that is used and more the concentration.  It is a thick sludgy hot sauce because it is very concentrated.  That being said, there are hotter hot sauces, the Sudden Death company even makes a hotter sauce called Ultra Death.  :eek: