Gene Simmons You Are An Idiot

mirkwood

CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT WARNING: I actually prefer Kiss to Led Zeppelin.

Black Sabbath > Kiss > AC/DC > Aerosmith > Led Zeppelin.  (Granted, the last three are more hard rock than metal, but I am still making the comparison).

That said, I don't think metal truly got started until the 1980s, with Metallica.  Also, unlike many genres of music, I think newer metal is better than older metal (especially all of the crazy stuff coming out of Europe these days).

Yes, I have given Led Zeppelin a fair chance (I have copies of all of their albums).  I was initially impressed, but soon grew tired of their music.  Reading about the excesses of Jimmy Page's lifestyle didn't help.

Begin outraged comments.

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Black Sabbath > Kiss > AC/DC > Aerosmith > Led Zeppelin.  (Granted, the last three are more hard rock than metal, but I am still making the comparison).

That said, I don't think metal truly got started until the 1980s, with Metallica.  Also, unlike many genres of music, I think newer metal is better than older metal (especially all of the crazy stuff coming out of Europe these days).

Begin outraged comments.

You like it.  Admit it.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

PREACH. 

Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band in history, bar none 

7 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I think the English metal pioneers of Judas Priest, Diamond Head, Black Sabbath are the founders of it. Metallica certainly brought thrash metal to the mainstream, no doubt. 

Edited by MormonGator

Just now, MormonGator said:

PREACH. 

Led Zeppelin is the most overrated band in history, bar none 

I think the English metal pioneers of Judas Priest, Diamond Head, Black Sabbath are the founders of it. Metallica certainly brought thrash metal to the mainstream, no doubt. 

I actually read one critic who argued that Led Zeppelin should be considered the greatest rock band of all time, even over the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

I think that is just absurd.

Almost as absurd as critics arguing with a straight face that the Clash's London Calling should be ranked higher than Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde on "top ten albums of all time".  Blonde on Blonde should not be ranked number 9.  It should be ranked number 1 or 2.  And the Beatles' best album is not Sgt. Pepper, it is Abby Road.  

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

I actually read one critic who argued that Led Zeppelin should be considered the greatest rock band of all time, even over the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

I think that is just absurd.

Almost as absurd as critics arguing with a straight face that the Clash's London Calling should be ranked higher than Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde on "top ten albums of all time".  Blonde on Blonde should not be ranked number 9.  It should be ranked number 1 or 2.  And the Beatles' best album is not Sgt. Pepper, it is Abby Road.  

This is going to turn into a mutual admiration society because I totally agree again! Blonde on Blonde is my number 1-A, and Introducing the Beatles is my number 1-B. 

Agree on Abbey Road being better than Sgt Pepper too. My favorite Beatles album is The White Album. 

Guest Godless
59 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Begin outraged comments.

56 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Shame on both of you for neglecting to mention the ultimate godfathers of metal, IRON MAIDEN!!! I am outraged (but not really)!!! You can definitely make a case for Sabbath and Priest, but I'm all about Iron Maiden when it comes to that era of metal. 

Judas Priest would be the lead out in what became the metal scene.  That said, Iron Maiden brought the genre to the masses.  Metallica is the lead out in bringing a new sound to the metal scene, though they were not the first to play that way, just the first to get any serious attention.

Any further mentions of KISS as a band will result in moderator actions and warnings given...

Guest MormonGator

4 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Judas Priest would be the lead out in what became the metal scene.  That said, Iron Maiden brought the genre to the masses.  Metallica is the lead out in bringing a new sound to the metal scene, though they were not the first to play that way, just the first to get any serious attention.

I agree with all that, for sure. 

Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest albums of all time, taken from the "500 greatest albums of all time":

1.  The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2.  The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds (horrible album, in my opinion- should not be in the top 500 albums)
3.  The Beatles, Revolver
4.  Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
5. The Beatles, Rubber Soul
6.  Marvin Gaye, What's Going On 
7.  The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street
8.  The Clash, London Calling (not even the best Clash album, in my opinion)
9.  Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde (should be number 1, in my opinion)
10.  The Beatles, the White Album

DoctorLemon's top ten:

1.  Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
2.  Johnny Cash, At Folsom Prison
3.  The Beatles, Abbey Road
4.  The Beatles, Rubber Soul
5.  Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home
6.  The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street
7.  Neil Young, Tonight's the Night
8.  Bob Dylan, the Basement Tapes
9.  Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding
10.  U2, Achtung Baby

There.  I resisted the urge to put Moonsorrow or the Drive By Truckers in the top ten.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator

1. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

2. Introducing the Beatles, The Beatles 

3. Ramones, Ramones 

4. Metal on Metal, Anvil 

5. Paranoid, Black Sabbath 

6. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash

7. Nevermind, Nirvana 

8.Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley 

9. New York Dolls, New York Dolls 

10. Alive!, Kiss 

I love top ten lists, but this one is virtually impossible. So many great albums out there, but these are my favorites and I think they have huge influence on music. 

Edited by MormonGator

36 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

1. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

2. Introducing the Beatles, The Beatles 

3. Ramones, Ramones 

4. Metal on Metal, Anvil 

5. Paranoid, Black Sabbath 

6. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash

7. Nevermind, Nirvana 

8.Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley 

9. New York Dolls, New York Dolls 

10. Alive!, Kiss 

I love top ten lists, but this one is virtually impossible. So many great albums out there, but these are my favorites and I think they have huge influence on music. 

Does Van Halen pop up anywhere in there???

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Fether said:

Does Van Halen pop up anywhere in there???

Are you ready to punch me in the face? I strongly, overwhelmingly, radically prefer Van Hagar to Van Halen. 

Oooohhh...top ten albums...this is always hard except for 1-3

1. Moving Pictures, Rush

2. Number Of The Beast, Iron Maiden

3.  Fire Of Unknown Origin, Blue Oyster Cult

4.  War Pigs, Black Sabbath

5.  The Wall, Pink Floyd

6.  Screaming For Vengeance, Judas Priest

7.  Farewell To Kings, Rush

8.  Operation Mindcrime, Queensryche

9.  Master Of Puppets, Metallica

10..  II, Van Halen

Here are my top ten current favorites (as opposed to what deserve to be the top ten albums of all time):

1.  Drive By Truckers - Brighter than Creation's Dark
2.  Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
3.  Wolfchant - Embraced by Fire
4.  Reckless Kelly - Somewhere in Time
5.  Steve Earle - Guitar Town
6.  Sir Doug & The Texas Tornadoes - Texas Rock for Country Rollers
7.  Merle Haggard - Same Train, Different Time
8.  Khalas - Arabic Rock Orchestra
9.  The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall 
10.  Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja Kunniasta

And here are the top ten new wave albums of all time:

1.  Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
2.  Blondie - Eat to the Beat
3.  The Cars - self titled
4.  Squeeze - Argy Bargy 
5.  Indochine - L'Aventurier
6.  Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
7.  Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust
8.  Joe Jackson - I'm the Man
9.   The Cure - Disintegration (does this count?  don't care, it's going on the list)
10.  Talking Heads - Remain in Light

Edited by DoctorLemon