DNA Results

pam

How many of you have done the DNA test?  What kind of results did you get?  Were you surprised?

I got my results today.  I actually was quite surprised.  I thought that Great Britain would be very high in the numbers.  This is what I got:

74% Europe West (Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein)

11% Ireland (Primarily located in: Ireland, Wales, Scotland)

5% Great Britain (Primarily located in: England, Scotland, Wales)

3% Scandinavia (Primarily located in: Sweden, Norway, Denmark)

3% Iberian Peninsula (Primarily located in: Spain, Portugal)

1% European Jewish (Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel)

<1% Finland/Northwest Russia (Primarily located in: Finland, Russia (northwest)

<1% Italy/Greece (Primarily located in: Italy, Greece)

1% Caucasus (Primarily located in: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey

Guest Godless

Haven't done it, but I'd like to at some point. I know there's a lot of British and Irish in recent generations on both sides of my family, and heavy German on my dad's side. The big wild card is my maternal grandfather, who my mom has never met and hasn't done any history for. 

On 6/16/2017 at 8:39 AM, pam said:

How many of you have done the DNA test?  What kind of results did you get?  Were you surprised?

I got my results today.  I actually was quite surprised.  I thought that Great Britain would be very high in the numbers.  This is what I got:

74% Europe West (Primarily located in: Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein)

1% European Jewish (Primarily located in: Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, Israel)

1% Caucasus (Primarily located in: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey

Pam, do you mind sharing where did you get this and the cost? I saw several web sites offering it.

8 hours ago, Suzie said:

Pam, do you mind sharing where did you get this and the cost? I saw several web sites offering it.

I did mine through ancestry.com.  I got it when it was on sale for $79.00 it's normally $99.00.  But they go on sale quite often.

Close relatives are easy.  That's exactly what DNA tests are good for.  The farther and more general you get (like determining what percentage of your DNA is part of what ethnicity or national origin for example) the more unreliable the results.  More distant relatives get more uncertain.

And even with close relatives, it always pays to get a double check (whether that is paper genealogy or a second test.  Sometimes, there are false positives and false negatives.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

The farther and more general you get (like determining what percentage of your DNA is part of what ethnicity or national origin for example) the more unreliable the results.

You could have what percentage of the DNA is from what ethnicity/national origin exactly correct and it still probably wouldn't be the same as the exact percentage of your ancestors who came from what ethnicity/national origin. You get 1/2 of your DNA from your father and 1/2 from your mother. Probably about half of what you get from your father is from his father and half from his mother. But it's not like during meiosis the cells sit down with the chromosomes and carefully count out half of what you got from each great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparent to pass down. So full siblings get slightly different ethnicity results, even though they have the exact same ancestry. Not because the test is wrong but because the DNA is different.

And I am now imagining a hypothetical situation where two people whose great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents are all matched up in 1:1 sibling pairs (so each one of Person As ancestors is a sibling of one of Person Bs ancestors) compare their DNA test results. I wonder what sort of relationship their DNA analysis would guess they had?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Carborendum said:

Close relatives are easy.  That's exactly what DNA tests are good for.  The farther and more general you get (like determining what percentage of your DNA is part of what ethnicity or national origin for example) the more unreliable the results.  More distant relatives get more uncertain.

And even with close relatives, it always pays to get a double check (whether that is paper genealogy or a second test.  Sometimes, there are false positives and false negatives.

I've heard some humorous stories in this.  There was one guy, 100% Japanese, had his ancestry to prove it, and his results...He's partially from Western Europe (probably around the Netherlands or something), partially from Native Americans, and almost 50% from West Africa...

To say they got that wrong on a massive scale is to put it lightly...

Another...white as white can be...he was supposedly 5% Native American or something like that (as far as he knew, none of his family ever had been to the Americas), 50% from Central Africa or those whereabouts (and what made it notable), and the rest correlated mostly to what he knew in Europe. 

No idea if these tests actually work, but I've had some inclinations that sometimes some of them might be blowing smoke.

They work really well in paternity tests from what I've heard though...the maternal side normally doesn't need to be tested to determine who the mother is though...

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I've heard some humorous stories in this.  There was one guy, 100% Japanese, had his ancestry to prove it, and his results...He's partially from Western Europe (probably around the Netherlands or something), partially from Native Americans, and almost 50% from West Africa...

Another...white as white can be...he was supposedly 5% Native American or something like that (as far as he knew, none of his family ever had been to the Americas), 50% from Central Africa or those whereabouts (and what made it notable), and the rest correlated mostly to what he knew in Europe. 

No idea if these tests actually work, but I've had some inclinations that sometimes some of them might be blowing smoke.

They work really well in paternity tests from what I've heard though...the maternal side normally doesn't need to be tested to determine who the mother is though...

The thing is...contrary to popular belief...no one is 100% of a particular race/ethnicity no matter how "Asian" "White" or "Black" they might look like.

The Japanese are pretty sure of some of their ancestry.  That said, I'm pretty sure if the guy had that much African blood in him, it would be pretty well known and he'd probably be ostracized from that particular section of Japanese society.  That's what makes it really hilarious.  There's NO WAY he had that much of it there...especially if you know about the Japanese and other races in regards to their backgrounds...something wrong had to have happened with that test (mixed up at the lab, who knows) or the entire DNA thing has something seriously wrong with it.  The results and the look on the individuals face reading it though...absolutely hilarious.

On 2017-6-17 at 1:39 AM, pam said:

All human?

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

There was one guy, 100% Japanese, had his ancestry to prove it, and his results...He's partially from Western Europe (probably around the Netherlands or something), partially from Native Americans, and almost 50% from West Africa...

Well, there's a misunderstanding of the science at work here.  The DNA test may or may not have been a false positive,but DNA tests in general don't tell you "where you're from".  They give you a genetic marker, and you can look at a map of that marker's prevalence over time and see that some areas have great concentration of that marker, and other areas not so much.  It can paint a picture, but it doesn't provide a genealogy.  It can scientifically prove with a high degree of accuracy, whom you are guaranteed to share a common ancestor with in the last X generations.  But it doesn't write your family history.

In my case, there are two branches of [NT] genes.  For the most part, one branch came from Scotland, then fled to Ireland and immigrated to America from there.  The other branch stayed in Scotland and fought for the British king, and immigrated to America 100 years later.  DNA tells me which of those two lines I'm more closely related to.  And genealogy supports the story by telling me my oldest discovered ancestor was born on the English side of the England/Scotland border.  

DNA science can do some amazing things, but it also doesn't do half the stuff people assume it does.

Amazing story: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familylemba.html

16 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Well, there's a misunderstanding of the science at work here.  The DNA test may or may not have been a false positive,but DNA tests in general don't tell you "where you're from".  They give you a genetic marker, and you can look at a map of that marker's prevalence over time and see that some areas have great concentration of that marker, and other areas not so much.  It can paint a picture, but it doesn't provide a genealogy.  It can scientifically prove with a high degree of accuracy, whom you are guaranteed to share a common ancestor with in the last X generations.  But it doesn't write your family history.

In my case, there are two branches of [NT] genes.  For the most part, one branch came from Scotland, then fled to Ireland and immigrated to America from there.  The other branch stayed in Scotland and fought for the British king, and immigrated to America 100 years later.  DNA tells me which of those two lines I'm more closely related to.  And genealogy supports the story by telling me my oldest discovered ancestor was born on the English side of the England/Scotland border.  

DNA science can do some amazing things, but it also doesn't do half the stuff people assume it does.

Amazing story: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familylemba.html

I don't know about the lab and such, but apparently some of them tell you where your background is from (Area of the world and such).  How they do it, or how they supposedly do it, I don't know, just know those two stories which are particularly funny to me.  It could be a false positive, or I think someone said they may have mixed up the results by accident or something (because, those results didn't make any sense, unless it was a joke).