12 yr old testimony drama

NeuroTypical

5 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Son of a......panda?

Perhaps it was an anagram designed to get around the forum rules... (think dyslexic)

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, cdowis said:

This video has been reported to the church as a violation of intellectual property rights.

If you find such a violation, you can notify the church at [email protected]

Which video?  The 12 yo girl's testimony?  How is that an IP violation?

So many things wrong with that video. I am glad her mic was turned off. The mic, on fast and testimony meeting,  isnt the place to grind your political axe and have your friends there to video it. She might as well just as said "the prophets are wrong, the LDS church is wrong and damn all of you if you dont accept my lifestyle". Hopefully this kind of thing doesnt become commonplace. No 12 year old knows if they are gay or not and everything that goes along with that lifestyle choice.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Which video?  The 12 yo girl's testimony?  How is that an IP violation?

You are aware that the church owns the chapel and the entire building.  The church has control over what can be photographed and videotaped in this building and on the property, and has specific restrictions (permission required) on church services.

12 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

No 12 year old knows if they are gay or not and everything that goes along with that lifestyle choice.

She "knows" because she participated in a Utah Gay Pride parade.  She wore multi-colored angel wings.  

She is the poster girl for young lesbians.

Edited by cdowis

15 minutes ago, cdowis said:

You are aware that the church owns the chapel and the entire building.  The church has control over what can be photographed and videotaped in this building and on the property, and has specific restrictions (permission required) on church services.

I'm aware of the restrictions.  I didn't know that was legally categorized as intellectual property.

@Just_A_Guy, @DoctorLemon,  Is that the way it works?

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm aware of the restrictions.  I didn't know that was legally categorized as intellectual property.

@Just_A_Guy, @DoctorLemon,  Is that the way it works?

Well, you can certainly be legally kicked out as a trespasser if you break the rules . . . I am not sure enforcing through copyright would be the most straightforward way of doing things unless the person is filming Church-owned media playing at a facility, though.

On 6/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, MormonGator said:

First off, she's a minor and doesn't have free speech rights and second, you don't have free speech rights in a church! 

Hey Gator, what do you mean? :hmmm:Freedom of speech is in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I suspect that youtube terms of service for removing a video may be more flexible in its application.  Anyway, will let Intellectual Property handle it.

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

Hey Gator, what do you mean? :hmmm:Freedom of speech is in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Mostly yes, but under US law (the only one that matters) free speech is subject to time, place and manner restrictions; as well as the proprietary interests of the owner of the location where the speech is occurring (which is why I can't turn up at your house and play "Stars and Stripes Forever" at maximum volume in your kitchen, whether at 3 a.m., or at any other time).

And, re the video, I agree with @DoctorLemon--there may be a technical trespass here; but I don't know that the proper remedy is that the owner of the physical property suddenly has a claim over any intellectual property created by the trespasser. 

From what I understand, I feel this was a staged event, as in, planned and staged to make a political and public message.  This is my opinion.

One parent decided to stop being associated with the LDS church a few years back when the LDS church regarding Gay Marriage and their children was announced and published.  That parent did not agree with the LDS church and felt that was the final straw.  They did not like the LDS policy regarding LGBT rights or treatment, especially in regards to the children.  The other parent stayed in the LDS church.

This daughter supposedly was going to bear a testimony of this in January.  However, supposedly, as per the parents, they felt that the daughter should not do so at that time and instead went over what the daughter was going to say.  This is supposed to be the excuse of why the daughter had it written down, as a written statement.

The F&T meeting that family brought a bunch of "Friends" to support their daughter.  These friends...interestingly enough, from what I would say, are part of the LGBT alliance, or LGBT group in support of LGBT rights.   They supposedly cheered and celebrated the event, which isn't really something that one does in an LDS church building after a meeting or anytime typically anyways.

My concerns...

1.  Knowing the one parent's views and thoughts, I am concerned whether this is really the girl's feelings, or if this was somehow coached upon the child by that parent.  It is hard to say.  Either way, it being written down isn't really a testimony in the usual sense of a F&T meeting...more like a speech or a talk, and to me...gives a sense of being staged simply for the purpose of staging it for media and public consumption to mock the LDS church.

2.  The bringing of those "Friends" which, I don't really think were close friends...per se...but more those to celebrate the event of a media type message to the church...also points to it being staged.

3.  It is not a hidden policy that the chapel is not a place to bring cameras and other such media equipment.  F&T meeting is definitely not the place for it.  That they purposefully brought such stuff, along with their friends, and were filming it, I think speaks for itself on whether this was a planned and staged event to bring mockery to the LDS church or not.

My opinion is that this was something premeditated, thought out, and then staged by the Parents in order to try to bring arguments or notoriety against the LDS church.  I also posted this in the other thread as well, since there seems to be two different threads.

17 hours ago, cdowis said:

She "knows" because she participated in a Utah Gay Pride parade.  She wore multi-colored angel wings.  

She is the poster girl for young lesbians.

Whats a 12 year old doing at a gay pride parade? Somehow I think the parent here is having a very negative influence on their kid.

9 hours ago, pam said:

The only SOP I know of is standard operating procedure.  

It's Son Of Perdition.  I just found it funny that it is also an anagram for something else I'd like to call that person in question.

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Vort said:

Translation: "I do not love the 'Mormon' church."

I found it reminiscent of Nibley's observation of the Anti-Mormon author first proclaiming that he is NOT and Anti-mormon and that he took "every effort to be neutral."

Yes, the "Olympian neutrality" is so easily accomplished by those who leave the Church.

On 6/20/2017 at 8:11 PM, cdowis said:

a certified SOP who devotes his life to destroy the church?

Now that Carb has explained what that means, I'm tempted to go design a T-shirt, or create a meme or something.

"No SOPs allowed!"

"SOPBLOCK" (A play on the term Cop Block - Mirk may not like it...)

SOP brand Suntan Lotion - Must bring own light source.  (cuz, see, outer darkness and all...  Ok, maybe that one's too vague.)

"Go peddle your SOP Drama somewhere else, we're trying to gain exaltation over here."

Honestly, these things just write themselves. 

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

It's Son Of Perdition.  I just found it funny that it is also an anagram for something else I'd like to call that person in question.

That's why I dislike the use of acronyms.  We have so many converts and non members that lurk that wouldn't understand.  I certainly didn't catch on to it and I've been a member my entire life.

10 minutes ago, pam said:

That's why I dislike the use of acronyms.  We have so many converts and non members that lurk that wouldn't understand.  I certainly didn't catch on to it and I've been a member my entire life.

The worst is in the new mommy forums. What the panda is a DH anyway?! And what if one doesn't like their husband. Does the "D" stand for "darned" then? They LOVE their acronyms there. I think it makes them all look like a bunch of pandas.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The worst is in the new mommy forums. What the panda is a DH anyway?! And what if one doesn't like their husband. Does the "D" stand for "darned" then? They LOVE their acronyms there. I think it makes them all look like a bunch of pandas.

For some reason I cringe every time I see DH.  I don't know why but I do.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic