Harassment with being Child-Free

ray13

Just now, zil said:

Nonsense.  https://www.gouletpens.com/fountain-pens-under-100/c/631/?sortBy=price+asc&facetValueFilter=price%3A[0+TO+25]

...and that's a mom & pop style FP store.  eBay and Amazon will get you a decent fountain pen (or not so decent - you have to learn to distinguish) FP for even cheaper than some of these...

@zil Are you setting up your own church?

3 hours ago, zil said:

This statement confuses me.  A pen has a utilitarian use.  And who cares whether it does or does not have utilitarian only, aesthetic only, or both types of uses?  Either you're paying for the cost of providing the product, or you're paying for something in addition to that.  There are lots of expensive things we buy (houses, cars, education) where a cheaper version is available, but we're paying extra for craftsmanship/quality, the convenience of "larger", personal preference (as far as its appearance / color goes), etc.  So you don't like the extreme version of this tendency - congratulations, most humans don't.  (Personally, I don't comprehend why you or your wife might want jewelry, beyond maybe a wedding ring. so from my perspective, whatever you spent on that piece you bought her was a waste of money.  But if it wasn't from yours or hers, more power to ya.)

As for the link: You're not paying for "a pen".  It's a Montblanc (immediately doubles the price: status symbol, craftsmanship, probably limited edition), it's said to be "rare" (thus making it a collector's item), and who cares - just because some nut might be willing to pay that price doesn't mean it's worth it or anything.  And how do we know some nut will pay that price?  Maybe the seller is nuts.

I'm not saying I think that item is worth the price, I'm just saying there are reasons people put that price on that item, and as far as I'm concerned, that's their problem.  The nib on that pen can be got on a much, much cheaper pen (if it's the writing experience you're after).

Yup, and I'm perfectly fine paying for the pen.  It is is very well made, I'll pay for that.  But to pay for the status symbol?  Yes, I know people do it.  I just don't get why they do it.

Yes, I'll pay for the "artwork".  But if I pay a lot for artwork, I wouldn't carry it around with me.

2 hours ago, zil said:

Nonsense.  https://www.gouletpens.com/fountain-pens-under-100/c/631/?sortBy=price+asc&facetValueFilter=price%3A[0+TO+25]

...and that's a mom & pop style FP store.  eBay and Amazon will get you a decent fountain pen (or not so decent - you have to learn to distinguish) for even cheaper than some of these...

ETA: Keep getting alerts about posts after this one, but can't see any of them - not even the one I just posted noting this same phenomenon... :(

Testing testing testing

Just now, zil said:

Yes, it appears you fixed it! :) thank you!

I think it was a system glitch.  One of Carb's posts posted about 6 times. That was probably all of the notifications you were getting.

1 minute ago, pam said:

I think it was a system glitch.  One of Carb's posts posted about 6 times. That was probably all of the notifications you were getting.

No, a couple from carb and a couple from sunday, and now I see their posts and page 4, so deleting carb's extra posts must have fixed it... :)

2 minutes ago, zil said:

No, a couple from carb and a couple from sunday, and now I see their posts and page 4, so deleting carb's extra posts must have fixed it... :)

Maybe.  Because that's the only thing I did. :)

12 hours ago, pam said:

That post simply wouldn't post.  I'm normally very good about not hitting the submit button multiple times.  But I tried reloading the webpage, restarting the browser, and restarting the computer.  But it just never showed up.  It was different than all the other times such a glitch has occurred.

I guess it's fixed now.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:15 PM, seashmore said:

I also like quoting The Princess Bride.

"Get used to disappointment."

"You seem a decent fellow.  I hate to kill you."

"You can die slowly, cut into a thousand pieces."

<after choking the asker unconscious> "I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women."

10 hours ago, NightSG said:

"Get used to disappointment."

"You seem a decent fellow.  I hate to kill you."

"You can die slowly, cut into a thousand pieces."

<after choking the asker unconscious> "I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake. But for now, rest well and dream of large women."

I prefer Hudson Hawk:

I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career.