Garment Concerns/Questions

felicityswims

36 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:
54 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

There can be legitimate reasons for not wearing them at times.

The three s's ;)

This was your chance and YOU BLEW IT!!!!!

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:
3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Because, sex.

From now on this will be my go to response for all explanation of my ideas.

4 hours ago, zil said:

Me too.  Apparently I don't have enough problems.  (Wait... That's probably the wrong thing to put out there, isn't it?  Well, it was nice knowing you all...)

I could give you some of my problems if you don't have enough. :P

On 6/22/2017 at 11:05 AM, felicityswims said:

I've tried wearing them all the time, and doing so made me hate them. If I hate them, what kind of relationship is that giving me with God?

I am not here to judge your choices because at the end of the day, it is your life and your body but please allow me to say one thing. This issue has nothing to do with garments. If you would like me to expand, please let me know.

Edited by Suzie

7 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I worked one summer mowing he golf courses of the Palm Springs valley.  It was 90+ at 4:30 a.m.as I went to work.  It cracked 110 before 9:00 a.m. and often was 115-120 by 10:00 a.m. (127 was the hottest day).  Me and my garments never suffered heat stroke.  Discomfort yes, but I could have been wearing tightie whiteies and had the same discomfort. 

The garment is a part of our covenants, as is wearing them "24/7".  Making excuses not to wear them is breaking that covenant.  There can be legitimate reasons for not wearing them at times, but I'm hearing excuses and justifications in this thread.

You are acclimatized to the heat. Someone who lives in the shelter of air conditioned structures every day all day, risks heatstroke by doing what you do, without acclimatizing first. 

5 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

You are acclimatized to the heat. Someone who lives in the shelter of air conditioned structures every day all day, risks heatstroke by doing what you do, without acclimatizing first. 

Age is also a factor; we had a small Amish community near here, but most of them left as the older members of the families got to where they couldn't take the heat.

Edited by NightSG

14 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

You are correct to an extent.  However, that does not have anything to do with wearing your garments in the heat.  They. Don't. Make. A. Difference. To. The. Heat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-06-24 at 2:50 AM, NightSG said:

Age is also a factor; we had a small Amish community near here, but most of them left as the older members of the families got to where they couldn't take the heat.

They moved to Canada! Actually true. Climate change has rendered northern land more viable add that to long summer days- because is so far north and cheap land and ...how do the Amish feel about guns? Amish and Mennonites are moving here! Easy sell!

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2017 at 10:53 AM, felicityswims said:

I'm an endowed member, but I don't wear my garments all day and all night.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm an endowed member and I haven't worn my garments for 2-3 years. Now that I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things, I've been thinking about wearing them again. But I don't like sleeping in garments, I don't like sweating in garments, so even if I do go back to wearing them, I would have to revisit with the Lord to ask the personal question of how often I should wear them.  I've been perfectly comfortable not wearing my garments in any scenario where I see myself sweating.  However, this can be problematic for someone like me who lives in the desert of Arizona and has a good chance of sweating from mid-March through mid-October.

The best advice to follow is the church's advice.  The church counsels that, "Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible." Furthermore, "Members who have made covenants in the temple should be guided by the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves personal questions about wearing the garment." 

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.42

Edited by clbent04

15 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@clbent04. If you hate sweating in garments, perhaps someday you could try the mesh version?

I actually have some of the mesh garments. They're not bad, but I don't see them making much of a difference when it comes to me sweating. I just got to get over the hurdle of thinking it's an inconvenience to wear them. I used to wear them fairly regularly up until 3 years ago, and I hardly noticed them back then.

My slow decent over the last 3 years led me to say, I shouldn't wear them tonight because I'm going to play racquetball, and then it evolved to, I shouldn't wear them in the home because that's time I spend with my wife, and then it progressed to, I shouldn't wear them to work because it's hot outside during the 60-second walk from my car to the building.

I just need to stop with these rationalizations considering I've started to want to get back in the full swing of things. I did it before. Wearing garments isn't that big of a deal, and it's really an easy thing to do once you've made it second nature to wear them

Edited by clbent04

8 hours ago, zil said:

Here I am on the treadmill in my Holy exercise clothes. I'll be sweating before I'm done. So what?

Adam was given a garment and told to eat by the sweat of his brow.  I'm not seeing the problem. 

For me the sweat feels extra gross when I'm double layered. It sticks to your skin more as it decreases the breathe-ability.

I'm sure this is not the case for everyone and I don't know anything about garments.  However, there are some things I know God wills me to do.  I also know that if I took half the energy I expended thinking of reasons I didn't have to do it and put that energy to actually doing it my life would be simpler.