Garment Concerns/Questions

felicityswims

2 hours ago, clbent04 said:

For me the sweat feels extra gross when I'm double layered. It sticks to your skin more as it decreases the breathe-ability.

Yep, sweating stinks (er, so to speak), but I think the consequences of faithfully wearing (or sweating in) the garment are better than declining to do as we have covenanted to do.  And, I believe in mind over matter - or just the plain adaptability of the human body - I've experienced it with both extremes (adapting to hot and cold) and read of others doing the same.  But if your mind is constantly saying, "this is too hot, this is uncomfortable, I hate this", then that becomes / remains your reality.

• 4 months later...

Wow!  New to this forum and what a thread.

i too felt the same way about the garments.  I hated them, loathed them, called them every name in the book.  

I joined the church after I was married, went to the temple after first daughter was born.  Wore garments for about a year then decided it was unnecessary 24/7.  I live in Texas where it’s hot and humid ALL THE TIME.  I don’t dress immodest, I just didn’t want extra layers.  For me, I too felt bad not wearing them.  I went to my bishop and he just simply told me to read the book Believe in Christ. (I think that’s the name).   I read about half, prayed, and decided to stick it out.  Found the fabric that worked best, prayed and here I am.

its a hard thing to do, I am very empathetic.

i would just ask you a couple of questions

1). Are you looking for justification of your actions?   If so, then pray...it’s the only honest answer that matters.

2). Be ok with what apparently is going on, others judgements.  Why anyone but your husband know when you do or do not wear garments is questionable.  Who cares?  I have found that when I see others disobedience, I am the jugemental one.  Maybe you are feeling a tad bit guilty??  Don’t know, just a thought.  I did.  I would look at others and see them not wearing them and feel my heart swell in being right.  Ha!!  

3). Garments are personal.  How you wear them, when you wear them is all you.  Be ok with it.  Be ok with the consequences.  Are you ok with the consequences?  Be them good or negative?  And there will be for all of us, right?  Be ok, be at peace.

Seeking perfection seems to be the Mormon way..but...

By your/our own efforts, we are not even close to being worthy to stand before a holy God.

This is the bad news that comes before the good news.........in this case, no garments can save you.

Bible says “righteous acts are like filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6), that “no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law”

(Romans 3:20), and that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).

If you will admit to these truths, open for the good news of the true gospel of Jesus Christ, that real righteousness only comes at the cross, where God exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

No other righteousness can stand before God on Judgment Day. then you are well on the way to understanding true salvation.

The bible should be your quide book before any other books such as BOM.....but then again I am not Mormon.

1 hour ago, Dream Weaver said:

Seeking perfection seems to be the Mormon way

Yep, we follow Christ's commands (see the Sermon on the Mount).

By your/our own efforts, we are not even close to being worthy to stand before a holy God.

Clarifying LDS beliefs here: LDS do *not* believe that you're supposed to be doing anything by your own efforts.  That's just a loss cause.  Rather, Christ provides the way.

Bible says “righteous acts are like filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6), that “no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law”

(Romans 3:20), and that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).

Great verses showing the lost cause described above.  

If you will admit to these truths, open for the good news of the true gospel of Jesus Christ, that real righteousness only comes at the cross, where God exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

That's what the LDS faith is all about!

Seeking perfection seems to be the Mormon way..but...

This is the bad news that comes before the good news.........in this case, no garments can save you.

No other righteousness can stand before God on Judgment Day. then you are well on the way to understanding true salvation.

The bible should be your quide book before any other books such as BOM.....but then again I am not Mormon.

i-am-not-a-troll.jpg

So is this a year-end thing, or is there something in the air tonight that brings them out?

• 4 months later...
On 6/22/2017 at 12:53 PM, felicityswims said:

I'm an endowed member, but I don't wear my garments all day and all night. Technically, I'm not breaking any rules, because the endowment ceremony literally only says "wear them throughout your life." I wear shoes throughout my life, too, but not all the time! I wear glasses throughout my life, but not all the time! So why do the garments need to be worn 24/7? They're supposed to be sacred, a reminder of the covenants we made, but we wear them like normal underwear, so how are they special anymore? They're not. I wear mine on Sundays and days when I need the extra strength. That's what makes them special to me, I follow the rules to "wear them throughout my life," but people think I'm wrong and that I need to wear them 24/7. Even the temple recommend questions ask: "Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?" The endowment instructions don't tell me to wear them day and night! What do you think?

... I am just blown away by your logic. I really, I can't. Excuse me.

9 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Um, felicityswims last visited this forum 20 November 2017. Bet she still isn't wearing her garments.

Sup,

How do you know the last time she visited? Sounds creepy. Glad to see someone new post. I still need to figure out the features here. I just found the online visitors. Only like 10 people log in and like 50 lurkers come in as guests but hardly post.

On a staycation at the moment, so this is a new forum I am checking out.

7 hours ago, Overwatch said:

Sup,

How do you know the last time she visited? Sounds creepy. Glad to see someone new post. I still need to figure out the features here. I just found the online visitors. Only like 10 people log in and like 50 lurkers come in as guests but hardly post.

On a staycation at the moment, so this is a new forum I am checking out.

If you hover your cursor over the individual's name, it'll show you the the last time they visited the website. 

1 hour ago, felicityswims said:

Funny enough, you're right! I resigned from this God-forsaken "church" in March. So I indeed haven't worn them! Maybe I could burn them though...

Sup Felicity,

sad day. Well I guess if you want to burn your holy garments you are going to have to use a holy hand grenade. Make sure to count not once, not thrice, but twice before throwing it. Wait, maybe it was thrice?  Either way I really hope the garment issue was not the reason you left. I don't go because it feels very lonely there TO ME but I like camaraderie (and of course a few things mentioned in other posts) my wife and kids do just fine there. Also I would say God is very much in the teachings and practices of the Mormons. 

Not sure if you were just a troll or a genuinely frustrated member but I can echo the others by wishing you well on your next journey.

7 hours ago, felicityswims said:

Funny enough, you're right! I resigned from this God-forsaken "church" in March. So I indeed haven't worn them! Maybe I could burn them though...

Hey @felicityswims Hope things are better for you! Have you found some friends and peace somewhere? Can we help in anyway? Want to vent? We are listening!

10 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Hey @felicityswims Hope things are better for you! Have you found some friends and peace somewhere? Can we help in anyway? Want to vent? We are listening!

Mmmmm -- no, I don't agree. Best of luck to @felicityswims, but this is definitely not the place to "vent" or air your grievances against the Church (with or without scare quotes). There are plenty of filthy anti-Mormon sites where you will get lots of support indeed for such vomit.

Edited by Vort