Jacob Chapter 5 - June 29, 2017

pam

75 And it came to pass that when the Lord of the vineyard saw that his fruit was good, and that his vineyard was no more corrupt, he called up his servants, and said unto them: Behold, for this last time have we nourished my vineyard; and thou beholdest that I have done according to my will; and I have preserved the natural fruit, that it is good, even like as it was in the beginning. And blessed art thou; for because ye have been diligent in laboring with me in my vineyard, and have kept my commandments, and have brought unto me again the natural fruit, that my vineyard is no more corrupted, and the bad is cast away, behold ye shall have joy with me because of the fruit of my vineyard.

I was just reading over this verse and found it interesting that the word natural fruit is used here to represent the sweet or good fruit, while apparently the wild fruit, which would seem to be unnatural, is corrupted and undesirable to eat or lay away. Not that it has to be a direct comparison, but the message almost seems to contradict the idea of the natural man being an enemy of God. Is not the fruit representative of people? 

To be clear I'm not trying to suggest the natural man is good based on this, possibly unrelated verse. I just thought the terminology interesting and it seemed like as good a place as any to begin dialogue for this chapter. Thoughts? 

how is the natural fruit different than the natural man? Is it because the fruit is referring, not only to the mortal, but the immortal soul? In this state the nature of God's children who have kept the first estate would naturally be good fruit?

Edited by SpiritDragon

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Jacob 5 today.  I began wondering if there is a different application to the allegory.  Could this also be some kind of allegory to our own lives and our development?

We go through this grafting in and out, "prone to wander" feeling throughout our lives.  I haven't had time to actually draw all the parallels.  But It seems like it should be there.