"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

Excerpt - Declaration of Independence - July 4th, 1776 (emphasis added)

77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;

78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.

D&C 101:77-80 (emphasis added)

imageedit_2_4024970594.jpg

I am grateful to God for the freedoms I enjoy and for His hand in establishing the great land I call home.  I am grateful to those who fight to preserve our freedoms, and for the brave men who this day in 1776 prepared the Declaration of Independence and declared unequivocally that our rights come from God.  I hope and pray our constitution and freedoms will be maintained in the way the Lord intended when established by His power.  God bless America!

Edited by person0

I thought to add something I heard at church this last Sunday – interestingly from a full time and professional member of our military.  I do not remember if they were quoting Samuel Adams or Tomas Jefferson but the quote was that along the line that: – the constitution of this country was not suited for anyone except for a religious and moral people that believe in G-d. 

I would love to celebrate the founding of our nation as the only nation on earth dedicated to such a constitution but I am of the opinion that the nation that was so founded is hardly reflected in our current nation and those that have separated G-d from our constitution, laws, social order and basis for this nation.

The Traveler

38 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I thought to add something I heard at church this last Sunday – interestingly from a full time and professional member of our military.  I do not remember if they were quoting Samuel Adams or Tomas Jefferson but the quote was that along the line that: – the constitution of this country was not suited for anyone except for a religious and moral people that believe in G-d. 

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Amen. Greatest country in the history of the world. 

"Greatest" in the sense of "most powerful", but that is nothing to brag about. The only American greatness that I truly care about is the greatness of a country that established freedom and then helped export that to the rest of the world. The US is very far from perfect, as is popular to point out these days. But I maintain that the world is vastly better off with the US having been around for the last 241 years than it would have been without. In that sense, I believe America is great, arguably "the greatest" country in the world. But I am not interested in comparing relative greatness and debating whether our greatness is bigger than your greatness. I just thank God for the establishment of our great country and hope it can endure in some reasonable semblance of its historic vision of liberty for generations yet to come.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them [the people] under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Vort said:

"Greatest" in the sense of "most powerful", but that is nothing to brag about. The only American greatness that I truly care about is the greatness of a country that established freedom and then helped export that to the rest of the world. The US is very far from perfect, as is popular to point out these days. But I maintain that the world is vastly better off with the US having been around for the last 241 years than it would have been without. In that sense, I believe America is great, arguably "the greatest" country in the world. But I am not interested in comparing relative greatness and debating whether our greatness is bigger than your greatness. I just thank God for the establishment of our great country and hope it can endure in some reasonable semblance of its historic vision of liberty for generations yet to come.

A rose would wilt in your hand, buzzkill boy. 

29 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

lol. That's awesome. lol. 

And how did this "awesome" person learn @Vort's secret code name?  Further, what is it with you and revealing other people's secret code names (at least this time it's only the secret code name and not the person it belongs to)?

On 7/4/2017 at 10:51 AM, person0 said:

I am grateful to God for the freedoms I enjoy and for His hand in establishing the great land I call home.  I am grateful to those who fight to preserve our freedoms, and for the brave men who this day in 1776 prepared the Declaration of Independence and declared unequivocally that our rights come from God.  I hope and pray our constitution and freedoms will be maintained in the way the Lord intended when established by His power.  God bless America!

Ok. Ok.  You now deserve the following quotes.

https://askgramps.org/reason-study-u-s-constitution/

AND

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek opportunity to develop whatever talents God gave me—not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say—'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."

-- Dean Alfange (Oh, how the Democrat Party has changed).

This could easily be modified thusly:

I do not choose to be a natural man.  It is my right to be a child of God.  I seek opportunity to develop whatever talents God gave me, to secure blessings in heaven, not to secure filthy lucre on earth.  I do not wish to be an ignorant child, unfettered by knowledge and responsibility.  I wish to weather the storm; to succeed in each trial; to survive the refiner's fire, to know that I have relied on no man, but on the Lord for my strength and support.  I refuse to sell eternity to get a toy.  I prefer the growth of hardship than mere existence in meager comfort; the thrill of fulfillment to the staleness of the calm.  I will not sell my tokens for money, nor my birthright for a mess of pottage.  I will not cower before any man, but God alone shall I fear.  It is my divine inheritance to stand erect, proud, and unafraid; to think and act, rather than to be acted upon, to keep my eye single to the glory of God so my confidence shall wax strong in His presence and say,"By thy grace have I come.  In thy strength shall I go."

All this is what it means to be a Saint.

Edited by Guest

Happy Filipino-American Friendship Day.

July 4, 1946 - the day the Philippines became a sovereign nation from the Americans.  We don't call this our Independence Day.  Independence Day is June 12, 1898 when the Philippines planted the Philippine Flag on the Malacanang Palace signaling the end of Spanish Rule.