Hi! 

I am the only mormon in my fam, so a lot of things I have to discover about the church I discover by myself or from church. Vut I feel like garementsgarments isnt really a topic anyone talks about in church. I know what they are. I know when you can get them. I know their purpose. My wuestion is is do you have to wear garments? Like when I grow up do I have to wear them 24/7? (With the exception of swimming and such). Not that Im not okay with that I am just curious :)  So heres my question more easily stated: Do all faithful LDS members wear garments, or do they choose?

Any I know you can do whatever you want I mean is it okay with the church. Like coffee I could drink it but I am told not to and it is bad if I do. Is it like that if with garments?

Edited by RooTheMormon
Sorry for any mistakes my autocorrect is weird.

Note: a reason garments have been talked about especially lately is that the church is discontinuing a few styles to replace them with new ones.  This happens... well, so uncommonly I can't think of the last time *blush*.  So yeah, we on the board have been discussing it more lately as a current news event thing.

You receive your garments when you receive your endowments at the temple as a adult.  This could be 1) before your mission, 2) before you get sealed, or 3) just some other time when you feel ready.  As part of the endowment, we convent to wear them night and day, to remind us of our commitment to Christ.  Now, this is obviously not literally every minute of everyday.  The most common exceptions are removal for sex, swimming, and sports.  Obviously an endowed member can choose to renegade on their promise to God, but that's not a good thing. 

Edited by Jane_Doe

The best thing my parents did in this regard was to teach us as children to dress as though we already wore garments.  I have never given it a second thought until after seeing quite a few complain about wearing garments.  I do not understand their complaints.  I assume my lack of understanding comes from only ever buying and wearing clothing which would properly cover garments.  Thus, my advice to all young people is to dress as though you already wore garments - then you won't have to stop wearing this or that article of clothing, you won't have to adjust your thinking, and you're more likely to be wearing modest clothing which all of us should be doing anyway.

Guest MormonGator

You don't have to wear garments-no one is going to force you or ask you if you are wearing them. However, if you receive your endowment in the temple than you are expected to wear them. For those of us who don't wear them for whatever reason, no one really knows unless you tell them. I'm not sure garment wearing LDS really care if you wear them or not either. 

You do have to wear them if you want to go back to the temple and be worthy to go, after you've gotten your endowments done. No, random members aren't going to really care about the day-to-day or question you about it except the leaders during the temple recommend interview. Heavenly Father will care because you've made the promise to Him to wear them.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

You don't have to wear garments-no one is going to force you or ask you if you are wearing them. However, if you receive your endowment in the temple than you are expected to wear them.

Yup.

I see it as the proverbial cake. When you receive your endowment, you're essentially agreeing along with a host of other things to wear the garment for reasonably yet virtually all of the time. I'm sure there are exceptions, but those are so few and far between they must be unique special circumstances with unique and special advice to the point that they can't be used as justification for not wearing the garment. (not suggesting you're searching for justification, just letting you know how this works.) No one is going to hold your hand when it comes to this, but no one should be lamenting about how they want to go to the temple but don't feel up to wearing the garment.

I think garments should be worn during sports, and as often as possible, as it is a sacred thing we commit to wearing throughour our life.  It may help us to remember to dress modestly at all times and they can be changed, as needed.  I know no church doctrine that says to remove them for sports but I do know of doctrine that we should seek to wear them vs not.

12 hours ago, RooTheMormon said:

Hi! 

I am the only mormon in my fam, so a lot of things I have to discover about the church I discover by myself or from church. Vut I feel like garementsgarments isnt really a topic anyone talks about in church. I know what they are. I know when you can get them. I know their purpose. My wuestion is is do you have to wear garments? Like when I grow up do I have to wear them 24/7? (With the exception of swimming and such). Not that Im not okay with that I am just curious :)  So heres my question more easily stated: Do all faithful LDS members wear garments, or do they choose?

Any I know you can do whatever you want I mean is it okay with the church. Like coffee I could drink it but I am told not to and it is bad if I do. Is it like that if with garments?

@RooTheMormon, I'm curious. You are the only member of your family that is Mormon and you are not an adult, is that correct? (your phrase "when I grow up") You seem to be unfamiliar with certain aspects of the LDS church, like drinking coffee. I would think that during your discussions with the missionaries they would have explained the WofW to you. What made you choose to join the LDS church?

M.

@Maureen Yes I am still young. I have been a member of the church for a while now, only a couple months shorter than others my age. I am familiar with the rules about coffee, I am familiar with many things regrading the church. But its very hard for me to learn these things when I am not allowed to attend church anymore. Ive just been mainly asking questions on the forum to clarify.

Edited by RooTheMormon
And yes I am very familiar with the word of wisdom.

51 minutes ago, RooTheMormon said:

@Maureen Yes I am still young. I have been a member of the church for a while now, only a couple months shorter than others my age. I am familiar with the rules about coffee, I am familiar with many things regrading the church. But its very hard for me to learn these things when I am not allowed to attend church anymore. Ive just been mainly asking questions on the forum to clarify.

Now I'm even more curious. I've read your posts and believe you are younger than 16 years old. I'm guessing that your parents gave their permission for you to be baptized but now they are not allowing you to attend church?

I understand if you do not wish to answer my curiosity.

M.

@Maureen I can see why you would be confused... its a confusing situation. When I was baptized my parents had different views of the church. Now they arent as willing to let me participate because of certain things they disagree with. They wont let me go to church anymore and they also wont allow any of my other sibs. to be baptized.

And yes I am under 16, I am 13.

4 minutes ago, RooTheMormon said:

@Maureen I can see why you would be confused... its a confusing situation. When I was baptized my parents had different views of the church. Now they arent as willing to let me participate because of certain things they disagree with. They wont let me go to church anymore and they also wont allow any of my other sibs. to be baptized.

Dear @RooTheMormon. Big Hugs! Proud of you! Don't forget to pray and read the scriptures! Link to recent talk by Pres Monsonhttps://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/04/the-power-of-the-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

12 minutes ago, RooTheMormon said:

I second what @Sunday21 has said! That takes a lot of faith to stick with something that you believe in while others you love may not anymore. This site has many people who have strong testimonies of the gospel, as well as a lot of knowledge about it. It's a great place to discuss questions you have if you aren't able to discuss it with friends or family, or people at church anymore. 

35 minutes ago, RooTheMormon said:

@RooTheMormon, thanks for the reply. I think I understand your situation a little better.

M.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 6:06 AM, Jane_Doe said:

Note: a reason garments have been talked about especially lately is that the church is discontinuing a few styles to replace them with new ones.  This happens... well, so uncommonly I can't think of the last time *blush*.  So yeah, we on the board have been discussing it more lately as a current news event thing.

You receive your garments when you receive your endowments at the temple as a adult.  This could be 1) before your mission, 2) before you get sealed, or 3) just some other time when you feel ready.  As part of the endowment, we convent to wear them night and day, to remind us of our commitment to Christ.  Now, this is obviously not literally every minute of everyday.  The most common exceptions are removal for sex, swimming, and sports.  Obviously an endowed member can choose to renegade on their promise to God, but that's not a good thing. 

As a recent convert getting endowed soon I had no idea that discontinuing styles was a big thing.. ooh I wonder what they will be replaced with

5 hours ago, An Investigator said:

As a recent convert getting endowed soon I had no idea that discontinuing styles was a big thing

It's an unusual thing that only happens every some odd years, not a super-super big thing.  It's most impactful if one of those styles if the one you perter- the minute my little sister heard about this she went online and bulk ordered a bunch of her favorite style as they are getting discontinued. 

5 hours ago, An Investigator said:

ooh I wonder what they will be replaced with

I've heard rumor grape vine (and all it's reliableness) speaking of a stretch-cotton design coming out in 2018.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Are garments "private", or just sacred?  If you go to the gym, do you change into your garments in the locker room?

A bit of both.  In handbook 2 21.1.42, there are some instructions.  Different people will handle the gym differently, depending on the level of privacy there - some might simply put on gym clothes before going and change out of them when they get back home.  Others might change in a shower or bathroom stall.  Others might change in the locker area without worrying about it.  Some will wear the garment under their exercise clothes, others won't.  Really depends on the person.  The handbook guidelines are the only guidelines I know of - after that, it's individual decision.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

A bit of both.  In handbook 2 21.1.42, there are some instructions.  Different people will handle the gym differently, depending on the level of privacy there - some might simply put on gym clothes before going and change out of them when they get back home.  Others might change in a shower or bathroom stall.  Others might change in the locker area without worrying about it.  Some will wear the garment under their exercise clothes, others won't.  Really depends on the person.  The handbook guidelines are the only guidelines I know of - after that, it's individual decision.

Thank you! It says they shouldn't be displayed or exposed to view of people who don't understand it.  I guess that answers my question.  At my work, there is zero privacy for changing.  I don't know how someone would get around that.

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Thank you! It says they shouldn't be displayed or exposed to view of people who don't understand it.  I guess that answers my question.  At my work, there is zero privacy for changing.  I don't know how someone would get around that.

My personal $0.02, other people's thoughts do vary:

I've been in zero privacy locker rooms.  I don't consider my changing body to be on display there, nor other people's bodies to be on display.  The locker room is a place simply to change clothes, not to stare at each other.  Hence, I don't mind changing my garments there.