10 hours ago, anatess2 said:

My progress is currently a regress.  I'm very sad to report that I'm getting old.  I seem to get injured for the littlest thing.  I need a change in tactic!

what tactics have you tried and what is still open to you? I can't help but wonder if you have the answers you need already, as no-one is a better expert on you (besides God) than you. So if you think about what has or hasn't worked for you, you can hopefully find the answers you're looking for.

Consider:

When you try to start or stop a behaviour cold-turkey/all-in do you go strong and then have a hiccup that stops everything? In contrast have you tried to back into things slowly, only to find that you revert into old habits faster than the gradual approach overcomes them?

A great book for helping identify things that help to influence our behaviours is called Change Anything:The New Science of Personal Success - you might really find it helpful.

12 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

what tactics have you tried and what is still open to you? I can't help but wonder if you have the answers you need already, as no-one is a better expert on you (besides God) than you. So if you think about what has or hasn't worked for you, you can hopefully find the answers you're looking for.

Consider:

When you try to start or stop a behaviour cold-turkey/all-in do you go strong and then have a hiccup that stops everything? In contrast have you tried to back into things slowly, only to find that you revert into old habits faster than the gradual approach overcomes them?

A great book for helping identify things that help to influence our behaviours is called Change Anything:The New Science of Personal Success - you might really find it helpful.

I need that book!

I have one tactic - eat clean and don't eat more than you can expend.  I don't do "diet" because it has a temporary connotation to it.

Well, I noticed that I can't expend 1500 calories anymore and doing more work get me injured.  So, I have to figure out how to work without getting injured or to lower the calories.  I haven't been able to figure out a sustainable way to do that yet.

18 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Break room free food, Chick-fil-a Free Breakfast Wednesdays, church potlucks - all are a threat.

2014-09-26-1064party.gif

My solution is to only go to EXPENSIVE buffets.  That way you only go on rare occasions.  And when you go, you get the best quality food.

Free buffets are the bane of my existence.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I need that book!

I have one tactic - eat clean and don't eat more than you can expend.  I don't do "diet" because it has a temporary connotation to it.

Well, I noticed that I can't expend 1500 calories anymore and doing more work get me injured.  So, I have to figure out how to work without getting injured or to lower the calories.  I haven't been able to figure out a sustainable way to do that yet.

In my experience the most common cause of falling off a healthy eating plan and the most common cause of injury when starting an exercise regime is trying to do too much too fast. However, on rare occasions the opposite can be true that the problem is not doing enough and getting discouraged that results aren't occurring.Until you can get your hands on the book, you might also like the idea of tiny habits. Tiny habits involve making small sequential changes which makes change more manageable and allows for building on successes.

For instance when it comes to what you eat, is there one thing that you know you shouldn't be doing that you could modify or give up, or something you know you should be doing but aren't? Perhaps you drink a lot of liquid calories, you could opt to only drink water except for special occasions. If you know you don't eat enough vegetables, you can set a small goal to always eat an extra serving of vegetables with lunch or supper for instance. As far as exercise goes it could be a simple matter of starting with walking up and down a flight of stairs once per day - no need to make it too difficult, you want to build on success, so make the changes so easy that you have no excuse on a given day not to do them, then keep in mind that over time the changes will become bigger because you'll be creating cumulative changes. What you want to shoot for is being able to answer the following question with a nine or ten: How confident am I that I can make this change happen? If a 10 represents you are completely sure you can do it and you answer anything less than nine, you need to simplify your goal for the week. Once you have successfully built a new small change for a week or two you can try adding another, but if it doesn't go to well, you may need to take a little longer to cement your new habits before adding more.

I definitely agree about the little habits thing. As soon as I got out here that's what I did. lol, I remember when my aunt and I first walked around the half a mile block where we live and I was dying, by the time we got home and had to stop to rest frequently. Now, I walk 4-5 miles each day but I got there by progressively adding miles and giving myself plenty of  time to stop and rest when I'd add more length. It often meant arriving to work a bit early occasionally but the habit is born now.

Also, I like what @NeuroTypical said about gratification and I agree, it's not necessarily that I do it for the attention because I really just want to be able to go wherever I want with no limitations on my body, to feel energetic and feel good. People's compliments or noticing the loss definitely keeps me pumped and willing to continue during this process though. Cheat days also works for me. I don't count calories but I know a bad snack when I see one. It keeps me motivated and keeps me from falling too far if I occasionally eat something greasy, super bready, or sugary. Like the pizza on Monday night. That was great! And now I can put it aside, and dismiss any cravings because I JUST had pizza. I'm good! The rest is healthy lifestyle changes to my overall diet, which, I get people thinking that word means "fads" or "limiting food" but a diet is "how you eat." Like, eating a ton of McDonald's is called an "unhealthy diet." Not because you're on some crazy fad or limiting how much you eat but because those choices of food patterns are unhealthy; that diet is unhealthy, etc. If you're "dieting" that has different connotations, obviously more related to the colloquial use of the word.

1 hour ago, SpiritDragon said:

In my experience the most common cause of falling off a healthy eating plan and the most common cause of injury when starting an exercise regime is trying to do too much too fast. However, on rare occasions the opposite can be true that the problem is not doing enough and getting discouraged that results aren't occurring.Until you can get your hands on the book, you might also like the idea of tiny habits. Tiny habits involve making small sequential changes which makes change more manageable and allows for building on successes.

For instance when it comes to what you eat, is there one thing that you know you shouldn't be doing that you could modify or give up, or something you know you should be doing but aren't? Perhaps you drink a lot of liquid calories, you could opt to only drink water except for special occasions. If you know you don't eat enough vegetables, you can set a small goal to always eat an extra serving of vegetables with lunch or supper for instance. As far as exercise goes it could be a simple matter of starting with walking up and down a flight of stairs once per day - no need to make it too difficult, you want to build on success, so make the changes so easy that you have no excuse on a given day not to do them, then keep in mind that over time the changes will become bigger because you'll be creating cumulative changes. What you want to shoot for is being able to answer the following question with a nine or ten: How confident am I that I can make this change happen? If a 10 represents you are completely sure you can do it and you answer anything less than nine, you need to simplify your goal for the week. Once you have successfully built a new small change for a week or two you can try adding another, but if it doesn't go to well, you may need to take a little longer to cement your new habits before adding more.

That's a cool video!

So, I identified some problem areas that I need to work on and do a tiny habits thing on them:

1.) I don't drink enough water.  I average 24 ounces a day.  Way too little, right?  I think this is a contributor to my joint injuries.  I say to set a goal of 64 ounces.  I'll think about how I can get there with tiny habits.

2.) Rice.  This I can't (well, more like won't) eliminate.  But, I can cut out rice intake past 4pm.

3.) Skipping breakfast.  I am such a cranky lady in the morning that by the time I'm fit for society, it's almost lunch time.  So, I skip breakfast and go enjoy lunch.  My husband thinks that's not a good habit.

4.) Running/Rollerblading.  I need to replace these activities.  My knees are killing me.  Not sure what's gonna be fun.  I hate the gym.  I don't use the word hate lightly.  ;)

Those should be good to start off with.

33 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

I definitely agree about the little habits thing. As soon as I got out here that's what I did. lol, I remember when my aunt and I first walked around the half a mile block where we live and I was dying, by the time we got home and had to stop to rest frequently. Now, I walk 4-5 miles each day but I got there by progressively adding miles and giving myself plenty of  time to stop and rest when I'd add more length. It often meant arriving to work a bit early occasionally but the habit is born now.

Also, I like what @NeuroTypical said about gratification and I agree, it's not necessarily that I do it for the attention because I really just want to be able to go wherever I want with no limitations on my body, to feel energetic and feel good. People's compliments or noticing the loss definitely keeps me pumped and willing to continue during this process though. Cheat days also works for me. I don't count calories but I know a bad snack when I see one. It keeps me motivated and keeps me from falling too far if I occasionally eat something greasy, super bready, or sugary. Like the pizza on Monday night. That was great! And now I can put it aside, and dismiss any cravings because I JUST had pizza. I'm good! The rest is healthy lifestyle changes to my overall diet, which, I get people thinking that word means "fads" or "limiting food" but a diet is "how you eat." Like, eating a ton of McDonald's is called an "unhealthy diet." Not because you're on some crazy fad or limiting how much you eat but because those choices of food patterns are unhealthy; that diet is unhealthy, etc. If you're "dieting" that has different connotations, obviously more related to the colloquial use of the word.

Food pattern.  I like that!

I don't have too much of a problem with food pattern.  Growing up in the Philippines, I have this instinctive aversion to "processed foods".  They cost an arm and a leg in the Philippines!   Spam is "rich people" food.  Fresh fish is "poor people" food.

I'm such a lazy cook that we eat out a lot.  I need to investigate my eating-out food patterns and see what changes can be done.  Yesterday we went to this seafood place and I downed half a pound of snow crab legs soaked in malt vinegar and did not touch the side items that went with it, nor the butter.  That was good pattern.  But I did have fried calamari for appetizer.  I don't really need to eat the calamari.  I just did because it was something to do while waiting for the meal.  These little things gets us in trouble...

Edited by anatess2

• 2 weeks later...

So, Sunday weigh in: 238 lbs! I am just relieved that I keep losing weight and not gaining any of it back, although I wish I had more self control and could lose more, faster. I broke down and had some Chinese food this week and ate at Taco Bell twice. My favorite is that crunchy taco put inside a soft taco with cheese between them. I don't know what it is called and I better not learn the name of it. This week, it rained and all of a sudden it is cold now. That chill of autumn has definitively set in. Going to try on my skinny jeans tonight and see if I can start wearing them because it'd be nice to wear something a little longer than my capris while I walk to work. Even if they do end up being a little snug for a bit. Wish me luck!

Oh! And some pictures I've been meaning to post. Orange shirt is August 17 and blue shirt is September 6. Do I look skinnier than the pic in the OP? It's hard for me to tell, even as my clothes fall off of me, lol. Sometimes I look in the mirror and I think the scale is lying to me.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

25 minutes ago, a mustard seed said:

So, Sunday weigh in: 238 lbs! I am just relieved that I keep losing weight and not gaining any of it back, although I wish I had more self control and could lose more, faster.

Get on a bike.  A human on a bicycle is a more efficient machine than pretty much every other mode of transport, but that just means you ride farther.

Don't let yourself eat fast food unless you ride to get it.  With a little practice, start taking the long way.

When you're doing 20+ miles for a taco box, it'll balance out quite well.

1 minute ago, NightSG said:

Get on a bike.  A human on a bicycle is a more efficient machine than pretty much every other mode of transport, but that just means you ride farther.

Don't let yourself eat fast food unless you ride to get it.  With a little practice, start taking the long way.

When you're doing 20+ miles for a taco box, it'll balance out quite well.

I think walking is alright. I cannot afford a bike right now and it's not necessary. I can get places pretty fast just by walking. Maybe in a few years when I'm not using all my money for rent and school savings. I do like the idea though of walking a certain amount of miles before rewarding myself with certain foods! That is good motivation as well!

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, NightSG said:

I like this idea.  Thanks for the reminder, I need to get my bike fixed...

Guest LiterateParakeet

@a mustard seed  I love the pictures.  Yes, I can see a difference in the three.  Good job!  Keep it up.  

Also...FWIW....I think blue is a better color on your than orange....so wear blue not orange on your next date, LOL.  

Thanks for sharing your journey.  I have read that it is helpful to have accountability when working towards a goal.  But I can't imagine posting pictures of myself and sharing my weight...eek, I'm a chicken.  But I will go out on a limb and say...we are very close in weight.  I'm not sharing any pictures though. :)  (Friend me on Facebook if you want to know what i look like, people.)  

I know what you mean about thinking the scale is lying to you.  I feel so much lighter and better, and well...thinner.  Then I look in the mirror and think, that's not me!  I'm thin!  LOL.  

Keep up the good work. 

Congrats and goodluck on your journey, looks like you are doing awesome.

My wife struggled in her 30s losing weight until about 2yrs ago (she is now 40) when she joined a gym and got a personal trainer which was against my wishes because it cost $100 an hour. This was the extra kick and motivation to help her stick to a strict workout routine and diet, she did low carb diet at first and lost 40 lbs, now she is trying the keto diet because it eliminates carbs completely. It really is a lifestyle change, she says that she doesnt even crave sweets, in fact her cravings are for carrots, fruits and peanuts because that is a no-no in the keto diet. She looks really good but the key is to be disciplined and eventually turn it into your lifestyle. Earlier this year she went on a 1 week vacation trip and cheated on her diet and gained 10lbs really easy.

My mom also went on the keto diet a year ago because she has been type2 diabetic the past 20 years, she has eliminated her insulin shots while on this diet.

Thank you so much for the support you guys! You really made my day with your messages. <3 <3 <3 <3 I sometimes forget how far I've come and to take the time to enjoy it. I was able to wear jeans today that wouldn't fit up my thighs before coming to Rexburg today, so, that was another thing to just hammer home how much has changed for me. *hugs for everyone*

@priesthoodpower I don't think I could do that diet. It would not be a sustainable lifestyle choice for me. Unless eating carbs made me ill, I will probably never be able to let them go(unless it became a commandment, then I'd have to pray every day for the Spirit to console me through the loss of pasta and Italian bread and bagels). I really respect people who are willing and able to give certain things up for the long haul.

19665302_1845824308765341_34495943599003  IMG_0564.JPG

I find sometimes it really helps to have a side by side. Yes your changes are noticeable. It is really apparent when looking at the length of the narrowing in your waist, notice how as your waist tapers inward below the bust and then outward again at the hips that you have created a lot more space then you had in your initial picture. Keep on rocking!

22 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

And I just had a bad luck setback.  Got a minor outpatient procedure, and it's going to take 3 dang weeks to get back to my exercise routine.  Curse you, impacted sweat gland thing!  You make it so any exercise must be followed with a 30 minute rebandaging!

Yeah, sure - using the old impacted sweat gland excuse. Come on, at least come up with something original! ;)

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear that, it's so frustrating when life gets in the way of life.

22 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

And I just had a bad luck setback.  Got a minor outpatient procedure, and it's going to take 3 dang weeks to get back to my exercise routine.  Curse you, impacted sweat gland thing!  You make it so any exercise must be followed with a 30 minute rebandaging!

Oh man! Sorry to hear that! I hope you're able to get back on your feet and active soon. <3

11 hours ago, NightSG said:

What area are you in?  Some places have bike co-ops or similar where you can get something used as cheap as you need it to be. 

...I really enjoy walking. Thank you so much for your advice, NightSG. <3