15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I had powdered donuts for dinner last night.

You know, bike touring can burn as much as 10,000 calories a day.  Just think of the junk food you could justify with that.

(Yes, that's for long climbing days, like riding up the Continental Divide, but 4-6,000/day isn't that hard to maintain.)

a Mustard Seed, I've been using your thread to stay motivated myself.  If I'm counting right in your posts, your 25 lbs in 5 weeks thing is inspiring. 

I'm down 16 lbs in 10 weeks or so.  Last week I shifted from my "conceal my fat" shirts to my "my chest finally sticks out further than my belly if I stand right" shirts.  Pushups rock.  

On 8/13/2017 at 10:56 PM, a mustard seed said:

Sunday weigh in: 250 lbs. I didn't check in last weekend because I only lost two pounds; I ate a bunch of taffy and drank a bunch of energy drinks. This week was better and I walk about 4 miles each day. Got two jobs now. I basically work and walk.

That's tough. You're doing great.

20 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Wow!  4 miles is great!

I'm just totally off the rails.  I've been totally just pleasure eating.  I had powdered donuts for dinner last night.

That just makes for a more epic come back :D

12 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

a Mustard Seed, I've been using your thread to stay motivated myself.  If I'm counting right in your posts, your 25 lbs in 5 weeks thing is inspiring. 

I'm down 16 lbs in 10 weeks or so.  Last week I shifted from my "conceal my fat" shirts to my "my chest finally sticks out further than my belly if I stand right" shirts.  Pushups rock.  

Woohoo! And thank you! I'm glad it's not just me able to get encouragement from this thread! And yes, I've lost 25 lbs. since moving to Rexburg. I am starting to notice small differences like certain clothes getting looser but so far looking in the mirror, my hips and middle still seem thick to me. But, I'm in it for the long haul; I would love 3 years from now to be able to walk 4 miles a day like I have been with the same amount of "taking a lovely stroll" feeling that I do now.

You do pushups? I've thought about other workout type things but the only thing I like to do is walk, lol. Keep up the good work, NeuroTypical! You can do it! We'll all get real pretty and then have a mormonhub get together with a fabulous group photo, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad week. Didn't lose anything. But, the silver lining is, I haven't gained anything back. I'm still at 246 lbs.from what I weighed last weekend. Working has been both a blessing and a curse because now that I have a good flow of money, I am more likely to make bad choices. I like to stop at Broulim's to get breakfast and the bagels are really cheap. So, each day, I've been buying a bagel and an energy drink. Lunch is a protein bar and I usually am not able to eat dinner until 8 or 9 at night because of how late I work. It works out well because I'll eat small portions as well and be full enough to sleep. Also, on my birthday, my cousin introduced me to the shop Runnin 4 Sweets and altho I'm able to resist the candy, I like to try sodas from their novelty section every once in a while. Plus, eclipse day was my birthday, and we had peach cobbler and brownies and ice cream AND I had gummy candy as a present. So, this week was full of bad choices, lol. Next week I'll try better.

Also, work has been a curse because on Tuesday with my brand new tennis shoes(exactly like my old, just new and not worn out) I was walking to work and it began to rain. By the time I got to work my shoes were soaked but I was not able to take them nor my socks off until 8 or 9 at night(and they got wet at 8 or 9 in the morning). Now, at the end of the week, I tried walking home yesterday and this sensitivity on the bottom of my feet that has gotten progressively worse made it impossible and I had to get a ride home. The sensitivity feels like a callous right in the fold between the pad for the muscle under my big toe and the rest of the muscles under the toes. Like, my toes are fine, the middle of my foot is fine, the arch is fine, and the heel is fine. It's those pads where the toes meet the foot, not sure what they're called, and right in the middle, right after the big pad under my big toes, on both feet. I poked the left side one with a pin last night and it wasn't full of puss or bleeding or anything but watery, like I'd popped a blister. There's not one on the other one though. To the touch, they feel like callouses and they hurt to be touched or when I flex my feet inward so that part of the foot creases. Thank goodness I have Sundays off. Going to rest and pray that by Monday I am able to walk on them.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, a mustard seed said:

Bad week. Didn't lose anything. But, the silver lining is, I haven't gained anything back. I'm still at 246 lbs.from what I weighed last weekend. Working has been both a blessing and a curse because now that I have a good flow of money, I am more likely to make bad choices. I like to stop at Broulim's to get breakfast and the bagels are really cheap. So, each day, I've been buying a bagel and an energy drink. Lunch is a protein bar and I usually am not able to eat dinner until 8 or 9 at night because of how late I work. It works out well because I'll eat small portions as well and be full enough to sleep. Also, on my birthday, my cousin introduced me to the shop Runnin 4 Sweets and altho I'm able to resist the candy, I like to try sodas from their novelty section every once in a while. Plus, eclipse day was my birthday, and we had peach cobbler and brownies and ice cream AND I had gummy candy as a present. So, this week was full of bad choices, lol. Next week I'll try better.

Also, work has been a curse because on Tuesday with my brand new tennis shoes(exactly like my old, just new and not worn out) I was walking to work and it began to rain. By the time I got to work my shoes were soaked but I was not able to take them nor my socks off until 8 or 9 at night(and they got wet at 8 or 9 in the morning). Now, at the end of the week, I tried walking home yesterday and this sensitivity on the bottom of my feet that has gotten progressively worse made it impossible and I had to get a ride home. The sensitivity feels like a callous right in the fold between the pad for the muscle under my big toe and the rest of the muscles under the toes. Like, my toes are fine, the middle of my foot is fine, the arch is fine, and the heel is fine. It's those pads where the toes meet the foot, not sure what they're called, and right in the middle, right after the big pad under my big toes, on both feet. I poked the left side one with a pin last night and it wasn't full of puss or bleeding or anything but watery, like I'd popped a blister. There's not one on the other one though. To the touch, they feel like callouses and they hurt to be touched or when I flex my feet inward so that part of the foot creases. Thank goodness I have Sundays off. Going to rest and pray that by Monday I am able to walk on them.

Remember not to be too hard on yourself on the bad weeks/days. We all have them and the big picture is what matters. SO amazing of you to make the changes in your life. It's inspiring to all of us, no doubt. 

On 8/27/2017 at 8:49 AM, a mustard seed said:

Bad week. Didn't lose anything. But, the silver lining is, I haven't gained anything back.

Here is another helpful hint:

We tend to think of calories in / calories out.  While this is technically true, the practical application of that principle has some other realities that makes it more complicated.  While there is no way to say that calories in / calories out is false (because it's absolutely true) we have to understand why we eat the calories that we do.

1) We eat because of nutritional need.  The only time we really know this is when we're deficient in something.  If you're deficient in a vitamin or mineral or whatever, you're going to find yourself craving something that has it.  Somehow on a subconscious level, our bodies know what nutrients are in what foods that we've eaten or smelled or...  Little known fact: if your body is deficient in magnesium, you will crave chocolate.  Cocoa has a healthy level of magnesium.  Try swallowing a single grain of epsom salt.  For many, the chocolate craving will go away.  Vitamin C will cause some (even those who don't like it) to crave liver.  The list goes on.

But that is why it is important to eat the vitamins and minerals we need.  So our cravings won't push us to eat things that are otherwise unhealthy.

2) We eat because we're hungry.  This may seem obvious.  But we don't think about this as much when we're in the planning stages.  There are five things that fill our stomachs: Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Fiber, and water.  

• We obviously need to remain hydrated.  But another reason it is good to drink plenty of water is to keep our stomachs full between meals.  But don't overdo this.  With too much water, you can get water intoxication.
  • Fiber is a calorie free filler.  It stays in our stomachs and keeps it full until it comes out the other end.  Most foods have some fiber.  But some more than others.  And there are different types of fiber.  One doctor told me that if you ate plenty of vegetables, the fiber content would make colon cancer about as rare as malaria in a developed country.
  • Carbs are just the standard thing.  This is the perfect example of calories in / calories out.  But too high a percentage of this can cause problems with your body.
  • Fats are absorbed the same way a carbs.  But once in the bloodstream, the body treats it differently.  The cells don't immediately burn fats.  It waits until all other sources are burned, favoring storage of fats as opposed to burning it immediately.  Other sources of calories have a lower % stored as fat and a higher percentage leaked out in urine.
  • Protein is really important.  Protein actually sends signals to your body to slow the digestion process.  This is because you can only absorb about 5 to 10 grams of fat per hour. So, if you get all your protein in three meals, then you'd really be protein deficient if you relied on that 1.5 hour window that it would normally take to complete the journey to the large intestine.  So, your digestion goes slower with increased percentages of protein.  And if you eat more calories from protein, less of it is actually absorbed into your body.  Hence, it behaves like fiber after that ceiling has been reached.

3) The Sweet Tooth.  Actually, this is with any compulsory eating.  Compulsion is one thing that gets people.  And when you're on a restricted calorie diet, it is really easy to fall into this.  I have a compulsion to eat kim chee.  No joke.  Any time I see it, I just WANT to eat some.  Now, it's just vegetables.  So no problem, right?  Wrong.  Kim chee is usually eaten as a condiment on rice.  So, when I want to eat kim chee, I usually want to eat a bunch of rice -- a bunch of calories.  To you it may be likened to putting dressing on a salad.  The salad is pure vegetables.  But then you have to have sauce on it...

4) You also don't want to have too few calories in your diet either.  If you go below a certain threshold, your body goes into starvation mode.  You absorb more calories from your food and more of it gets stored as fat.  So, whatever that threshold is for you, stay above it.  

Exercise more.  Exercise more.  That is the only real way to LOSE fat already stored in your body.  Aerobic activity is the only thing that changes the burning of stored fat.  Everything else is from the recently absorbed food we eat.

On 8/27/2017 at 9:49 AM, a mustard seed said:

Fitness is a big part of my job.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you that most energy drinks will work against you.  

Do you use moleskin?  It can be particularly useful for new boots/sneakers.  What kind of sneakers do you use?  Have you ever been fitted and had your gait checked?  Do you carry a pack when you walk?

If you've answered these questions, feel free to tell me to pipe down until I've read the thread.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:28 AM, NeuroTypical said:

how many pushups are you doing? 16 pounds in 10 weeks is great. 

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Here is another helpful hint:

We tend to think of calories in / calories out.  While this is technically true, the practical application of that principle has some other realities that makes it more complicated.  While there is no way to say that calories in / calories out is false (because it's absolutely true) we have to understand why we eat the calories that we do.

1) We eat because of nutritional need.  The only time we really know this is when we're deficient in something.  If you're deficient in a vitamin or mineral or whatever, you're going to find yourself craving something that has it.  Somehow on a subconscious level, our bodies know what nutrients are in what foods that we've eaten or smelled or...  Little known fact: if your body is deficient in magnesium, you will crave chocolate.  Cocoa has a healthy level of magnesium.  Try swallowing a single grain of epsom salt.  For many, the chocolate craving will go away.  Vitamin C will cause some (even those who don't like it) to crave liver.  The list goes on.

But that is why it is important to eat the vitamins and minerals we need.  So our cravings won't push us to eat things that are otherwise unhealthy.

2) We eat because we're hungry.  This may seem obvious.  But we don't think about this as much when we're in the planning stages.  There are five things that fill our stomachs: Carbs, Fats, Proteins, Fiber, and water.  

• We obviously need to remain hydrated.  But another reason it is good to drink plenty of water is to keep our stomachs full between meals.  But don't overdo this.  With too much water, you can get water intoxication.
  • Fiber is a calorie free filler.  It stays in our stomachs and keeps it full until it comes out the other end.  Most foods have some fiber.  But some more than others.  And there are different types of fiber.  One doctor told me that if you ate plenty of vegetables, the fiber content would make colon cancer about as rare as malaria in a developed country.
  • Carbs are just the standard thing.  This is the perfect example of calories in / calories out.  But too high a percentage of this can cause problems with your body.
  • Fats are absorbed the same way a carbs.  But once in the bloodstream, the body treats it differently.  The cells don't immediately burn fats.  It waits until all other sources are burned, favoring storage of fats as opposed to burning it immediately.  Other sources of calories have a lower % stored as fat and a higher percentage leaked out in urine.
  • Protein is really important.  Protein actually sends signals to your body to slow the digestion process.  This is because you can only absorb about 5 to 10 grams of fat per hour. So, if you get all your protein in three meals, then you'd really be protein deficient if you relied on that 1.5 hour window that it would normally take to complete the journey to the large intestine.  So, your digestion goes slower with increased percentages of protein.  And if you eat more calories from protein, less of it is actually absorbed into your body.  Hence, it behaves like fiber after that ceiling has been reached.

3) The Sweet Tooth.  Actually, this is with any compulsory eating.  Compulsion is one thing that gets people.  And when you're on a restricted calorie diet, it is really easy to fall into this.  I have a compulsion to eat kim chee.  No joke.  Any time I see it, I just WANT to eat some.  Now, it's just vegetables.  So no problem, right?  Wrong.  Kim chee is usually eaten as a condiment on rice.  So, when I want to eat kim chee, I usually want to eat a bunch of rice -- a bunch of calories.  To you it may be likened to putting dressing on a salad.  The salad is pure vegetables.  But then you have to have sauce on it...

4) You also don't want to have too few calories in your diet either.  If you go below a certain threshold, your body goes into starvation mode.  You absorb more calories from your food and more of it gets stored as fat.  So, whatever that threshold is for you, stay above it.  

Exercise more.  Exercise more.  That is the only real way to LOSE fat already stored in your body.  Aerobic activity is the only thing that changes the burning of stored fat.  Everything else is from the recently absorbed food we eat.

Thank you for the info, @Carborendum. I admit, I know basically, "protein will make you feel full and will have better value in the long run than sugars or fats" and intuitively I understand fruits and veggies are better for you overall. But other than that, I'm not too knowledgeable about health and dieting. I just instinctively know that fast food is not good for you. That sugars and sweets in excess are not good for you. That sugary drinks are not good for you. That water is good for you. So, I'm not looking to completely deprive myself but just trying to make common sense choices. Once in a while, a soda is fine. One or two every single day? Not good.

My thing is it is a compulsion thing. I'm not sure what I'd be getting from gummy candies or fizzy drinks(other than misplaced emotional comfort) but those are the things I crave the most. It might be worth trying to find out what my body needs from the different things I'm craving. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Grunt said:

Fitness is a big part of my job.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you that most energy drinks will work against you.  

Do you use moleskin?  It can be particularly useful for new boots/sneakers.  What kind of sneakers do you use?  Have you ever been fitted and had your gait checked?  Do you carry a pack when you walk?

If you've answered these questions, feel free to tell me to pipe down until I've read the thread.

I do not use moleskin. I use Kangaroos, lol. Not for any reason other than you can get them for a good price at Payless and I like the colors. The ones I have now are just sneakers/tennis shoes. They don't have any special tread and you know how tennis shoes have a kind of pumped up look to them? These have that same design but a bit slimmer, almost like a running shoe. I've never been fitted for anything or had anything checked. It wasn't like I decided I would exercise and it would be walking. It was, "Okay, I don't like being a burden and having to be driven everywhere and I don't like the gym or exercise classes and I can't use the pool on campus until I get my student ID. I have to be at work at this time....I guess I will walk to get there on time!" Now with the two jobs, it's become a thing like, "I don't have time to do this any other time and going to work/coming home are good motivations to stay active." That's it. Just like with the diet changes, I'm not really studying it so much as this is something that I've decided to do when I can do it. Yes, I carry a bookbag while I walk, usually with a change of clothes, an umbrella, and two big water bottles in it, so, it's not heavy. I carry it with both straps on both shoulders. Not a problem! Feel free to ask questions. I forget what I've already said a lot of times and don't mind repeating myself for you. :)

3 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

@a mustard seed how are your feet doing at this point in the week? I once went for a run and ended up with wet shoes and the combination of wet shoes and running left one of my feet absolutely debilitated for about a week, no fun at all.

At this point, completely healed! My aunt and uncle gave me rides Sunday through Wednesday. By Tuesday the popped blister on the bottom of my left foot(which had turned into a hole by Sunday morning) was no longer hurting me but just to be safe, they gave me a ride Wednesday morning. Now I walk on it and it's fine. I love walking so much. I was walking home tonight as the sun was setting and the wind was blowing, yet it was warm and I felt slightly winded but nothing ached or hurt and I walked home in a good 40-45 minutes. I was just reveling in the freedom to be able to go where I want to go and my feet can take me there. So, it is scary when something gets injured or wounded because I don't like to give that feeling up...but if I don't for just a little while, then it could prolong my sedentary state even more.

@a mustard seed I'm so relieved to hear that your feet are doing better, it sounded miserable.

I may be mistaken, but I get the impression that you have taken @Grunt's reference to moleskins to refer to a type of shoe (which it could), however, I believe Grunt was referring to special padding you can apply to areas that are at high risk of blistering. I've never used them myself, but I had a client who summited Mount Everest who swore by them being lifesavers.

Just now, SpiritDragon said:

@a mustard seed I'm so relieved to hear that your feet are doing better, it sounded miserable.

I may be mistaken, but I get the impression that you have taken @Grunt's reference to moleskins to refer to a type of shoe (which it could), however, I believe Grunt was referring to special padding you can apply to areas that are at high risk of blistering. I've never used them myself, but I had a client who summited Mount Everest who swore by them being lifesavers.

Oh! Lol! I did think it was a type of shoe! I thought, "Does he mean a journal? Hm, he must mean a type of shoe(assuming the journals and shoes were made out of the same thing?)" My bad. Uh, no, I did not put anything on my feet before wearing the new shoes. They were basically the same shoes I got about 6 months ago and the same size(the old ones are wearing in the heel and the inner soles so I'm glad I got new ones for my birthday) and I didn't have problems with blisters on my heels from those, so, I just assumed I wouldn't and didn't wear any bandaids or anything to prepare. They felt good on my feet. But like I said, I think the wetness and how loose and comfy they are(11s are too tight but the 12s are just a little roomy in the front) that it must have rubbed on the bottom of my feet wrong. Then I didn't wear anything except a bandaid and antibacterial inside my sneakers  during my housekeeping job and then took both off and let them air under my desk at the call center job(of course, setting my bare feet on my flipflops, because ew, to touch that carpet).

7 hours ago, a mustard seed said:

I do not use moleskin. I use Kangaroos, lol. Not for any reason other than you can get them for a good price at Payless and I like the colors. The ones I have now are just sneakers/tennis shoes. They don't have any special tread and you know how tennis shoes have a kind of pumped up look to them? These have that same design but a bit slimmer, almost like a running shoe. I've never been fitted for anything or had anything checked. It wasn't like I decided I would exercise and it would be walking. It was, "Okay, I don't like being a burden and having to be driven everywhere and I don't like the gym or exercise classes and I can't use the pool on campus until I get my student ID. I have to be at work at this time....I guess I will walk to get there on time!" Now with the two jobs, it's become a thing like, "I don't have time to do this any other time and going to work/coming home are good motivations to stay active." That's it. Just like with the diet changes, I'm not really studying it so much as this is something that I've decided to do when I can do it. Yes, I carry a bookbag while I walk, usually with a change of clothes, an umbrella, and two big water bottles in it, so, it's not heavy. I carry it with both straps on both shoulders. Not a problem! Feel free to ask questions. I forget what I've already said a lot of times and don't mind repeating myself for you. :)

You can get moleskin at almost any place that sells aspirin.  It's a life saver for blisters and callouses.  

https://www.amazon.com/Moleskin/b?ie=UTF8&node=3779981

I don't know how far you walk, but if you get chafing, use antiperspirant, too.

The right shoes will save you a LOT of headache and pain if you are walking/running any distance.  People have different strides and pronate, overpronate, etc.  This is a big deal when running, but if you are overweight and/or not used to exercising it is a factor as well.  Any running shoe store will put you on a treadmill and video your stride for free.  They will tell you what shoe you should be wearing.  If money is an issue for you, DON'T buy your shoes from them unless they have models from long past seasons.  You can buy past season models online for very cheap.  Spend money on good shoes, though.  It will save your feet, knees, hips, etc.

https://www.runnersworld.com/pronation

If you don't have a running store, you can do this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/172432-how-to-determine-foot-pronation/

Carrying weight when you walk (what we call rucking) increases the calories you burn considerably.  Carrying things in a bookbag, if it's not too heavy, should fine as long as it goes over both shoulders.  If you're putting any weight into it, which you may want to consider if you want to get a little more out of the exercise you're doing already, look into a supportive pack.  They aren't expensive (I suggest army/navy store since those packs are made for hiking) and you'll get more out of your walks and feel much more comfortable.  

https://www.americangrit.com/2017/04/12/rucking-replace-aerobic-workout/

I hope I'm not messing up your thread.  It just seems like you may be getting some "injuries" that could be avoided and I've seen people develop permanent injuries by exercising incorrectly.  I really admire your drive and desire.  Set small goals and crush them.  Thank you for sharing!

I'm going to second everything @Grunt said.  @a mustard seed, if you're working out a lot and changing your body so dramatically (which you're doing FANTASTIC at!!!), you want to have the right gear to do it safely.  The pains you're describing on this thread is very avoidable with the right gear.  Our bodies are temples: we need to take care of them.  

11 hours ago, Grunt said:

I hope I'm not messing up your thread.  It just seems like you may be getting some "injuries" that could be avoided and I've seen people develop permanent injuries by exercising incorrectly.  I really admire your drive and desire.  Set small goals and crush them.  Thank you for sharing!

Not at all! I thank you so much for providing the links and advice. Also thank you, @Jane_Doe as well. As I said, I enjoy this so much and if it is going to seriously become my main method of not only transportation but exercise for the foreseeable future, then I probably do need to take steps to make sure I am not putting undue stress on my body or risking injuries. We do have a bike and running shop right on my path to work, actually, so, I can stop by there sometime. I looked inside today but was in a hurry to get to other job, they do have a treadmill near their shoes, I think for the thing you described. I'll have to stop by when I have more time sometime soon.

Oops, forgot. Sunday weigh in: Another 3 lbs this past week. I'm down to 243 lbs. I'm starting to notice in the way I look in the mirror and...I'm basically swimming in my garments. I thought I could put off getting new ones until I reached my goal weight at 180 but give it another week or two and these puppies are going to be falling down on Sunday. >,<;; Kind of embarrassing to talk about but I am very grateful that we have a Deseret Book right next to where I work and a distribution center inside. So, as soon as I get the time, I'll have to stop by or just order them online. Seriously though, not even joking when I say I don't have time. Work at the call center is great and I love it but they keep giving me more and more hours, lol. I feel like my life is swallowed up.

Ate pizza tonight but this will likely be the only "bad thing" I have all week. I plan on sticking firmly to better meals for the rest of the week. Going to need to rely on energy drinks to keep me up at the call center for the length of time I have to be there every day but other than that, I've got some good choices available.

Great work @NeuroTypical are you doing much besides the pushups you mentioned earlier? your previous sixteen pounds and what sounds like another two belt notches in addition to said sixteen pounds (?) is really great progress. Are you willing to share how you are getting these results? No pressure though. 

On 9/4/2017 at 7:35 PM, a mustard seed said:

Oops, forgot. Sunday weigh in: Another 3 lbs this past week. I'm down to 243 lbs. I'm starting to notice in the way I look in the mirror and...I'm basically swimming in my garments. I thought I could put off getting new ones until I reached my goal weight at 180 but give it another week or two and these puppies are going to be falling down on Sunday. >,<;; Kind of embarrassing to talk about but I am very grateful that we have a Deseret Book right next to where I work and a distribution center inside. So, as soon as I get the time, I'll have to stop by or just order them online. Seriously though, not even joking when I say I don't have time. Work at the call center is great and I love it but they keep giving me more and more hours, lol. I feel like my life is swallowed up.

Ate pizza tonight but this will likely be the only "bad thing" I have all week. I plan on sticking firmly to better meals for the rest of the week. Going to need to rely on energy drinks to keep me up at the call center for the length of time I have to be there every day but other than that, I've got some good choices available.

Way to go @a mustard seed you're doing great. Hang in there.

@anatess2 how is your progress going? I know you ran into some setbacks a while ago, did you pick yourself up and dust yourself off? Anything we can do to help you get rolling again if you haven't yet?

11 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Way to go @a mustard seed you're doing great. Hang in there.

@anatess2 how is your progress going? I know you ran into some setbacks a while ago, did you pick yourself up and dust yourself off? Anything we can do to help you get rolling again if you haven't yet?

My progress is currently a regress.  I'm very sad to report that I'm getting old.  I seem to get injured for the littlest thing.  I need a change in tactic!

On 9/5/2017 at 9:02 PM, SpiritDragon said:

Are you willing to share how you are getting these results? No pressure though. 

No way around it, the key is diet and exercise.  Motivation is hard to get, but once I get some, I keep motivated. 

For diet, I use the "LoseIt" app and log everything I consume.  The goal thing there is to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week.  

For exercise, I do strength training and elliptical at my work's wellness center.  I also take more breaks and walk around the building for 10 minutes.  And I'm currently in day 10 of a 30/30 pushup challenge - thirty pushups every day for thirty days.  I fall out of bed in the morning and do them, crying and cursing my fate, but then I'm good for the day.

Motivations:
- I want to reach my goal for Halloween, so I can be a whatever-I'm-going-to-be, without being a fat pudgy whatever-I'm-going-to-be.
- I want to be a leaner, more healthy me for my wife and daughters.  
- I like to hear occasional admiration and praise from random people.  I get a huge kick out of participating in threads like this.  It is true that one should lay up treasures in heaven, but when it comes to motivation to not give up here, I'm a shameless attention-whore who is doing it to be accepted by the world. My excuse is the attention is not the goal, but a means to stay motivated in order to accomplish a worthy goal.  
- I want to see what the pushup challenge does to my muscles and endurance.  
- Strength training just plain feels good.  I recognize the endorphin dump, but also just the feel of the worked-out muscles is very satisfying.  I know what drives those dudes at the gym to sit there and flex for themselves in the mirror - it feels good.  
- Every time I am down one pound to a new low, I get a 'cheat day' and eat whatever I want, as much as I want, for a full day.

21 lbs as of this morning.  Next cheat day at 23 lbs.  Time to drown my sorrows in my morning diet coke.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

No way around it, the key is diet and exercise.  

For diet, I use the "loseit" app and log everything I consume.  The goal thing there is to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week.  Every time I reach a new low, I treat myself to a 'cheat day'.

For exercise, I do strength training and elliptical at my work's wellness center.  I also take more breaks and walk around the building for 10 minutes.  And I'm currently in day 10 of a 30/30 pushup challenge - thirty pushups every day for thirty days.  I fall out of bed in the morning and do them, crying and cursing my fate, but then I'm good for the day.

21 lbs as of this morning.  Next cheat day at 23 lbs.  Time to drown my sorrows in my morning diet coke.

No no no... you have to do this every single day.  EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  Until your hair falls off.

:D

Heh - I've watched a video or two of people trying to actually follow Saitama's workout regimen.  They can do it about 2 days in a row then they die and give up and stop and congratulate themselves for doing 2 full days.  

And I don't run.  When I do treadmill, my feet fall off and my joints hurt.  Some health coach once told me I was "what we all a 'heavy runner'".  Polite way to say I'm too heavy to run without damaging myself.  

So the eliptical rocks.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest LiterateParakeet
4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

No way around it, the key is diet and exercise.

Actually some doctors and scientists are beginning to disagree with this idea.  And some people (like me) are losing weight by listening to them. :)  Here is some food for thought:

Eating More to Weigh Less (5 minute video):
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-more-to-weigh-less/

The Obesity Code
https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-Unlocking-Secrets-Weight/dp/B01MRKEO0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504720428&sr=8-1&keywords=the+obesity+code

The Calorie Myth
https://www.amazon.com/Calorie-Myth-Exercise-Weight-Better/dp/B0178HT8H8/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1504720543&sr=1-1&keywords=the+calorie+myth

Edited by LiterateParakeet