Title of Liberty Movie

On 8/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, Traveler said:

Plus I have a hard time when someone is so invested in obtaining money that they are unable to do their life passion without it

I have no problem with this idea, as I tend to fit into that mold somewhat...

That balance...those things are my ultimate "life passion". That would be the gospel and my family. Still....

On 8/12/2018 at 10:05 AM, Traveler said:

...and tie spiritual destiny to it.

With this I totally agree.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:47 PM, Fether said:

*Amulek points finger and waves with great emotion*

Amulek: o, thou child of Hell!

*Background cast gasps*

Amulek: *with softer tone* why tempt us me? Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?

*Amulek sweeps his robes as he walks toward crowd*

Amulek: Believest thou that there is no God?

*Amuleks finger extended again*

Amulek: I say unto you, Nay, thou knowest that there is a God, but thou lovest that lucre more than him.

*Amulek points to the sky*

*crowd begins murmuring*

Why is Amulek pointing so much?

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

No.

Welcome to 99% of LDS entertainment.

Even the best of the best isn't as good as the BEST of thee best out there. And I'm not talking money/budget. Special effects aren't the problem here.

People (like your son, etc) are sometimes unaware of their own biases that leads them to give a pass to things that they might not otherwise. This, in my opinion, IS the reason why all LDS entertainment kind of sucks, relatively. People are moved emotionally because of one thing (the Spirit, their love of the gospel, sentiment for the stories, something else,) and so they let go of the garbage. Hence the stuff they're creating sells okay (relative term). Hence the developers of it think they've got a "successful" formula and keep doing it.

Of course you see that in the broader entertainment world too...but it tends to balance itself out a bit more. Overall if a show isn't that good it doesn't do that well financially (relatively) and the industry changes accordingly (slowly sometimes).

I think the quality of actors contribute to this too.  I don't think Hollywood-caliber actors want an LDS movie in their resume.  But that's just me speculating.  I do know that my 2 sons have been receiving recruitment notices and requests for audition tapes.  My husband (used to be a model) created a modeling portfolio and contact sheets for my boys and sent it to some LDS film thing.  They have no acting experience of any kind, not even for a school play.  The film people toured and had firesides recently that my sons attended.  After the fireside they asked my sons to send audition tapes.  Ok, so I don't really know if these film guys are on the same level as the ones making LDS entertainment movies.  From what I understand, they're the ones making church videos.

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

On an interesting side note...I honestly don't know how to reference what I'm trying to reference any more. I went with "LDS" and I think that'll work. Still, the standard is that the Saints can be called LDS but the church should not. So if one thinks of it as the Saint's entertainment then LDS is fine. If one things of it as a reference to entertainment in the world of the church at large then it's not appropriate, but...callling it "church" entertainment would be wrong -- it's not...or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints entertainment...also wrong unless it was actually produces by the church.

You just gave me a headache. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:58 PM, Vort said:

Nibley opined that all attempts at sacred dramatization never get beyond parody. I sort of agree. Even the Church-produced and approved Sunday school and seminary videos often seem to miss the point and even obscure important points rather than illustrate them.

You were mostly talking about scriptures.  But if we expand that to religious - historical...

I'd say that the Church's production: How Rare a Possession was quite well done, well acted (for the most part) and had some nice production quality.  And it certainly isn't what I'd call parody. 

Is this "sacred"?  Maybe, considering the depth of testimony that was born.  In many ways stories of Church History and certain individuals like Vincenzo di Francesca (sp?) are what is making modern scripture.  The Bible (and much of the Book of Mormon) is a collection of spiritual experiences of individuals and the covenant people of the Lord and their conversions, testimonies, and revelations.

25 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Isn't it all our mission to stand for Christ in all things and all places?

I think this particular approach is interesting...and probably not likely to be as influential as the creator hopes...but if one makes movies and one is a Latter-day Saint, it strikes me that using said platform as one can to share the gospel and its truths is perfectly noble.

I do agree that we must stand for Christ.  I do not think you and I have much to disagree about there.  I happen to have a son that was involved in the Hollywood seen for a decade as a director (he has made a movie a documentary and a ton of commercials).  I have been on set and met some notable stars including a few actors famous to most Latter-day Saints.  Though I am not an expert in this field - I am a little like the Farmer's Insurance commercial - I know a thing or two because I have done a thing or two. 

Making a "real" movie is a lot more than taking a camera to film some friends role playing.  Besides all the skills involved in making a quality movie the primary need for a major motion picture is "money" - lots of it.  A low budget movie can be made for a few million dollars but with very rare exception in today's market place - cheap movies are exactly that - cheep piles of crap.  

I am grateful for the many good members of the Church that serve in their communities and add to our culture with their skills.  I appreciate artists like my father and a good friend - Clark Price that use their artistic skills to inspire spiritual things.  But I am not a fan of someone asking for millions of dollars (especially from members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) so that they can make their movie under the guise that they are fulfilling  a divine calling.  I am also not a fan of someone asking skilled individuals to sacrifice their time and opportunities so a movie can be made super cheep - with the excuse that it is all being done for G-d.  I do not like to see members of the church taken advantage of (scammed) so someone else can accomplish their life's supposed divine calling and mission - unless it is a divine calling and mission as per the Article of Faith.

The Traveler

35 minutes ago, Traveler said:

But I am not a fan of someone asking for millions of dollars (especially from members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) so that they can make their movie under the guise that they are fulfilling  a divine calling. 

I totally agree with this.

36 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I am also not a fan of someone asking skilled individuals to sacrifice their time and opportunities so a movie can be made super cheep - with the excuse that it is all being done for G-d. 

Also totally agree.

36 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not like to see members of the church taken advantage of (scammed) so someone else can accomplish their life's supposed divine calling and mission - unless it is a divine calling and mission as per the Article of Faith.

Well it's only a scam if the people shelling out their money don't know or understand what they're doing. If they go into it eyes wide open, more power to them.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Well it's only a scam if the people shelling out their money don't know or understand what they're doing. If they go into it eyes wide open, more power to them.

My father that was a very wealthy person - which means he was very wise in investing money - once said to me that there were two things that just about everybody in the world will look you straight in the eye and lie about.  The first thing he said was; how well they budget, invest and spend their money.  I also have a friend that works for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doing studies and gathering statistics.   He shared with me that in several studies conducted by the Church - that the single most common demonstrator for divorce among members is - financial problems - meaning separations over how money should be invested and spent.  

I would agree that if someone decided that they have some money that they would like to invest (for spiritual or financial return) in a Church based movie - so they do their research and determine the best possibility (in 10 to 20 years) - is???  Yes I would agree that their eyes were wide open and they knew what they were doing.  But if they were talked into it by someone saying they were doing something for G-d - I will default towards suspicious - until I discover (by my own efforts and not by argument with some sales person or personally involved) better.

The Traveler

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

My father that was a very wealthy person - which means he was very wise in investing money

Actually it doesn't mean that. I'm not saying he wasn't or that he wasn't. I'm just saying that the one does not mean the other. ;)

Oh...and was there a second thing?

11 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Actually it doesn't mean that. I'm not saying he wasn't or that he wasn't. I'm just saying that the one does not mean the other. ;)

Sorry a communication failure - I was taught there there was a very big difference between someone that is wealthy and someone that is rich - again from my father.  He claimed he could teach someone how to be wealthy in 5 minutes.  He also taught me that being rich is a temporary state.  According to him very few people understand the difference between wealth and riches - for example; Jesus said it is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.  But Jesus did not say the same thing about someone of wealth - that a person blessed by G-d is wealthy.

For someone that does not know the difference (because they think only in worldly terms as defined in worldly dictionaries) - they most likely will not understand that a difference is even possible possible.

Oh...and was there a second thing?

Yes but it has nothing to do with this thread.

The Traveler

Well, it is interesting timing indeed that this thread got resurrected.  It appears my family is going to see it tonight.  Another family in the ward has a copy and a huge entertainment system.  They've invited anyone from the ward to come over tonight to watch it.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Well, it is interesting timing indeed that this thread got resurrected.  It appears my family is going to see it tonight.  Another family in the ward has a copy and a huge entertainment system.  They've invited anyone from the ward to come over tonight to watch it.

I have a copy

So, I saw it.

It was not the whole movie.  I hadn't been keeping up on the news so I had no idea what stage it was.  This was a short that only lasted a few minutes.  OK.  Surprise.

I had to keep in mind that this was on a shoestring budget and it was only a concept short.  From that light, I had to compare it to the concept film for 300.  With that comparison, it was not as good as the 300 short.  But it was almost as good.

They did a pretty good job with the actually acted scene.  But the flash back to Capt Moroni was below par -- even considering the difficulties.  Part of it is the technology.  Has anyone noticed that the HD TV shows and movies actually look worse than older films and TV?  Well, that same phenomenon plagued the Capt. Moroni scene.

The most interesting part was the Behind the scenes comments where Ben Cross (Chariots of Fire, Dark Shadows, Star Trek reboot).  His "interview" (I don't know what you call those things) was almost amusing.

• 11 months later...

For those of you wishing to see the short movie Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty for free now is your chance.  For a limited time he is putting it up for people to view.  Go to this website to watch if you wish:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darinsoutham/reign-of-judges-final-stand-to-fund-our-full-feature-film?ref=project_link

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

On 11/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

For those of you wishing to see the short movie Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty for free now is your chance.  For a limited time he is putting it up for people to view.  Go to this website to watch if you wish:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darinsoutham/reign-of-judges-final-stand-to-fund-our-full-feature-film?ref=project_link

Wow, that was pretty good. Hope they get to make the entire thing.

12 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Wow, that was pretty good. Hope they get to make the entire thing.

If you really liked it buy the Reign of Judges short movie D.V.D. and Blu-Ray discs and then show them to others.  I just bought the discs for this purpose.

Edit:  It's too bad they did not get Darin Southam to direct the Book of Mormon videos the church just released recently.  They would have been far better in my opinion.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

If you really liked it buy the Reign of Judges short movie D.V.D. and Blu-Ray discs and then show them to others.  I just bought the discs for this purpose.

Edit:  It's too bad they did not get Darin Southam to direct the Book of Mormon videos the church just released recently.  They would have been far better in my opinion.

Not everyone has the disposable income to buy every DVD or Bluray that comes out. The sarcasm is not very cool.

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Not everyone has the disposable income to buy every DVD or Bluray that comes out. The sarcasm is not very cool.

What sarcasm?  He was telling you that if you really liked it, buy the DVD to share with you friends so they can see it too.  Like a salesman making a sales pitch or somebody who really liked the show and wanted everybody else to see it.

Of course that implies you buy it only if you have the money to do so.

6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

What sarcasm?  He was telling you that if you really liked it, buy the DVD to share with you friends so they can see it too.  Like a salesman making a sales pitch or somebody who really liked the show and wanted everybody else to see it.

Of course that implies you buy it only if you have the money to do so.

Sorry, it came across as snarky to me.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Sorry, it came across as snarky to me.

That was not at all what I intended.  To me this Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty movie seems like another door to share part of Christ's gospel with a lot of people in the world.  I just wanted people to share it with others and support the cause if they wanted to and had an extra $25 to do so.

Grammar error

On 11/22/2019 at 10:39 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

That was not at all what I intended.  To me this Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty movie seems like another door to share part of Christ's gospel with a lot of people in the world.  I just wanted people to share it with others and support the cause if they wanted to and had an extra $25 to do so.

My mistake then.

• 1 year later...

More news about the Reign of Judges movie.  They raised about $1,600,000 with the donations from many people for the movie.  Then someone came in with a large sum of money to donate recently.  News is they will begin filming the movie in 2021.  They changed the name of the film also to:  Reign of Judges, A New Freedom.

• 2 years later...

More good news.  The first movie about Captain Moroni in the planned series is finished.  These will all be under Reign of Judges, A New Freedom.  The first film will be called: The Oath.  It is annouced it will be released in 2023.  Watch this video here on it: