Title of Liberty Movie

• 1 month later...

"Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty" looks like it would be a great movie and a missionary tool.  If anything it is a message of liberty like "The Patriot" movie was.  I know freedom is not free.  The creators of the movie are asking for $150,000 in funding to start.  Right now they have close to $22,100.  I may donate some funds to this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darinsoutham/reign-of-judges-title-of-liberty-concept-film-shor?ref=327578&token=ca4a9ad0

On July 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Carborendum said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySMUUcRSDc

They're trying to make a Title of Liberty Film -- by the same crew as Ephraim's Rescue.

Ephriam's Rescue? I'm in!

All joking aside, this particular video I don't think will do much to help the project. It was too long, and even the guy doing all the talking sounded bored with it already. I honestly couldn't even listen to it all. I did catch that it's based on the war chapters and am curious as to how they will appropriately portray that on screen. 

The video on the Kickstarter that @Still_Small_Voice shared was better. Will check out the Facebook page tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm not in a financial position to donate, but would definitely purchase a feature film when available.

Edited by seashmore

Am I the only one who thought that Ephraim's Rescue was...sort of...amateurish? Admittedly, I'm not the target audience by any means. My 20-something son thought it was beautiful, as did my younger children. So maybe it's targeted to that demographic. But after hearing how great it was, I found the actual experience a bit of a let-down.

Of course, it's easy to be a critic, and in some circles (that I don't like) quite trendy. I don't want to be like that. But I just wasn't feeling it. Kind of like watching the Book of Mormon Movie fifteen or so years ago. I really wanted to like it, but ten minutes in, the towel wrapped around Lehi's head as he shook his hands in people's faces and screamed "REPEEEEENT!" like a crazy person with spittle drooling down his beard was just too darn much. Ephraim's Rescue was not nearly to that extent, but the overall feel was sort of the same to me.

I also thought the Book of Mormon movie was terrible.  "17 Miracles" and "Ephriam's Rescue" were good movies in my opinion especially for the amount of money they had to work with.  I could tell they were low budget but they told the story well in my opinion.  I have heard of many people who were touched by the trials they saw the old Saints had to endure. 

They are hoping to make a short movie with the $150,000 and then get a lot more money for the full movie production with: "Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty."

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Am I the only one who thought that Ephraim's Rescue was...sort of...amateurish?

No, you're not.  But there is certainly a different standard for low-budget movies than for big budget movies.  But for the budget, I think it was good.  I've seen low budget movies that were MUCH worse.  And I don't believe Ephraim's Rescue would qualify as "amateurish".  But, you're right.  It was lacking in the production quality of a big budget movie.

The story was the important thing for me.  Besides I thought it was faster paced than Once Upon A Time In The West.

Edited by Guest

On August 21, 2017 at 0:38 AM, Still_Small_Voice said:

I also thought the Book of Mormon movie was terrible.  "17 Miracles" and "Ephriam's Rescue" were good movies in my opinion especially for the amount of money they had to work with.  I could tell they were low budget but they told the story well in my opinion.  I have heard of many people who were touched by the trials they saw the old Saints had to endure. 

They are hoping to make a short movie with the $150,000 and then get a lot more money for the full movie production with: "Reign of Judges: Title of Liberty."

I'll definitely do some sharing of the gofundme page. 

17 Miracles and Ephriam's Rescue are good Sabbath day movies, but I wouldn't call them date night movies. I connect with the stories more than the presentation, if that makes any sense. When I first saw them, it was February and I was walking three miles a day (total) to and from work along the very same plains crossed by the handcart companies. Seeing the scenes with the bloody feet made my bunions hurt a little less. Cheesy as it sounds, if I found the wind a bit too nippy, I'd burrow into my wool coat and double knit scarf, and tell myself, "if the pioneers can cross Wyoming and camp in this, you can walk a mile and a half." 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, Carborendum said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySMUUcRSDc

They're trying to make a Title of Liberty Film -- by the same crew as Ephraim's Rescue.

Just a little correction.  It's only Darin Southam who played Ephraim in Ephraim's Rescue that is involved in this. He is the one that wrote it and is trying to get backing to make it into a major motion picture.  I happen to know Darin.  His mother is a friend of mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, pam said:

Just a little correction.  It's only Darin Southam who played Ephraim in Ephraim's Rescue that is involved in this. He is the one that wrote it and is trying to get backing to make it into a major motion picture.  I happen to know Darin.  His mother is a friend of mine.

Thanks for the correction.  His name is interesting.  A missionary on my mission was named Darren Southam.  In the same district, in fact.  From Vernal, even.  They've got to be related.  The one on my mission was quite a bit older, obviously.  Darin is just a young pup.

Come to think of it, I never saw his name spelled out.  It could have been "Darin."

Edited by Guest

• 8 months later...

The short film for Reign of Judges, The Title of Liberty is for sale for $8 to $10 now.  I bought it and would encourage you to do so as well to support this movie.  If you buy the short film they are hoping to raise one million dollars to begin production on the full film.  Darin Southam was offered full funding to make this movie and turned it down because he would have had to turn over creative rights for the movie to those offering him the money.  He wanted it to be as authentic to the Book of Mormon as possible. 

If you purchase the movie you will not receive the download until after August 18th 2018.  Go to this link if you are interested in supporting this worthy cause or if you just want more information:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darinsoutham/own-reign-of-judges-title-of-liberty-on-blu-ray-dv?ref=project_link

My son spent 10 years in Hollywood - he is very connected to the LDS group involved in movies.  I am not opposed to the production of any LDS based movie but it is my opinion that that Zion will continue to grow regardless of any movie made nor not made.  But I am not a big fan of individuals that believe it is their mission to inform the world of Zion without a sustained call to do so (Article of Faith #5).  It is not that I do not believe in their sincerity - I am all about people doing what they think they should and I will likely go to the movie in theater  but I do not believe such can be funded without strings somewhere.

The Traveler

On 8/8/2018 at 11:22 AM, Traveler said:

I am not a big fan of individuals that believe it is their mission to inform the world of Zion without a sustained call to do so (Article of Faith #5).  It is not that I do not believe in their sincerity - I am all about people doing what they think they should and I will likely go to the movie in theater  but I do not believe such can be funded without strings somewhere.

Nibley opined that all attempts at sacred dramatization never get beyond parody. I sort of agree. Even the Church-produced and approved Sunday school and seminary videos often seem to miss the point and even obscure important points rather than illustrate them.

So maybe any sort of Book of Mormon-based movie is bound to be a disappointment. Anyone seen the old Ten Commandments movie with Charleton Heston? Great movie for its time. Very entertaining for children or anyone who has never read Exodus. But if you've actually read the source material, you quickly see that most of the movie is Hollywood-inspired extrabiblical additions in the form of love triangles and such, interspersed with occasional portrayals of scriptural events that, more often than not, come off more eye-rolling than inspiring.

Maybe there is a deep, fundamental reason why God gave us written scriptures rather than thespian-oriented dramatizations.

Edited by Vort
I really, really, REALLY hate typing on my phone with it's auto-incorrect feature, like the previous "its" rendering as "it's".

12 hours ago, Vort said:

Nibley opined that all attempts at sacred dramatization never get beyond parody. I sort of agree. Even the Church-produced and approved Sunday school and seminary videos often seem to miss the point and even obscure important points rather than illustrate them.

So maybe any sort of Book of Mormon-based movie is bound to be a disappointment. Anyone seen the old Ten Commandments movie with Charleton Heston? Great movie for its time. Very entertaining for children or anyone who has never read Exodus. But if you've actually read the source material, you quickly see that most of the movie is Hollywood-inspired extrabiblical additions in the form of love triangles and such, interspersed with occasional portrayals of scriptural events that, more often than not, come off more eye-rolling than inspiring.

Maybe there is a deep, fundamental reason why God gave us written scriptures rather than thespian-oriented dramatizations.

I appreciate, respect and look forward to your input (as always).  There is something to the notion that with money (funding) you can do whatever you want.  Plus I have a hard time when someone is so invested in obtaining money that they are unable to do their life passion without it and tie spiritual destiny to it.  I am personally lucky - most of my life I have not even know how much or even if I was getting paid - my wife handles all such matters - though I am not as bad about this as was Nibley.  I do not think money and wealth is evil but the desire for money, funding and wealth is easily turned to evil.  I could speak more to this subject but in general - most have already made up their mind concerning money - how they will go about getting it and when what they will do with it.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

The desire for money to do good things with it is not a bad thing in my opinion as long as the money is obtained through honest work or means.

In Jacob chapter 2 verses 18 to 19 it reads:  "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.  And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted."

I think this Reign of Judges, Title of Liberty movie can be used as a tool to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Pray about it and get your own revelation on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

They released the short film for streaming on the Reign of Judges, Title of Liberty movie.  Presently they have raised close to 27.1 percent of the funding trying to reach the one million dollar goal to begin filming the full feature movie.  I watched the ten minute short film and thought it was good. 

On 8/11/2018 at 8:58 PM, Vort said:

*Amulek points finger and waves with great emotion*

Amulek: o, thou child of Hell!

*Background cast gasps*

Amulek: *with softer tone* why tempt us me? Knowest thou that the righteous yieldeth to no such temptations?

*Amulek sweeps his robes as he walks toward crowd*

Amulek: Believest thou that there is no God?

*Amuleks finger extended again*

Amulek: I say unto you, Nay, thou knowest that there is a God, but thou lovest that lucre more than him.

*Amulek points to the sky*

*crowd begins murmuring*

Edited by Fether

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 10:59 PM, Vort said:

Am I the only one who thought that Ephraim's Rescue was...sort of...amateurish?

No.

Welcome to 99% of LDS entertainment.

Even the best of the best isn't as good as the BEST of thee best out there. And I'm not talking money/budget. Special effects aren't the problem here.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:59 PM, Vort said:

My 20-something son thought it was beautiful, as did my younger children. So maybe it's targeted to that demographic. But after hearing how great it was, I found the actual experience a bit of a let-down.

Of course, it's easy to be a critic, and in some circles (that I don't like) quite trendy. I don't want to be like that. But I just wasn't feeling it.

People (like your son, etc) are sometimes unaware of their own biases that leads them to give a pass to things that they might not otherwise. This, in my opinion, IS the reason why all LDS entertainment kind of sucks, relatively. People are moved emotionally because of one thing (the Spirit, their love of the gospel, sentiment for the stories, something else,) and so they let go of the garbage. Hence the stuff they're creating sells okay (relative term). Hence the developers of it think they've got a "successful" formula and keep doing it.

Of course you see that in the broader entertainment world too...but it tends to balance itself out a bit more. Overall if a show isn't that good it doesn't do that well financially (relatively) and the industry changes accordingly (slowly sometimes).

On an interesting side note...I honestly don't know how to reference what I'm trying to reference any more. I went with "LDS" and I think that'll work. Still, the standard is that the Saints can be called LDS but the church should not. So if one thinks of it as the Saint's entertainment then LDS is fine. If one things of it as a reference to entertainment in the world of the church at large then it's not appropriate, but...callling it "church" entertainment would be wrong -- it's not...or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints entertainment...also wrong unless it was actually produces by the church.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:22 PM, Traveler said:

But I am not a big fan of individuals that believe it is their mission to inform the world of Zion without a sustained call to do so (Article of Faith #5).

Isn't it all our mission to stand for Christ in all things and all places?

I think this particular approach is interesting...and probably not likely to be as influential as the creator hopes...but if one makes movies and one is a Latter-day Saint, it strikes me that using said platform as one can to share the gospel and its truths is perfectly noble.