Is there a verse in the Word of Wisdom we all seem to ignore?

pam

50 minutes ago, Vort said:

Don't kill the little birds.

https://www.lds.org/friend/1979/08/dont-kill-the-birds?lang=eng

I actually remember the following General Conference address by President Kimball when I was 15 years old.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1978/10/fundamental-principles-to-ponder-and-live?lang=eng

I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian. I am not overly offended by calling piglets "bacon seeds", but I am bothered by a casual attitude toward killing animals, even pests. I have long held that everyone who eats meat should be required to slaughter and clean at least one animal per year, just so they are well aware that meat doesn't come from the store. I personally dislike killing animals, even rats and mice, but I'm willing to do so. (I even have sympathy for spiders, but not much for flies. And I learned to loath cockroaches when we lived in Pennsylvania. But I still don't go out of my way to kill them -- especially when I'm living in a part of the world that is blessedly free from roaches.)

This comment about pests reminded me of a Brigham Young quote that I felt applied so I looked around to see if I could find it.

God will justify the taking of animal life to sustain man’s want, but he reserves a special blessing for those who place their own nobility before their necessity.

This is strikingly illustrated in Brigham Young’s declarations regarding the meanest, most repulsive and destructive of creatures—the crickets of the plague. “Last season when the grasshoppers came on my crops, I said, ‘Nibble away, I may as well feed you as to have my neighbors do it; I have sown plenty, and you have not raised any yourselves.’ And when harvest came you would not have known that there had been a grasshopper there.” The moral of this, he says, is “Pay attention to what the Lord requires of you and let the balance go.”97 Years later it came again: “According to present appearances, next year [1868] we may expect grasshoppers to eat up nearly all our crops. But if we have provisions enough to last us another year, we can say to the grasshoppers—these creatures of God—you are welcome. I have never yet had a feeling to drive them from one plant in my garden; but I look upon them as the armies of the Lord.”98

The dialogue going along with the quotes is from this article for any one interested in reading it.

59 minutes ago, Vort said:

Don't kill the little birds.

https://www.lds.org/friend/1979/08/dont-kill-the-birds?lang=eng

I actually remember the following General Conference address by President Kimball when I was 15 years old.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1978/10/fundamental-principles-to-ponder-and-live?lang=eng

I am not a vegan nor a vegetarian. I am not overly offended by calling piglets "bacon seeds", but I am bothered by a casual attitude toward killing animals, even pests. I have long held that everyone who eats meat should be required to slaughter and clean at least one animal per year, just so they are well aware that meat doesn't come from the store. I personally dislike killing animals, even rats and mice, but I'm willing to do so. (I even have sympathy for spiders, but not much for flies. And I learned to loath cockroaches when we lived in Pennsylvania. But I still don't go out of my way to kill them -- especially when I'm living in a part of the world that is blessedly free from roaches.)

I kill roaches that I find in my house because the last thing I want is for them to reproduce.  However, there was this one time I was looking through an old box and I found a live roach inside. A vile and hideous thing, but I couldn't bring myself to kill it because it was "trapped."