Researcher: Vegetarian diets still kill animals.

Ironhold

As the researcher states, people are so quick to talk about farm animals that they forget the insects, small herbivores, and others displaced to clear farm land. 

Don't know about anyone here, but I've known a few too many vegans with raging superiority complexes. I wonder what they'll think about this.

Guest MormonGator
31 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

As the researcher states, people are so quick to talk about farm animals that they forget the insects, small herbivores, and others displaced to clear farm land. 

Don't know about anyone here, but I've known a few too many vegans with raging superiority complexes. I wonder what they'll think about this.

You've also met at least one vegetarian who is an egomaniac and has a huge superiority complex. 

I've never actually met any "self-righteous idiot vegetarian/vegan" people.  I mean, I read news stories about them, and I hear people's stories, but I've never met one in real life.  I do know maybe a dozen or more real vegans and vegetarians, and they seem nice enough.

I do know they absolutely exist in large numbers.  My wife is on several chicken/poultry message boards, and they're always showing up and acting like idiots.  

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

My wife is on several chicken/poultry message boards, and they're always showing up and acting like idiots.  

You mean they act like pineapples with their greens whacked off?

Guest MormonGator
17 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've never actually met any "self-righteous idiot vegetarian/vegan" people.  I mean, I read news stories about them, and I hear people's stories, but I've never met one in real life.  I do know maybe a dozen or more real vegans and vegetarians, and they seem nice enough.

I do know they absolutely exist in large numbers.  My wife is on several chicken/poultry message boards, and they're always showing up and acting like idiots.  

I try to be as self righteous and obnoxious as I possibly can when I hang out with you wretched meat eaters. I usually lecture you butchers about how you are ingesting the misery and sadness of the animals that died to provide you with nourishment. Than I stick my nose in the air as I enjoy my carrots and mushrooms. I've thought about dousing you all in cow blood while I wear white robes and pat myself on the back-and next time I'm at a church cook out, I think I'll do that. 

Edited by MormonGator

Heh.  Well, since I've been snarky, I should say something nice.  There is a certain stripe of animal-rights activists I can actually respect a little.  They usually operate in countries with lax laws about animal cruelty.  They'll target a chicken farm, for example.  They will show up en masse, 20 to 100 of them, and nonviolently storm the place.  Eventually the cops and media will come.  The activists will have found the inexcusable results of unethical behavior by then - in the form of sick and dying birds.  Cops that come to arrest, will be shown tumor-ridden, starving, dying birds.  Media that shows up will be shown decaying corpses of birds left to rot in cages with live birds.  Some activists will march off to prison, the rest will scatter, the goal of exposing the business reached.   Yeah, maybe they've earned a measure of respect. 

While it's true that there are probably many hoity-toity vegans etc, something has to be said for their sheer will. I for one have been trying to find a balance in my diet for years. I want to try and make as little negative impact as possible, but it really is hard. Vegans have provided evidence that meat is non-essential. I would rather animals don't die for the sake of our stomachs. Wouldn't you? 

All that being said humans are imperfect, and of course finding a way to accommodate and feed a carnivorous, omnivorous, or even a herbivorous population whilst doing little harm to our planet is tough. 

I don't mind that animals die for my stomach--even for the simple difference between liking my meal and truly enjoying it. Animals do not have souls. On the other hand, I agree that they should not suffer unnecessarily, and so can respect those that by "free range" chicken and the like.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

On the other hand, I agree that they should not suffer unnecessarily

That's a good start. Soon I'll send you a PETA card in the mail. 

(for the record, I am not a member of PETA and even I think they are insane) 

@MormonGator's disclaimer is more interesting than the joke. We could have a lot of fun psycho-analyzing it. For example, was there the thought that the joke would be taken seriously, and if so, why? Does the over-compensated "insane" descriptor indicate some actual sympathy for PETA?  . . . The possibilities are endless!  :bouncingclap:

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, prisonchaplain said:

@MormonGator's disclaimer is more interesting than the joke. We could have a lot of fun psycho-analyzing it. For example, was there the thought that the joke would be taken seriously, and if so, why? Does the over-compensated "insane" descriptor indicate some actual sympathy for PETA?  . . . The possibilities are endless!  :bouncingclap:

Well, you did ask me to send you that ACLU packet, so...

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Yeah, the disclaimer can only mean that he is in fact an active member of PETA but is trying to hide it. We know him too well, he can't keep secrets from us.

Is there something wrong with the organization People Eating Tasty Animals?  'cause they way you guys talk about it...  ;)

In seriousness, my views are based on the Scriptures, and so I have my leave to eat meat.  That said, I also agree that some of our farming practices need attention, and certain foods just aren't defensible, in my view.  (like fois gras....   yikes.) 

I know a guy who became a vegetarian after seeing how chickens were farmed during his brief stint working for Perdue.  I can understand his reasoning fully.  I think we really need to address it, not just the vegans/vegetarians but all of us.  We can have meat and humane farming conditions at the same time.  We just need the will, as a society, to make it happen.