1 Nephi, Chapter 6

serapha

1 Nephi 6:2

2 For it sufficeth me to say that we are descendants of Joseph.

Noel Reynolds comments, "Nephi's Political Testament"

"Nephi also supported his claim to authority by indirectly comparing his situation to those of Old Testament leaders. .... (see 1 Nephi 5:14, 2 Nephi 3:4).... Note that the bow was anciently a symbol connected with Joeph -- see Genesis 49:23-24."

The bow was also symbolic of the Egyptian war goddess, Neith.

3 And it mattereth not to me that I am particular to give a full account of all the things of my father, for they cannot be written upon these plates, for I desire the room that I may write of the things of God.

Terrence Szink, "Nephi and the Exodus"

"It is important to understnad that Nephi wrote this record of his family's journey at least thirty years after they had left Jerusalem (see 2 Nephi 5:28-3). In his writing, he most likely referred to what had been put down on the larger, "historical" plates or on perishable materials. He could pick and choose information from those earlier sources and shape it any way he saw fit. The result was not a day-to-day or even a year-to-year acount of what had happened. Rather, it was a record that higthlighted certian events and put special emphasis on "the things of God"

BTW, is this the shortest book in the bom?

~serapha~