17 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

When I baptized my first person, I thought I pushed her down too far in the water. When I baptized my second, I barely put her under the water! 

I absolutely made sure they were down.  This is my first baptism and confirmation for someone who was actually alive.  I was sick to my stomach all morning thinking about the blessing.

Guest MormonGator
16 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I absolutely made sure they were down.  This is my first baptism and confirmation for someone who was actually alive.  I was sick to my stomach all morning thinking about the blessing.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was my own kids. Congrats my friend. 

Edited by MormonGator

8 hours ago, Grunt said:

It was incredible.  

So happy for you and your boys. I was so appreciative of my husband whenever he performed Priesthood blessings or ordinances for our children. Your boys were blessed to be able to have you, their father, baptize them. 

Edited by classylady

After some reflection, it's incredible how strong the Spirit was during the baptism.  Sometimes His presence just settles in and fills the room.  You can almost feel the weight on your chest and every word anyone says just rings true and threatens tears.  I was surprised to learn that others felt the same.  This experience has strengthened my testimony and it's a little nerve-wracking to be entrusted with the sacred honor.   

That said, I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of antis.  People who just want to talk or post about controversy or negativity are people I just don't want around.  I feel guilty about it and I really want the best for them, but I just don't want to deal with their garbage about faith. Talk about the weather or skydiving and I'm all in.  Question the Prophet or Church and I'm out.  I'm really not sure how to cope with the conflict that I should really be trying to help them but they don't want to be helped and I don't want to listen to their crap.

13 minutes ago, Grunt said:

That said, I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of antis.  People who just want to talk or post about controversy or negativity are people I just don't want around.  I feel guilty about it and I really want the best for them, but I just don't want to deal with their garbage about faith. Talk about the weather or skydiving and I'm all in.  Question the Prophet or Church and I'm out.  I'm really not sure how to cope with the conflict that I should really be trying to help them but they don't want to be helped and I don't want to listen to their crap.

I feel the same way. I truly don't mind if someone asks me a question with a sincere desire to know the answer or understand my beliefs. But, I'm just not interested in answering questions which are aimed to trip me up or get me to "see the light." Nor am I interested in "facts" that are geared to undermine my faith.

There's a video making the rounds on Facebook about a former member and his testimony of Jesus. I had a relative who I've not talked to in years send me the video. I had another friend post it. Not gonna watch it and not gonna comment at all. I've never tried to convince them that they are wrong so why do they need to do so with me? Even if the motive is love, it's difficult for me to accept that love will motivate someone to tear others down.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

After some reflection, it's incredible how strong the Spirit was during the baptism.  Sometimes His presence just settles in and fills the room.  You can almost feel the weight on your chest and every word anyone says just rings true and threatens tears.  I was surprised to learn that others felt the same.  This experience has strengthened my testimony and it's a little nerve-wracking to be entrusted with the sacred honor.   

Grunt... Skydiving... Airborne?

3 hours ago, Grunt said:

I can't think of a reason to feel guilty about this.  I suggest you follow apostolic advice and stop it. ;)

10 hours ago, zil said:

I can't think of a reason to feel guilty about this.  I suggest you follow apostolic advice and stop it. ;)

I'm not really sure.  I think I just want to serve.  Some of you are SO tolerant of the crap that gets posted on here frequently.  I don't know how you do it.  You KNOW many of the questions and comments from trolls aren't coming from a good place yet you take the time to give thoughtful responses and rebuttals.  I want to be more like that.  It's loving, kind, and Christ-like, but the other side of me doesn't want to give apostasy and anti's a foothold.  I want to call it what it is.  I feel I NEED to call it what it is.   

I'm a little befuddled.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Grunt said:

It's loving, kind, and Christ-like, but the other side of me doesn't want to give apostasy and anti's a foothold.  

Elder Holland does a wonderful balance of being loving, kind, and Christ-like-but not letting apostasy or misbehavior slide. Maybe you could watch some of his talks from GC to learn how to do that?

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Elder Holland does a wonderful balance of being loving, kind, and Christ-like-but not letting apostasy or misbehavior slide. Maybe you could watch some of his talks from GC to learn how to do that?

We all know I love me some Elder Holland.  Every visit I've had with his son has moved my faith further down the road, too.  I'll absolutely line up some talks for my 10 hours of traveling tomorrow.  Thank you!

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

We all know I love me some Elder Holland.  Every visit I've had with his son has moved my faith further down the road, too.  I'll absolutely line up some talks for my 10 hours of traveling tomorrow.  Thank you!

Welcome. Travel safely. 

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I don't know how you do it.

Obviously, everyone will have to speak for themselves, but for my part, it's probably (1) I tend to take people at their word because I can't "read" people - so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they make it so bad I just want them gone; (2) Even if the asker isn't sincere, there might be someone out there with the same / similar question who is sincere, and it's nice if they can find an answer here; (3) If a searcher comes here and finds lots of instances of "Latter-day Saints railing at someone who, as far as the searcher can tell, is just asking a question", it has the potential of driving said searcher away - in other words, the attack may only look like an attack to members and antis; (4) how do you make a noun out of "inured"?  "inurement"? "inurefied"?  Well, anyway, many of us are inured to the impact of antis - too much exposure.

You'll note that a lot of the above is that I am very conscious of the fact that the OP isn't the only one who will be reading the response.  So even if the asker has hopped inside their own handbasket and dropped by here on their way south, perhaps my reply can help someone else.

Edited by zil

39 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Does anyone know of any forums or groups online for active Saints and doctrine only discussion?

If you can't find one, I could make one - of course, we'd be the only two people there. :mellow:  (Last time I went searching, the only ones I found included a lot of "wolves in sheep's clothing" sort of stuff - people pretending to be faithful while not supporting the Church, leaders, and/or doctrine. :(

5 minutes ago, zil said:

If you can't find one, I could make one - of course, we'd be the only two people there. :mellow:  (Last time I went searching, the only ones I found included a lot of "wolves in sheep's clothing" sort of stuff - people pretending to be faithful while not supporting the Church, leaders, and/or doctrine. :(

Yeah, that's what bothers me about some of the posters here.  It's frustrating.

5 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Yeah, that's what bothers me about some of the posters here.  It's frustrating.

The other problem is, even if I made a new forum (and I could - I have a domain right now that's just sitting around twiddling its thumbs) it would only be a matter of time before people who don't toe the line show up to mingle with those who do.  So my recommendation is:

1) Post your discussion topic and ignore posts by people who don't have helpful things to say.

2) If you can convince a limited group to chat on a private forum - so you don't have to worry about above-mentioned problem - and you want, I'll set it up for you.  It would basically have to be "by invitation".

1 minute ago, zil said:

The other problem is, even if I made a new forum (and I could - I have a domain right now that's just sitting around twiddling its thumbs) it would only be a matter of time before people who don't toe the line show up to mingle with those who do.  So my recommendation is:

1) Post your discussion topic and ignore posts by people who don't have helpful things to say.

2) If you can convince a limited group to chat on a private forum - so you don't have to worry about above-mentioned problem - and you want, I'll set it up for you.  It would basically have to be "by invitation".

I love you.

1 hour ago, zil said:

In my experience, it's not as bad here, but it's been a long time since I looked.

I tried to decide whether 👍 or 👌 better signified "same here," then decided I could best express that by actually saying it. So, same here.

Edited by SilentOne

On 11/22/2018 at 5:28 PM, Grunt said:

I have learned a lot since I started reading the forums. The anti’s are bothersome and I so appreciate those on these forums who know how to answer their garbage in a knowledgeable manner. What has helped me, is to disengage and not become emotionally charged with their claims. Sometimes this can be difficult. If there are certain posters you know who have a negative tendency, I believe there’s a way you can block them from appearing in your feed. We would hate to see you go. But, you need to do what is best for you.

What I have learned from reading some of the negativity, is that my testimony is strong and it hasn’t waivered. My testimony has been strengthened. I have a handful of family members who have gone through a crisis of faith, and I have been able to help them by many of the things I have read on these forums. If I had not waded through some of the negative posts I would not have known how to answer their questions.  For that, I’m extremely thankful.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Sorry, Grunt.  Polygamy does not allow zil to have more than one compound.

That was perfect!!!  Why didn't I think of that first? 

I'm losing my powers.  What can be done?