Missionaries

6 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Gooday @Grunt how are things going with your new online missionaries? Any word yet from the one who went home? 

I haven't spoken to the new missionaries yet.  That's OK, though.  I did hear from the missionary who went home and she is doing much better.  Happy for her.

5 hours ago, Grunt said:

Nobody told me that was allowed.

A friend made an interesting statement about what Mormons can or cannot do.  His co-worker said,"I thought Mormons can't drink coffee."  

His response,"Well, it's not like there is a Mormon Cop who's going to write me a ticket if I drink a cup of coffee.  But I just don't drink coffee because of our health code."

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

Looks like I'm going swimming next Saturday, unless I can think of a good reason not to.

WAHOOO!!!  That's awesome!!!  I wish I could be there.

Wow, congratualtions @Grunt I'm excited for you! Great decision. I can't be there but there's still time to catch a flight to Australia before Saturday. I suspect you'll have even more of an impact on your ward than what you've been having over the last several months. 

@Grunt have you read the latest posts from blossom76 entitled i actually felt the Spirit? You've replied to some of her other posts before. Given the similarities between your approach and her approach to studying about the church oerhaps you could give some thought to how you could encourage strengthen and support her? I suspect you could be of assistance to her.

Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

9 hours ago, Grunt said:

Looks like I'm going swimming next Saturday, unless I can think of a good reason not to.

I pray tht your ability to think and reason will be severely restricted until at least next Sunday.:)

I'm sure that you have already had several deeply personal, profound, precious spiritual experiences. You know that you are barely at the beginning. Be assured that so so much more awaits you and your loved ones, next Saturday, throughout your life and for the rest of eternity if you continue to hold fast and live according to that which you now know to be true. There is so much ahead of you and it is nearly all good.

15 hours ago, Grunt said:

May the good Lord bless and keep you safe until then.  Is your wife and kids going swimming with you?

The most important tip - wear white under the jumper.

Merry Christmas!

9 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Why do some people choose not to be endowed?  The only reason I've heard is "not ready to make a lifetime commitment.  Isn't baptism a lifetime commitment?  What's the difference?

Thoughts on baptism:  It's usually done in one's youth.  The covenant isn't really spoken during the ordinance, so it's easy to forget (or, if you're 8, not understand) the covenant part.  People may view this covenant as simply trying to do / be good.  Yes, it is a lifetime commitment.

Thoughts on being endowed: You don't know the details before you go1.  Lots of people fear the unknown.  Lots of people struggle to follow the path you've chosen - to ask for peace now and determine to figure it out after receiving the peace.  I do feel like the covenants are more serious, as are the promised blessings (or punishments).  I think that scares some folk - but to me, it's like saying, "I'm going to refuse to learn more so I can't be judged for failure to do more" - well, you're going to be judged for that choice and you're going to be denied the blessings that come from doing more, so it's basically self-defeating - keep it up and you'll refuse your way right out of exaltation.

1unless you've been watching unauthorized videos people took while violating the very covenants they were making - in which case, the Holy Spirit isn't teaching you about what you're seeing, and Satan is surely telling you lies about it (or about you).

Before I was endowed, I heard a lot of people describing various reactions they had to receiving their endowment.  Many of those reactions were not positive.  The individuals had to "work through it" to maintain their faith and commitment.  A friend of mine (who was inactive when she told me this, and later became Relief Society President) told me that the endowment was perfectly logical and she didn't understand why some struggled.  I knew it was true and right, even though I didn't know any details and despite what I'd heard; and received a powerful confirmation of that shortly before receiving my own endownment.  When I did go through, I found that my friend was right.  It all made perfect sense as an extension or continuation of what I had already learned.

I wonder if some people latch on to the other side - the story told by someone who was shaken by the experience - and therefore fear.  I have mixed feelings about even mentioning it, but if I don't, someone else will (maybe not on this site, but somewhere); and if I do, I can mention at the same time what my friend said, and what I experienced.  I think it's all a matter of preparation and ability to commit to God no matter what - if you can say that and mean it, then it's all good - even when things are hard, it's still all good, it'll work out.

Meanwhile, I don't suppose you'll let me send you a baptism congratulations present? ;)

45 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Why do some people choose not to be endowed?  The only reason I've heard is "not ready to make a lifetime commitment.  Isn't baptism a lifetime commitment?  What's the difference?

Yes, they both are lifetime commitments.

@zil already hit a lot of the big points.  The only thing I would add to her words is that people, it's easier to feel ready for something if there's a specific time more-or-less set apart for that.  If you grow up in the church, being 8 everyone's thinking about baptism and such, and it helps calm the nerves.  Likewise, if you're going on a mission (you need to be endowed to serve a mission), that gives you a mentally set apart time for getting endowed, and calms the nerves.  Same with getting sealed.

For me, I didn't serve a formal mission and I'm not sealed.  I got endowed simply because I felt I was ready (at age 30).  No one pushed me, no big other events going on, it was all self driving.  And... when it's just you it's very natural to get nervous.  And when it's just you, it's incredibly easy to slack off, postpone, or just think "I'll do it later".  Obviously, none of those are good things, but they are stupid easy traps to fall into.

Edited by Jane_Doe

19 minutes ago, zil said:

Thoughts on baptism:  It's usually done in one's youth.  The covenant isn't really spoken during the ordinance, so it's easy to forget (or, if you're 8, not understand) the covenant part.  People may view this covenant as simply trying to do / be good.  Yes, it is a lifetime commitment.

Thoughts on being endowed: You don't know the details before you go1.  Lots of people fear the unknown.  Lots of people struggle to follow the path you've chosen - to ask for peace now and determine to figure it out after receiving the peace.  I do feel like the covenants are more serious, as are the promised blessings (or punishments).  I think that scares some folk - but to me, it's like saying, "I'm going to refuse to learn more so I can't be judged for failure to do more" - well, you're going to be judged for that choice and you're going to be denied the blessings that come from doing more, so it's basically self-defeating - keep it up and you'll refuse your way right out of exaltation.

1unless you've been watching unauthorized videos people took while violating the very covenants they were making - in which case, the Holy Spirit isn't teaching you about what you're seeing, and Satan is surely telling you lies about it (or about you).

Before I was endowed, I heard a lot of people describing various reactions they had to receiving their endowment.  Many of those reactions were not positive.  The individuals had to "work through it" to maintain their faith and commitment.  A friend of mine (who was inactive when she told me this, and later became Relief Society President) told me that the endowment was perfectly logical and she didn't understand why some struggled.  I knew it was true and right, even though I didn't know any details and despite what I'd heard; and received a powerful confirmation of that shortly before receiving my own endownment.  When I did go through, I found that my friend was right.  It all made perfect sense as an extension or continuation of what I had already learned.

I wonder if some people latch on to the other side - the story told by someone who was shaken by the experience - and therefore fear.  I have mixed feelings about even mentioning it, but if I don't, someone else will (maybe not on this site, but somewhere); and if I do, I can mention at the same time what my friend said, and what I experienced.  I think it's all a matter of preparation and ability to commit to God no matter what - if you can say that and mean it, then it's all good - even when things are hard, it's still all good, it'll work out.

Meanwhile, I don't suppose you'll let me send you a baptism congratulations present? ;)

Thank you for that.  I really don't read much about the anti stuff.  When people leave,  or are thrown out of, ANY organization they often develop a drive to disparage that organization.  I believe they do this because it is natural for people to make failure someone else's fault.  If it becomes that organization's faults that caused them to leave, then they are absolved of blame. It's a natural reaction.  

No presents!  Thanks, though.  In fact, I'm now having "discussions (arguments?)" with the ward because they're talking about speakers, hymns, and food.  I just want to chop a hole in the ice on the pond behind my house and be done with it quickly with little fanfare.