Missionaries

Just now, Grunt said:

No presents!  Thanks, though.  In fact, I'm now having "discussions (arguments?)" with the ward because they're talking about speakers, hymns, and food.  I just want to chop a hole in the ice on the pond behind my house and be done with it quickly with little fanfare.  

Then tell them "no fanfare, no speakers, no food" and insist on it.  And keep insisting on it.  (It is the natural human inclination to want to throw celebrations when we're happy, so you're going to have to keep insisting, but you ARE the one in charge).  

2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

In fact, I'm now having "discussions (arguments?)" with the ward because they're talking about speakers, hymns, and food.  I just want to chop a hole in the ice on the pond behind my house and be done with it quickly with little fanfare.  

See!  They're already calling on you to make sacrifices for the Church. ;)

4 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Then tell them "no fanfare, no speakers, no food" and insist on it.  And keep insisting on it.  (It is the natural human inclination to want to throw celebrations when we're happy, so you're going to have to keep insisting, but you ARE the one in charge).  

Haha - or you just need to get use to the idea that there will be many willing to unintentionally offend you.  My wife often makes a big whoop de doo about everything and as a guy I just want it simple.  Oh well, some people in the church have a talent for bells and whistles - I think it's just their way of showing their excitement and love for others. 

8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

WHAT!?!?  No food???  Are you kidding!?!?  That's blasphemy.  :P

@Grunt, if you want, just have 7-layer dip and chips.  But you can't have an event like this without food.  Food is the fundamental expression of socialization.  Baptism is centrally a covenant between you and God, yes.  But it is also a public statement to the ward and those you love who want to support this event.  Ya gotta have food.

Now, let me wipe this dip off my shirt...

Just now, Carborendum said:

WHAT!?!?  No food???  Are you kidding!?!?  That's blasphemy.  :P

@Grunt, if you want, just have 7-layer dip and chips.  But you can't have an event like this without food.  Food is the fundamental expression of socialization.  Baptism is centrally a covenant between you and God, yes.  But it is also a public statement to the ward and those you love who want to support this event.  Ya gotta have food.

Now, let me wipe this dip off my shirt...

Second option I was presented with:  Private and family only.  You've nudged me into that camp.

42 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Second option I was presented with:  Private and family only.  You've nudged me into that camp.

The key to distinguishing between real Mormons and fake Mormons:

Real Mormons will insist on 7pm and food.

Fake Mormons will cave to your pressure and agree to another time and no food.

;):P  (that's a joke)

2 hours ago, zil said:

The key to distinguishing between real Mormons and fake Mormons:

Real Mormons will insist on 7pm and food.

Fake Mormons will cave to your pressure and agree to another time and no food.

;):P  (that's a joke)

I GUARANTEE half the ward say "his baptism?  He isn't baptized?"

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Zil,

When did you abandon all sense and reason and cave into @NeuroTypical's eccentricity?  MLP for zil...  A sad day indeed...

It was the only way I could get him to give one of my fountain pens a home. :embarrassed:  So now there's a pony watching over my pencil cup, and I'm listening to songs which include lyrics about going clip-a-clopping down the street... (I might deserve the enabler-of-the-year award!) :rolleyes::D

On 12/17/2017 at 5:53 PM, Grunt said:

Looks like I'm going swimming next Saturday, unless I can think of a good reason not to.

Me: Huh. Could be fun.

a couple posts later...

Me: This is a funny time of year to be holding a beach party.

just now

Me: Unless he's going to the Southern hemisphere for it.

Congrats, @Grunt .

7 hours ago, Grunt said:

I just want to chop a hole in the ice on the pond behind my house and be done with it quickly with little fanfare.  

Something like this?

Cognitive skills that evolved to promote our survival also underpin key religious beliefs

Incidently, this comes from the today's online edition of New Scientist magazine. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23631561-000-effortless-thinking-the-godshaped-hole-in-your-brain/?cmpid=ILCNSNS2017_webpush&utm_medium=ILC&utm_source=NSNS&utm_campaign=webpush-god-shaped-hole

The opening lines of there lead article are:

If God designed the human brain, he (or she) did a lousy job. Dogged by glitches and biases, requiring routine shutdown for maintenance for 8 hours a day, and highly susceptible to serious malfunction, a product recall would seem to be in order. But in one respect at least, God played a blinder: our brains are almost perfectly designed to believe in him/her.

Unfortunately, my subscription has expired and you need to pay to see the rest of the article.

I have a friend who ignored the font in our chapel and chose to get baptised in a river that still had ice in it. Apparently that river was pretty special to him and the surroundings were much nicer than white painted brick walls and tiles. 

9 hours ago, Grunt said:

Sometimes it just means "I'm scared".  Heck, I'm coming up with a million excuses to postpone next week.  

And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”
So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night.
And He led me towards the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.

On 18/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, Grunt said:

Looks like I'm going swimming next Saturday, unless I can think of a good reason not to.

Two more sleeps :)

Mark 5:36  As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe.

On 22/12/2017 at 2:06 PM, Grunt said:

Snowstorm.

Mark 4:39  And he arose, and rebuked the wind, snow and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.  And the wind snow ceased, and there was a great calm.

1 Nephi 18:21 And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm.

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

Mark 4:39  And he arose, and rebuked the wind, snow and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.  And the wind snow ceased, and there was a great calm.

1 Nephi 18:21 And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord; and after I had prayed the winds did cease, and the storm did cease, and there was a great calm.

Having driven in 10,000 snowstorms before I can safely say that prayer is important, but common sense is far more so. Common sense, snow tires, and the ability to say home until tomorrow. 

A snowstorm that turned into an ice storm.  Perfect combination.  Plow crews were out, roads were crappy, no cars were crashed.  Even got some Christmas shopping done and gave the Elders fountain pens for Christmas.

Another storm coming today, though.  Snowmobile trails are going to open!

Edited by Grunt

7 hours ago, Grunt said:

A snowstorm that turned into an ice storm.  Perfect combination.  Plow crews were out, roads were crappy, no cars were crashed.  Even got some Christmas shopping done and gave the Elders fountain pens for Christmas.

So does this mean you're officially one of us now?

PS: Good job enabling! ;)