Modest Clothing Is SO Hard to Find!!

RooTheMormon

Hey!

Just curious if anyone knows any good places to shop for modest clothing for juniors and older girls. (Preferably on the cheaper side) I am looking for shirts, shorts, skirts, and dresses (for church and for casual wear).

It is becoming harder and harder to find modest clothes, even in Utah!

Any suggestions?:help:

Edited by RooTheMormon

My best tip - If you stay within the same color family (hues, tints, tones or shades), everything will go together so you need fewer clothes but actually have more outfit options. This way, when you do find something modest, you'll actually build a wardrobe and not just fill a closet. Other than that, when you see someone wearing something doable, ask them where they got it or pay attention to how people make adjustments (adding layers, etc).

This is an online store but you can go to the 4 different tabs at the top and just look at the outfits (and they're modest). There's a variety of styles to get inspiration from but they might also have things that might interest you. https://shop.liveyourtruth.com/

Edited by my two cents

If online shopping works for you, try a flash sale site where you can browse a lot of options in one place. That's my recommendation.

Now, I hate to go on a tangent and maybe I'm just out the junior fashion world, but... is it really that hard these days to find modest clothing? What exactly are kids wearing to school and church these days? A nice t-shirt, a midi or maxi dress, Bermuda shorts, all of those are very common and modest.

2 minutes ago, Backroads said:

Now, I hate to go on a tangent and maybe I'm just out the junior fashion world, but... is it really that hard these days to find modest clothing? 

I went clothes shopping to donate to under-privileged school kids and was appalled at what was on the racks in the girls section. Left thinking that sewing might be a much needed hobby these days. :/

My wife likes "Down East" and she doesn't seem to wear immodest things. She also has these weird tops that if worn alone would be intense belly shirts, but they pretty much cover just her whole chest almost up to her neck. She wears them underneath just about everything and it is a guarantee modest outfit.

From what I've heard, it's a double edged sword in high LDS concentrated populated areas. The supply of modest clothes is the same just about everywhere (in box and outlet stores) but the demand is higher. I had a friend who waited to move back to the Midwest before shopping for mission clothes because everything in Provo had been picked through.

I haven't shopped for clothes for myself in years (literally, relying on hand me downs from my sister and friends gives me enough to keep a moderately sized wardrobe that I wear until it gets too stained, holey, or stretched out to wear) so I'm no expert on what's out there. However, I was having this exact same discussion with coworkers. It is downright disturbing to see what is out there and what people buy for their young children.

22 minutes ago, Fether said:

My wife likes "Down East" and she doesn't seem to wear immodest things. She also has these weird tops that if worn alone would be intense belly shirts, but they pretty much cover just her whole chest almost up to her neck. She wears them underneath just about everything and it is a guarantee modest outfit.

Downeast is a life saver!

Here's a link to what Fether was talking about.

https://www.downeastbasics.com/collections/layering-essentials/products/demi-tee-core-colors

Downeast also has other modest clothing.

The Cami @Sunday21 suggested is great too!

Edited by miav

Don't take this the wrong way, @RooTheMormon... but this is my observation.  When somebody can't find anything modest in the store, it's usually not because there are no modest clothes in the store.  It's usually because the person's taste in clothes are only available in the immodest style.

I give you an example - I can walk into Walmart and buy a dozen nice modest clothing right now (I actually just bought a pair of capris - they're marked as bermuda shorts but I'm short, so they're capris on me - plus a few shirts to match at Walmart a couple weeks ago).  But, my mom - who was looking for a pair of nice shorts couldn't find a single thing to buy at Walmart.  I showed her several shorts that would be great for her but she says, no, I don't like it.  But, I betcha - if I take her to Nordstrom she'll find a dozen nice shorts.  But see, that's not because Walmart doesn't sell nice shorts... it's because... tat-tada, my mom is an elitist when it comes to clothing and would only buy "brand name" stuff.  So she wasn't actually looking for "nice shorts".  She was looking for "bragging rights shorts".  There's nothing wrong with only wearing brand name clothes, of course.  But, I couldn't help my mom find outfits because I didn't understand what she's actually looking for.

So, when giving advice on clothing... I believe we need to understand what you're actually looking for.  Because... you can walk into Walmart right now and come out with a dozen modest outfits.  But, a lot of us do not know what we're actually looking for... we only know it by picking stuff out of hangers and trying them on.  This becomes frustrating after a while of putting things on and nothing looks nice or modest.  So, what I learned from my mother is to come up with a "clothing identity".  First figure out what are styles you like that makes you "you"... you can go through the closet and pick out the clothes you already have that are your favorites or you can go through pictures on the internet.  THEN you go shopping.

Edited by anatess2

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Don't take this the wrong way, @RooTheMormon... but this is my observation.  When somebody can't find anything modest in the store, it's usually not because there are no modest clothes in the store.  It's usually because the person's taste in clothes are only available in the immodest style.

I give you an example - I can walk into Walmart and buy a dozen nice modest clothing right now (I actually just bought a pair of capris - they're marked as bermuda shorts but I'm short, so they're capris on me - plus a few shirts to match at Walmart a couple weeks ago).  But, my mom - who was looking for a pair of nice shorts couldn't find a single thing to buy at Walmart.  I showed her several shorts that would be great for her but she says, no, I don't like it.  But, I betcha - if I take her to Nordstrom she'll find a dozen nice shorts.  But see, that's not because Walmart doesn't sell nice shorts... it's because... tat-tada, my mom is an elitist when it comes to clothing and would only buy "brand name" stuff.  So she wasn't actually looking for "nice shorts".  She was looking for "bragging rights shorts".  There's nothing wrong with only wearing brand name clothes, of course.  But, I couldn't help my mom find outfits because I didn't understand what she's actually looking for.

So, when giving advice on clothing... I believe we need to understand what you're actually looking for.  Because... you can walk into Walmart right now and come out with a dozen modest outfits.

Perhaps this is part of my trouble when also being flummoxed at the problem? I still feel fairly confident I could find modest junior clothing (I'm on Zulily as we speak).