LDS culture problem

Sweety D

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

A degree that is useless in the real world but can make you sound erudite. I'm sure my Daddy is happy that he spent 80,000$ in tuition for that. 

So let me see if I understand this - someone paid $80,000 so you could get a degree in English by studying the mythology of Greece? I suppose there might be some people in the world for whom that makes some kind of sense. :)

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Cassandra is a figure from Greek mythology who was gifted with prophecy. Sadly, she was cursed that no one would believe her prophecies. 

I see some similiarities with modern day prophets. Sadly, more than 99.9% of the world do not believe that they say.

13 hours ago, a mustard seed said:

I think it is an example of love to try to help others who are also struggling on the path of being perfected in Christ. 

I'm not sure why you talk about it being a struggle. Wherein lies the difficulty? :) (If you look carefully at the smiley, you'll see s/he has their tongue in their cheek) 

Edited by askandanswer

15 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Things lds people have told me are sinful,

reverting to my atheist vocab when I drop something on my foot. I am working on this!

I've always been a little envious of people who are multi lingual. So when you decide to revert to your atheist vocab, is it a well considered decision taking into account all the relevant factors, or is it more of a spur of the moment kind of thing? 

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Gave up? Surely not! Has not Meatloaf taken up residence in your soul? What about The Sweet?

Funny you should mention this, I've never thought of Meat Loaf or the Sweet as the same kind of music as AC/DC. I did, however, find Meat Loaf had an uncanny resemblance to Air Supply and Bonnie Tyler. I only recently learned the common connection behind the sounds is Jim Steinman.

On that note how many more random things could go in a music video: 

Guest MormonGator
11 hours ago, askandanswer said:

So let me see if I understand this - someone paid $80,000 so you could get a degree in English by studying the mythology of Greece? I suppose there might be some people in the world for whom that makes some kind of sense. :)

You need to know the basics of Greek mythology in order to study English literature. It's the same with the bible. If you don't know the basics of the bible, you can't fully comprehend oh, 65% of English literature. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You need to know the basics of Greek mythology in order to study English literature. It's the same with the bible. If you don't know the basics of the bible, you can't fully comprehend oh, 65% of English literature. 

And if you've never read the Bible, you simply won't understand the Book of Mormon.

10 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I've always been a little envious of people who are multi lingual. So when you decide to revert to your atheist vocab, is it a well considered decision taking into account all the relevant factors, or is it more of a spur of the moment kind of thing? 

If you want to be multi-lingual study Latin.  Yes, it can also be useful for atheist vocab.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Carborendum said:

And if you've never read the Bible, you simply won't understand the Book of Mormon.

Yup. 

Ever try to discuss "Paradise Lost' with people who have absolutely no clue about even the basic bible stories? 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yup. 

Ever try to discuss "Paradise Lost' with people who have absolutely no clue about even the basic bible stories? 

I honestly can't think of a single Shakespeare play that doesn't have some reference to Greek Mythology.

You know, if I had just gotten into this thread and only read the last few pages, I'd think that the "LDS Culture Problem" is that quite a few Mormons are stuck in the 80s and can't decide if Country music is good or bad.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Carborendum said:

I honestly can't think of a single Shakespeare play that doesn't have some reference to Greek Mythology.

I can't either. Not saying there isn't one, but off the top of my head I can't either.

It's only been the most influential book ever written. You need to understand the basics.

20 hours ago, Vort said:

I saw an Adam Sandler movie once, called Fifty First Dates. Except for the obvious problems with a world that normalizes fornication and the almost mandatory infantile sex-related jokes, it was actually not a terrible movie, almost kind of sweet. Except we're dealing with the topic of someone trying to form an ongoing intimate relationship with a severely brain-damaged person. Not exactly your typical Hollywood formulaic movie.

Never watched any other Sandler movie. They all looked pretty stupid, including the one about the golfer.

I saw a news show about the woman it was based on.  She had a boyfriend for a while.  But he eventually decided that he was not going to make it for the long haul and decided to break up -- which was pretty easy...

Edited by Guest

On 07/25/2017 at 1:41 PM, Carborendum said:

The Ten Commandments of Thug Mormon Culture

8. Thou shalt open your eyes during prayers at church because the kid in the next row is making goo-goo faces at you.

I was actually told by my bishop that prayers have nothing to do with closing your eyes. The only things we really need to do when praying is 

·Bow our heads (out of respect)

·Open with Dear Heavenly Father

·Close with In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

He told us youth that the closing your eyes is so little kids can concentrate better, and the folding of arms is so they arent fiddling during prayer.

As long as you are being disrespectful, it is totally OK not to close your eyes.

6 minutes ago, RooTheMormon said:

I was actually told by my bishop that prayers have nothing to do with closing your eyes. The only things we really need to do when praying is 

·Bow our heads (out of respect)

·Open with Dear Heavenly Father

·Close with In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

He told us youth that the closing your eyes is so little kids can concentrate better, and the folding of arms is so they arent fiddling during prayer.

As long as you are being disrespectful, it is totally OK not to close your eyes.

Prime example: if I am suddenly in a scary driving situation I pray a LOT for safety, but not going to close my eyes.

On 2017-07-28 at 11:16 AM, Carborendum said:

On 2017-07-28 at 11:17 AM, MormonGator said:

Yup. 

What is interesting to me is that Paradise Lost has lds content that nonlds Christians don't know about. How did this happen? I say this, knowing very little about either Christianity or Paradise Lost!

So in Paradise Lost, Satan rebels against God and is thrown from Heaven. My Christian friends don't believe in the pre existence so...how? Did Milton get revelation? But he is meant to be Avery nasty man? So how?

Edited by Sunday21

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam locked this topic