LDS culture problem

Sweety D

I saw an Adam Sandler movie once, called Fifty First Dates. Except for the obvious problems with a world that normalizes fornication and the almost mandatory infantile sex-related jokes, it was actually not a terrible movie, almost kind of sweet. Except we're dealing with the topic of someone trying to form an ongoing intimate relationship with a severely brain-damaged person. Not exactly your typical Hollywood formulaic movie.

Never watched any other Sandler movie. They all looked pretty stupid, including the one about the golfer.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

I saw an Adam Sandler movie once, called Fifty First Dates. Except for the obvious problems with a world that normalizes fornication and the almost mandatory infantile sex-related jokes, it was actually not a terrible movie, almost kind of sweet. Except we're dealing with the topic of someone trying to form an ongoing intimate relationship with a severely brain-damaged person. Not exactly your typical Hollywood formulaic movie.

Never watched any other Sandler movie. They all looked pretty stupid, including the one about the golfer.

Okay this is for real, legit disturbing. @estradling75 and I have agreed today. @Vort and I agree.  I'm seriously scared. 

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Knew I liked you. I can't stand him or his terrible movies. I've only seen one, thank goodness. I was in high school and my "friends" were going. I went with them hoping to laugh. I was the only one in the theatre who found it silly and infantile. And I was like 16, his prime age group. 

Growing up in NH (where he is tragically from) law 211 is that everyone must like Adam Sandler or be shot on sight. I know three people who died because they dislike him. I barely made it out of there. 

Seriously, I never got the attraction of a 40-something year old making silly voices and jokes that a fifth grade would find immature. I could go on for pages about my dislike of the guy. 

Maybe that is why I don't fit in here?

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Run to the hills everyone

You need to pick and choose your battles. If you preach all the time and never shut up, eventually you'll turn into a more pathetic, self righteous version of Cassandra. Sure, you might be right but if everyone ignores you you eventually are doing it to show how righteous you are. 

I currently have nothing to really add to the current flow of conversation except that I'm proud of @MormonGator making an Iron Maiden reference.

:coolrockon:

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

I currently have nothing to really add to the current flow of conversation except that I'm proud of @MormonGator making an Iron Maiden reference.

:coolrockon:

I love that song. 

2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

You...  Had you followed the discussion MormonGator had based on that post, you would notice that we had a very nice discussion about all the issues, and even came to a point where we agreed.

But go ahead and continue to cherry pick, you just reinforce our opinions about you.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Don't_feed_the_Troll

http://theconversation.com/dont-feed-the-trolls-really-is-good-advice-heres-the-evidence-63657

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Really good interpretation, for sure.  I see it as both a metaphor and a personal story as well. 

That's the nature of really good myths.. (The ones that are still with us) is that they can work on multiple levels

37 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Okay...umm...could you explain for bears of very little brain?

Which reminds me of the one about the 3 men at the restroom of an international airport: One was Finnish (finished), one was Russian (rushing), and one was European (peein').

16 minutes ago, zil said:

Which reminds me of the one about the 3 men at the restroom of an international airport: One was Finnish (finished), one was Russian (rushing), and one was European (peein').

I see. Why why did I ask? Zil, you clearly had a misspent youth that fertilizes your fertile imagination! 

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I see. Why why did I ask? Zil, you clearly had a misspent youth that fertilizes your fertile imagination! 

It's not like I made it up, I just repeated it - and incorrectly.  It's supposed to go:

Which reminds me of the one about the 3 men at the restroom of an international airport: the one coming out was Finnish, one going in was Russian, and the one inside was European.

3 minutes ago, zil said:

It's not like I made it up, I just repeated it - and incorrectly.  It's supposed to go:

Which reminds me of the one about the 3 men at the restroom of an international airport: the one coming out was Finnish, one going in was Russian, and the one inside was European.

My comment about your misspent youth still stands!

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

My comment about your misspent youth still stands!

I think we all know @zil was pretty reckless and wild in her youth. 

"What are you rebelling against?"-Teacher
"Whadya got?" -Miss @zil

16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I think we all know @zil was pretty reckless and wild in her youth. 

"What are you rebelling against?"-Teacher
"Whadya got?" -Miss @zil

I did get sent to stand out in the hall once - I didn't do what I was accused of.

I got sent to the principal's office once - the same teacher, he didn't understand what he was seeing - the principal seemed to know that before I was done telling him.

I declined to participate in geometry class (long story, optional class, even when my mom asked they wouldn't let me out of it, so I only took tests, but otherwise didn't participate).

I had a pair of nearly worn-out jeans with AC/DC inked in huge letters on one thigh.

We won't go into my grades (you'd all be embarrassed).

Yep, wild child.

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • pam locked this topic