Happy Pioneer Day!! (Not anymore)

RooTheMormon

23 hours ago, RooTheMormon said:

@seashmore How fun! 

I'm definitely excited! I've spent the last hour or so reading about Mormon pioneers in our area. Turns out a tiny town within our branch's boundaries was founded as a Mormon settlement under the direction of Brigham Young to assist the government with a mail delivery contract. The contract fell through, and the government shut the town down to make it part of a Pawnee Indian reservation. 

I'm going to share the story of John Rowe Moyle (the stonecutter who walked dozens of miles to help build the Salt Lake temple) and/or the story behind the statue outside the Winter Quarters temple. (And possibly a story of how modern day pioneers were able to obtain the land for the temple.)

Edited by seashmore
I'm bad with names.

We did most of the celebration on Saturday. Husband's home unincorporated community of Middle of Nowhere really gets into it with a various events such as a picnic and a rodeo and a show (and let me tell you, it's so big they have to open up the dividers to the chapel and flip the pews around to face the stage), so we go out for that.

Edited by Backroads

14 hours ago, Backroads said:

We did most of the celebration on Saturday. Husband's home unincorporated community of Middle of Nowhere really gets into it with a various events such as a picnic and a rodeo and a show (and let me tell you, it's so big they have to open up the dividers to the chapel and flip the pews around to face the stage), so we go out for that.

Unincorporated community has a chapel with dividers?:confused:

11 hours ago, Backroads said:

Because apparently them Mormons like to have the model of the chapel adjacent to the cultural hall. No matter how teeny the church. 

Honestly, I'm a little jealous. My current building has a small chapel with chairs I've never seen in any other building and a curtained blackboard behind the pulpit. My hometown ward has a multipurpose chapel with basketball lines on the carpet (no stage, but at least a raised pulpit). I am honestly disappointed that I haven't seen the kitchen/RS set up anywhere else, though. It's large enough for a small classroom table on one wall, but there are two of the concession stand roller walls. One along the counter facing the hallway, and another along the double stove facing the RS room, which is perfect for homemaking activities. Both are in communities of 20k. 

2 hours ago, Budget said:

From what I glean from talking to people all over the US, it's not really celebrated outside of Utah.

We do a few pioneer things in the stakes around Winter Quarters, but it's usually generic games and such on the last Saturday in July. More edutainment than celebration, if that makes any sense.