Mosiah Chapter 26 - July 31, 2017

pam

• 4 months later...

12 But king Mosiah said unto Alma: Behold, I judge them not; therefore I deliver them into thy hands to be judged.

I was just reading this chapter this morning. This verse is the first completely clear depiction of the separation of Church and State in the Book of Mormon (that I can think of).  Previously, I had thought that Mosiah was still the prophet (he certainly was the Prophet/King as consecrated by the hand of Benjamin).  But I theorized that he had authorized Alma to take over the spiritual duties while Mosiah took over the secular duties.  But this verse and its context to me says that this may not have been the case.  It is pretty clear Mosiah said he was not the ecclesiastical leader here.  The fact that Alma soon thereafter had his calling and election made sure, would indicate that the Lord was calling Alma to be the senior Apostle.

For any group of people for which there can be jurisdiction or communication, there is only one Prophet who actively exercises all the keys of the kingdom.  Alma had that for his small band since the Waters of Mormon.  But Mosiah had them for the entire Nephite nation.  Yet, Mosiah was the one who gave up the active use of those keys to Alma -- the smaller group's leader.

I had also previously considered the joining of these two groups to be a type and shadow of the return of the 10 tribes.  Their prophet would hand over his keys to hour prophet.  Since they are a "hidden/lost" group, I'd assume they were the smaller group.  But the handing of keys went the opposite direction.

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest