Besides praying and petitioning the Lord with hope, what are the chances that maybe the endowment will be shortened including a much shorter version of the film ? 

Ive seen a few changes to the endowment, many different films and alterations to other work in the Temple to speed up the work and bring into line with modesty and correctness etc. 

At present finding ancestors is easier than it ever has been in history and that side has speeded up magnificently , but unfortunately the 'bottleneck' at the Temples will not go away and only get bigger unless we all get our fingers out and do our missionary work , build more Temples quicker and get more people to go to the Temple, or/and the endowment and film must be chopped and shortened a lot more. All other work in the Temple is quicker 

Is the first presidency 'contactable', and do they listen to a mere mortal with his petition to the Lord. 

Edited by Guest

Just an extra note, did you know it takes 13 years before the endowment work is done for a male from first submitting the name to the Temple .

Maybe it's our job to collect the names and bank them up for the millennium, no wonder it's said that the main work done during the millennium is Temple work, it will take that long to clear up the back log. 

The youth have been doing tons of baptisms the last five ish years. One consequence of this is a backlog of waiting for other ordinances to be done. One reason for the push for them to be doing family names is because the temples are running out of temple issued names.

The missionary ages were lowered five years ago. One consequence of this is more people receiving their endowment at a younger age. One consequence of this is they have a head start on completing additional ordinances for the dead. 

I remember participating in a local leadership training one time where the discussion focused on whether the gospel and its work ought to be effective or efficient. Shortening the presentations would certainly make them more efficient, but would they retain their effectiveness?

On 7/25/2017 at 6:32 PM, Lehite said:

Besides praying and petitioning the Lord with hope, what are the chances that maybe the endowment will be shortened including a much shorter version of the film ? 

Ive seen a few changes to the endowment, many different films and alterations to other work in the Temple to speed up the work and bring into line with modesty and correctness etc. 

Actually the newest film is ~25% longer.  Same script, just more pauses so that languages which take longer to say things would have time to say it. 

Beyond that, it's up to the Lord.  But don't worry- everyone will get done in time-- after all we have the entire millennium to do things.  

9 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Actually the newest film is ~25% longer.  Same script, just more pauses so that languages which take longer to say things would have time to say it. 

Beyond that, it's up to the Lord.  But don't worry- everyone will get done in time-- after all we have the entire millennium to do things.  

I thought it was for dramatic pauses.

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Sigh. I have a mountain of names that require ordinances. What to do? I have all kinds of naughty thoughts on how to get the work done. I am always scheming. Sigh. 

Sunday, if I recall correctly, you're single and the only one in your family who is LDS? Is that correct?

27 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Sunday, if I recall correctly, you're single and the only one in your family who is LDS? Is that correct?

Yes single only lds in family....otherwise, I would be nagging my elderly relatives to go to the temple. Bother. Lots of relatives and only so much time to do their endowments! I am off to do initatories and sealings this Saturday am. It is the endowments that kill me!

18 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Yes single only lds in family....otherwise, I would be nagging my elderly relatives to go to the temple. Bother. Lots of relatives and only so much time to do their endowments! I am off to do initatories and sealings this Saturday am. It is the endowments that kill me!

Well, it is your circumstance that makes me have an idea.  I'm not sure what procedures would allow/disallow this, but you could hand your research to a family that is going to the temple a lot, but doesn't have the resources to research like you do.  It's called synergy.

My family is quite busy during the week, and more so on Sunday.  So, doing indexing is about all we can do.  But we try to go to the temple once a week.  Soon my son will be an elder and my daughter will turn 18 in a few years.  We could do multiple sessions that way.  Then sealings would be easy peazy.

@Carborendum. Good plan! You have a good temple team shaping up! Good for you to go to the temple once a week. My ward is quite small about 100-150 adults. I live in the middle of nowhere. Most don't have recommends. I suspect tithing is a problem.  Oh well! My dream is to spend a lot of time in the temple in retirement. If not the millennium will be busy with loads of people doing their work. I wish we could streamline the process. It is in God's hands. 

On July 28, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Sunday21 said:

@Carborendum. Good plan! You have a good temple team shaping up! Good for you to go to the temple once a week. My ward is quite small about 100-150 adults. I live in the middle of nowhere. Most don't have recommends. I suspect tithing is a problem.  Oh well! My dream is to spend a lot of time in the temple in retirement. If not the millennium will be busy with loads of people doing their work. I wish we could streamline the process. It is in God's hands. 

Sad to say, I haven't been to the temple since October, maybe November. (It's 90 miles away, and I've had to use a lot of weekend time to travel 600 miles to see family since then.) Anyway, my temple has (or had) a wooden file cabinet organized by stake that had family file names that were sort of fair game. Say I knew someone going to the temple, I could ask them to look under my name and do an ordinance for a family file name I had put in there. After, the temple office staff would put the card back in and I could pick it up (if the friend didn't pick it up for me). Otherwise, I think you can still check "assign to temple" on familysearch. 

@seashmore. Hi! I can certainly understand your policy of more time to living rather than dead relatives. Highly sensible! Good for you to travel and see your family.

The 'assign to temple' names are so backed up in my area that the temple is working on names from 2013.

We do have file cards in a cabinet but the problem is that no one does the work. We lack retired people with enough time to do names from outside their own family. The temple is across the usa border so many do not have passports or transportation. Crossing the us-Canada border is not very pleasant!

i shall have to do the best that I can and finish up in the millennium. I wish more people would attend the temple. Let's face it lds people are busy people!

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

@seashmore. Hi! I can certainly understand your policy of more time to living rather than dead relatives. Highly sensible! Good for you to travel and see your family.

The 'assign to temple' names are so backed up in my area that the temple is working on names from 2013.

We do have file cards in a cabinet but the problem is that no one does the work. We lack retired people with enough time to do names from outside their own family. The temple is across the usa border so many do not have passports or transportation. Crossing the us-Canada border is not very pleasant!

i shall have to do the best that I can and finish up in the millennium. I wish more people would attend the temple. Let's face it lds people are busy people!

I was under the impression you could assign it to any temple, but it's been a few years since I've done family history work, so that may have changed.

I'm sure I'll be doing more temple work in the upcoming years, since my dad is moving 90 minutes from me and about 20 from the temple. A huge part of me is hoping that the sister who is currently living with me will be ready and willing to be our grandmother's proxy in March. (She's never been past the waiting room.)

What would be good is a 'swipe card' , recommend card, that can be used to do the endowment and sealing, for proxy work. Scan the bar code, job done,  endowment done, then move on to sealing, ..swipe/ scan, job done, sealing done , ..simple. 

53 minutes ago, Lehite said:

What would be good is a 'swipe card' , recommend card, that can be used to do the endowment and sealing, for proxy work. Scan the bar code, job done,  endowment done, then move on to sealing, ..swipe/ scan, job done, sealing done , ..simple. 

The point of the endowment is NOT to check a box and just click "done" like you are suggesting here.  It is to learn and grow.   Yes, things (growth/learning) take time.  

1 hour ago, Lehite said:

This is how it was done maybe 20 years ago or so. Not sure why they got away from that system. Maybe it introduced an element of sterility to the procedure, I don't know.

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

The point of the endowment is NOT to check a box and just click "done" like you are suggesting here.  It is to learn and grow.   Yes, things (growth/learning) take time.  

But look at baptisms and confirmations. You can get like one name every 10 seconds. Initiatories and sealings are pretty quick to. They all have specific words used in the ordinance and boom! Done. It is SUPER quick. I think of the endowment and I wonder why it needs to be so long?

No one is suggesting that we make it a "let's go check the boxes off!" Sort of system, but keep in mind that all the other ordinances already have the speed to come across that way.

Theoretically, couldn't we cut out a major portion of it and focus on the words and actions applied with the actual ordinance (unless every bit of the full 2ish hours is the ordinance). We could get a tons of people through the endowment in half the time. Then we can have another room for those interested in the full thing and the spirits can go learn there while those with less time on there hands can go in and out. There may be more spirits in the full length session, Is there a maximum occupancy for spirit in an endowment session? I imagine they could stand... I don't think anyonewould notice.

Just saying... I have met multiple old people at the temple that spend all day there just to get a few names completely done. I could do that if I planned like a month in advance and cut out a lot of work and possibly school. But I could do every ordinance for a whole family every time I attend if the endowment was shorter. 

DISCLAIMER: As I write this, I see quite a few flaws and I don't know if I would vote for this kind of change if it was offered (not that we would vote).

Edited by Fether

Yeh, my last comment was a bit tonge in cheek, but I do see in the near future more changes will have to be done to speed up the endowment. Like a few of you since I did my endowment in 1980 I have seen the endowment chopped and changed drastically along with initiatory work changes several times for obvious reasons. There still are some other bits I'm waiting to see if changes will happen. 

17 hours ago, Fether said:

No one is suggesting that we make it a "let's go check the boxes off!" Sort of system, but keep in mind that all the other ordinances already have the speed to come across that way.

The idea of a "swipe card" sounded exactly like just checking off a box to me.  Maybe I misunderstood the previous post.

17 hours ago, Fether said:

Theoretically, couldn't we cut out a major portion of it and focus on the words and actions applied with the actual ordinance (unless every bit of the full 2ish hours is the ordinance). We could get a tons of people through the endowment in half the time. 

Aka skip the learning?  

Actions themselves are useless without learning.  

I don't think it needs to be shorter because I don't know what you'd cut out. It all feels necessary to me, even the movie, which I love. Honestly, there is something about the rituals and the time to ponder the things said and the film, that I find relaxing and bringing me closer to a better understanding of our being here, every time I go. I also like to think of the spirits on the other side and how they must be feeling. Have they been waiting? Have they been through before, waiting to hear their name said through the veil? Or is this their first time?

Also the length of time it takes to get to the Celestial Room, it gives me enough time and stuff to do to get into the mindset where I can feel the Spirit and go to the room for comfort or counsel. As someone who didn't understand nor appreciate the endowment session when I went through for myself, this is something I find particularly precious and necessary for me now, even though I am just going through for proxy; it gives me a chance to relive my own and learn from it again and again.

10 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@mustardseed. Have you noticed that by the time you get to the celestial room, the issues that concern you do not seem so important, in fact, you have often forgotten half of your concerns?

Occasionally. Sometimes something said or done during the endowment will prompt an answer that sets my mind at ease. Other times I've had it happen that I got so into a session that by the time I get to the end it doesn't seem to matter any more.