Typically the Bishop will be aware of some need in the ward, he'll pray/ponder about it and who would be the best to fill the need, and then ask the person.  You of course can say yes or no.  

Another common path like the Young Men's organization needs a new person to help out, so the Young Men's President will pray/ponder about it, and then run that by the Bishop for confirmation.  Assuming all is well, the Bishop then asks the person.

If you want a calling and don't have one, you're welcome to go to the Bishop and say "I don't have a calling and will love to help out!  Where needs helping?"  

Ending---

The same person isn't in the same calling forever.  Like a Bishop will serve typically ~5 years, a nursery leader <1 year, or etc.  Most of the time you are "released" from a calling when they call a new person to do it.  Obviously you can ask to be released too for whatever reason (time/family constraints, moving, etc). 

Edited by Jane_Doe

I got both my callings by volunteering. I asked the Relief Society president if I could teach. I asked the bishop if I could serve in the temple. 

If I wanted a hotly contested calling like teaching three year olds, I would ask the Sunday School president if he needs some substitute teachers. I would then ask the current teacher if I could sit in on a class just so I could see how things are done. I would then try to become indispensable and gradually offer to cover the teacher's vacations. But I am a schemer! 

40 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Typically the Bishop will be aware of some need in the ward, he'll pray/ponder about it and who would be the best to fill the need, and then ask the person.  You of course can say yes or no.  

Another common path like the Young Men's organization needs a new person to help out, so the Young Men's President will pray/ponder about it, and then run that by the Bishop for confirmation.  Assuming all is well, the Bishop then asks the person.

From what I've seen, the bishop asks about presidents of organizations, the counselors take care of just about everything else (whichever counselor is over it). The bishops are busy with other things.

Edited by my two cents

On 7/27/2017 at 3:36 PM, Jane_Doe said:

Ending---

The same person isn't in the same calling forever.  Like a Bishop will serve typically ~5 years, a nursery leader <1 year, or etc.  Most of the time you are "released" from a calling when they call a new person to do it.  Obviously you can ask to be released too for whatever reason (time/family constraints, moving, etc). 

Nursery leader, before and after.

methface.jpg