Country Music - bother!

Sunday21

A lady that I visit teach has decided to teach me to appreciate country music. Must learn this! 

She played me a selection and they all sound exactly the same to me. Not even interesting. To someone raised on AC/DC, this is clearly a test of my fortitude. Does anyone know any faith appropriate recent country music that is not complete drivel? Something with a tune would be helpful. And recent - Patsy Kline is not going to do it!

Thank you!

Edited by Sunday21

IMO, good country music is harder to find than good music in other genres (because there's so much junk in that genre).  I listen to a wide variety of genres, and am listening to country music right now.  I only like fast and fun(ny) country music (with rare exception) - which means you have to listen to / understand the lyrics for the best experience.  But you're not gonna find anything that sounds like AC/DC.  Do you prefer male singers (can't help you there) or female singers?

Maybe try thisOr thisMaybe this.

Depending on your reaction, we might could tweak.

NOTE: Your brain builds neural pathways for music.  Music that is sufficiently different from what you're used to sounds unpleasant - until you listen to enough of it that your brain "figures it out" and builds neural pathways to process it.  After the pathways are built, your brain perceives that as "like".  (Though there will still be things within a given genre that you do / don't like.)  I listen to pop, rock, classic rock, country (some), jazz (generally smooth and urban groove style), big band (love it madly), classical (fast with lots of percussion and brass), new agey stuff (Enya, David Lanz, Ronan Hardiman type stuff), oldies (50s/60s), some bluegrass, MoTab.  That's enough variety that most music doesn't sound too grating, but I refuse to listen to things I don't like - can't remember the last time the radio was on - too much I don't like.

Edited by zil

@zil. Love the car left him reference! So good!

Neural pathways, so cool! This explains my experience with the MoTab. When I rejoined the church, I knew that I needed something to keep me linked in Monday to Saturday, so I got some MoTab! Oh my! It was like poring acid on my skin but I persisted!  Now I quite like it.

Listening to hymns has done a lot for my driving. My driving deteriated a lot in my inactivity to the point that I really was driving  at about 90 on a road where the speed limit was 60 while eating and drinking. I have recently been reminding myself, that the lds are law abiding and the speed limit is the law!

Thanks so much for the music postings. It is very late for me here! I will ponder! I confess my last country music favorite song was 'Did I shave my legs for this?' And something about checking romantic prospects for ticks. Neither suitable!

5 minutes ago, zil said:

Hmm.  What does "faith appropriate" mean?  Is that simply that the lyrics aren't offensive?  Or is that lyrics that relate to faith?  I only have one of the latter (and none of the three I linked is that one).

Well as a visiting teacher, it would be nice to get religion into the discussion! But obviously, suggestive lyrics are out! I am meant to be church lady here!

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Well as a visiting teacher, it would be nice to get religion into the discussion! But obviously, suggestive lyrics are out! I am meant to be church lady here!

Then I have all of one song for you.

ETA: I don't think the other three are inappropriate, but they're not likely to spark a religious discussion.

Edited by zil

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Love it! In the big C, the video doesnt work but I looked up the song and the artist and the version that I have is rocking! Great work! I can sure listen to that. You are the greatest!

If you like that, I can give you a whole list of similar songs, but none are religious - they're mostly love songs or love songs with a humorous twist.  The first link I posted could be "how to teach young women to avoid pool halls", the second and third could be "how to have a happy marriage" - if you thought about them that way.

21 minutes ago, zil said:

If you like that, I can give you a whole list of similar songs, but none are religious - they're mostly love songs or love songs with a humorous twist.  The first link I posted could be "how to teach young women to avoid pool halls", the second and third could be "how to have a happy marriage" - if you thought about them that way.

Dear @zil. These sound great! Thanks so much. I can look them up using their names. 

I love real country music. Not the country pop of today. My husband calls it crop, but I think he has the wrong vowel in there.

Here are some great songs with a religious theme (these are older songs): 

Go Rest High on That Mountain - Vince Gil

Thanks Again - Ricky Skaggs

Daddy's Hands - Holly Dunn

God Bless The USA - Lee Greenwood

Bless The Broken Road - Rascal Flatts

Old and New Testament Songs (in particular, Noah Found Grace in the Eyes of the Lord, The King is Coming, Lord Is It I) - Statler Brothers

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@zil. Love the car left him reference! So good!

Neural pathways, so cool! This explains my experience with the MoTab. When I rejoined the church, I knew that I needed something to keep me linked in Monday to Saturday, so I got some MoTab! Oh my! It was like poring acid on my skin but I persisted!  Now I quite like it.

Listening to hymns has done a lot for my driving. My driving deteriated a lot in my inactivity to the point that I really was driving  at about 90 on a road where the speed limit was 60 while eating and drinking. I have recently been reminding myself, that the lds are law abiding and the speed limit is the law!

Thanks so much for the music postings. It is very late for me here! I will ponder! I confess my last country music favorite song was 'Did I shave my legs for this?' And something about checking romantic prospects for ticks. Neither suitable!

I completely relate to the pouring acid feeling. I've never been able to take MoTab or country music in large doses. I was forced to listen to country music at work day after day for several months (13 to be precise) and it felt so good when I left that job and was freed from this form of inhumane torture that strangely isn't a human rights violation. 

The 90's are probably too old for your purposes, but I didn't mind country music of that era so much... in fact I liked some of it.

I can say that I like Garth Brooks' songs such as The Thunder Rolls, and The Red Strokes

I can enjoy Reba's Fancy and The Night the lights went out in Georgia... oh and I liked And Still

One of my favourites is

but yeah, probably ancient history... does it make me old if it doesn't seem that long ago...?

6 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

A lady that I visit teach has decided to teach me to appreciate country music. Must learn this! 

She played me a selection and they all sound exactly the same to me. Not even interesting. To someone raised on AC/DC, this is clearly a test of my fortitude. Does anyone know any faith appropriate recent country music that is not complete drivel? Something with a tune would be helpful. And recent - Patsy Kline is not going to do it!

Thank you!

I used to think I hated country music.  Truth was, I hate country pop, in the same way I hate rock-pop music or especially pop punk (which is pretty much ALL punk rock these days) or just pop music in general.  So, for me, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, Florida Georgia Line, Rascal Flatts, and any country music that uses drum machines is drivel.  Pretty much all country music that comes on mainstream radio these days is also drivel.  If you want to experience real country music, country music with any quality whatsoever, you have to avoid the mainstream stuff and look underground.

Pure country music these days is called "alternative country" or "Americana".  I believe alternative country may be my favorite genre of music, and one of the most consistently amazing genres.  

Who are "alternative country" artists?  Most pre-"countrypolitan" country music would qualify (Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb).  Around 1965 or 1970, there was a split, with the interesting pure country music forming outlaw country (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Charlie Daniels, some Doug Sahm, Kris Kristofferson, etc.) and the rest of country music being diluted by pop influence and forming the garbage that became country pop (Glen Campbell).  This went on in the 1980s, with outlaw country morphing into alternative country (Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Uncle Tupelo) and country pop getting even more diluted and even further away from its roots (e.g., Garth Brooks).  

Today, pure country is alive and well and is called "alternative country", with the Drive By Truckers, the Old 97s, Reckless Kelly, The Jayhawks, Gillian Welch, The Deadstring Brothers, Robert Earl Keen, and Son Volt being some key artists.  

As for country pop, well... it is barely recognizable as country music (or music for that matter) these days, with pop garbage like Taylor Swift and Florida Georgia Line dominating.

Country music can be as good as, or even better than, rock music.  The key is to get away from what is on modern country radio, because most of that stuff is drivel.  There is plenty of extremely high quality country music - it just happens to be underground and not well known (which is the case with most other music genres I like).  

Edited by DoctorLemon