Country Music - bother!

Sunday21

13 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Does anyone know any faith appropriate recent country music that is not complete drivel? Something with a tune would be helpful. And recent - Patsy Kline is not going to do it!

Well, not knowing precisely what you mean by "faith appropriate" I'd say quite a bit is "approved (by Carb) for Mormons to listen to".  But if you're talking about possibly faith promoting, I like George Strait.

EDIT: I guess Ironhold beat me to it.

Edited by Guest

@Sunday21,

How about:

Garth Brooks: Unanswered Prayers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuA5PZx3K4

Brad Paisley: Little Moments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBErCVNP6rM

Waitin' on a Woman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C-IbkuNWs

Doggonit!  I really like Brad Paisley.  I was going to link to some more of his.  There are too many.  I'd say "Waitin' on a Woman" is my favorite... today.

Try "Letter to Me" as well.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

@Sunday21,

How about:

Garth Brooks: Unanswered Prayers  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuA5PZx3K4

Brad Paisley: Little Moments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBErCVNP6rM

Waitin' on a Woman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-C-IbkuNWs

Doggonit!  I really like Brad Paisley.  I was going to link to some more of his.  There are too many.  I'd say "Waitin' on a Woman" is my favorite... today.

Try "Letter to Me" as well.

Brad Paisley?  (condescending smirk)

2 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

Brad Paisley?  (condescending smirk)

Just listen to "Watin' on a Woman" (link provided above) and tell me that you don't laugh and then cry at the end.

And I don't know of anyone who doesn't laugh at "Little Moments".  (link also provided).

Also "Celebrity" is hilarious.

Edited by Guest

Well... it's not faith promoting by a thousand miles but yeah, the one that always gets picked for karaoke in my house is... GOODBYE, EARL!  Oh my goodness gracious batman, we just love this song for the laugh out loud effect it has on us.  But yeah, we all agree, we don't like Dixie Chicks.  :)

Edited by anatess2

12 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Well... it's not faith promoting by a thousand miles but yeah, the one that always gets picked for karaoke in my house is... GOODBYE, EARL!  Oh my goodness gracious batman, we just love this song for the laugh out loud effect it has on us.  But yeah, we all agree, we don't like Dixie Chicks.  :)

I went to the same high school as Natalie Maines!  (about six years after she graduated).  AND the same high school as Buddy Holly!  AND the same high school as Amanda Shires!  AND the same high school as Mac Davis!

That said, Terry Allen went to a lesser high school across my town.

I am not making this up!

(I have to stake my claim to fame somehow)

Edited by DoctorLemon

9 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I used to think I hated country music.  Truth was, I hate country pop, in the same way I hate rock-pop music or especially pop punk (which is pretty much ALL punk rock these days) or just pop music in general.  So, for me, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, Florida Georgia Line, Rascal Flatts, and any country music that uses drum machines is drivel.  Pretty much all country music that comes on mainstream radio these days is also drivel.  If you want to experience real country music, country music with any quality whatsoever, you have to avoid the mainstream stuff and look underground.

Pure country music these days is called "alternative country" or "Americana".  I believe alternative country may be my favorite genre of music, and one of the most consistently amazing genres.  

Who are "alternative country" artists?  Most pre-"countrypolitan" country music would qualify (Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb).  Around 1965 or 1970, there was a split, with the interesting pure country music forming outlaw country (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Charlie Daniels, some Doug Sahm, Kris Kristofferson, etc.) and the rest of country music being diluted by pop influence and forming the garbage that became country pop (Glen Campbell).  This went on in the 1980s, with outlaw country morphing into alternative country (Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Uncle Tupelo) and country pop getting even more diluted and even further away from its roots (e.g., Garth Brooks).  

Today, pure country is alive and well and is called "alternative country", with the Drive By Truckers, the Old 97s, Reckless Kelly, The Jayhawks, Gillian Welch, The Deadstring Brothers, Robert Earl Keen, and Son Volt being some key artists.  

As for country pop, well... it is barely recognizable as country music (or music for that matter) these days, with pop garbage like Taylor Swift and Florida Georgia Line dominating.

Country music can be as good as, or even better than, rock music.  The key is to get away from what is on modern country radio, because most of that stuff is drivel.  There is plenty of extremely high quality country music - it just happens to be underground and not well known (which is the case with most other music genres I like).  

Yeah, this post. I used to love country, and despite some loyalty to a few select artists, I've stopped listening.

Americana is the term to search for.

10 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I used to think I hated country music.  Truth was, I hate country pop, in the same way I hate rock-pop music or especially pop punk (which is pretty much ALL punk rock these days) or just pop music in general.  So, for me, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, Florida Georgia Line, Rascal Flatts, and any country music that uses drum machines is drivel.  Pretty much all country music that comes on mainstream radio these days is also drivel.  If you want to experience real country music, country music with any quality whatsoever, you have to avoid the mainstream stuff and look underground.

Pure country music these days is called "alternative country" or "Americana".  I believe alternative country may be my favorite genre of music, and one of the most consistently amazing genres.  

Who are "alternative country" artists?  Most pre-"countrypolitan" country music would qualify (Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb).  Around 1965 or 1970, there was a split, with the interesting pure country music forming outlaw country (Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Townes Van Zandt, Charlie Daniels, some Doug Sahm, Kris Kristofferson, etc.) and the rest of country music being diluted by pop influence and forming the garbage that became country pop (Glen Campbell).  This went on in the 1980s, with outlaw country morphing into alternative country (Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Uncle Tupelo) and country pop getting even more diluted and even further away from its roots (e.g., Garth Brooks).  

Today, pure country is alive and well and is called "alternative country", with the Drive By Truckers, the Old 97s, Reckless Kelly, The Jayhawks, Gillian Welch, The Deadstring Brothers, Robert Earl Keen, and Son Volt being some key artists.  

As for country pop, well... it is barely recognizable as country music (or music for that matter) these days, with pop garbage like Taylor Swift and Florida Georgia Line dominating.

Country music can be as good as, or even better than, rock music.  The key is to get away from what is on modern country radio, because most of that stuff is drivel.  There is plenty of extremely high quality country music - it just happens to be underground and not well known (which is the case with most other music genres I like).  

"Alternative country" is sometimes also called "Red Dirt," as it comes out of parts of the US with large amounts of red dirt. Reckless Kelly and Robert Earl Keen being names I recognize (and love) under that umbrella.

Haven't yet read through any other responses @Sunday21 (and my lunch is almost over) but if you know what country music she prefers we may be able to find some common ground.

That being said "Wicked Twisted Road" by Reckless Kelly might be a good bridge if she's into ballads. 

I personally despise easy listening country, like Lonestar or Rascal Flatts.

I can't believe I didn't think of this one immediately! My cousin just married the son of one of the coauthors of this song. (One of my lame to fames, as he also coauthored Watermelon Crawl and has partnered with Kenny Chesney.) I'd recommend the lyrics, but the music is probably not to your taste, neural pathway speaking.

You've Got to Stand for Something preformed by Aaron Tippin

Brad Paisley's song about being the Dad he didn't have to be gets me pretty often.

There's an underground LDS country singer/songwriter named Michael Hinckley. His song "Hang a Black Cloth" is probably my favorite. 

Edited by seashmore

11 hours ago, pam said:

Home Free.  One of my favorite groups.  Of course I'm totally in love with Tim Foust in this group.  I can listen to him sing all day.

Pam! This song is shocking! I think I may have to pay you a visit and bring the bishop! Did you go to YWs camp this summer?

Edited by Sunday21

25 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Pam! This song is shocking! I think I may have to pay you a visit and bring the bishop! Did you go to YWs camp this summer?

Nope.  No YW's camp.

Tim McGraw - Humble and Kind  (Apparently I don't know how to get the video to post here - I tried to embed it and that didn't work.  I tried to put the URL but the editor turned it 'red' and apparently I wasn't allowed to post that either.  LOL.  So you'll have to look it up.)

"Humble And Kind"

You know there's a light that glows by the front door

Don't forget the key's under the mat

When childhood stars shine,
Always stay humble and kind

Go to church 'cause your mamma says to
Visit grandpa every chance that you can
It won't be wasted time

Hold the door, say "please", say "thank you"
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got mountains to climb
But always stay humble and kind
When the dreams you're dreamin' come to you
When the work you put in is realized
Let yourself feel the pride

Don't expect a free ride from no one
Don't hold a grudge or a chip and here's why:
Bitterness keeps you from flyin'

Know the difference between sleeping with someone
And sleeping with someone you love
"I love you" ain't no pick-up line
So always stay humble and kind

Hold the door, say "please", say "thank you"
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got mountains to climb
When those dreams you're dreamin' come to you
When the work you put in is realized
Let yourself feel the pride

When it's hot, eat a root beer popsicle
Shut off the AC and roll the windows down
Let that summer sun shine

Don't take for granted the love this life gives you
When you get where you're going don't forget turn back around
And help the next one in line

Edited by Budget

On 7/28/2017 at 0:39 PM, seashmore said:

"Alternative country" is sometimes also called "Red Dirt," as it comes out of parts of the US with large amounts of red dirt. Reckless Kelly and Robert Earl Keen being names I recognize (and love) under that umbrella.

Haven't yet read through any other responses @Sunday21 (and my lunch is almost over) but if you know what country music she prefers we may be able to find some common ground.

That being said "Wicked Twisted Road" by Reckless Kelly might be a good bridge if she's into ballads. 

I personally despise easy listening country, like Lonestar or Rascal Flatts.

The best Reckless Kelly album is "Reckless Kelly Was Here".  It is the type of album you would only find in independent record stores in Texas (at least, that is where I had to go to find my copy - apparently it is not available online).  I like how they sound like one of those small-town Texas rock bands that is a little more country than they care to admit.  Reminds me of my childhood!