Trump, Psychology and 'The Goldwater Rule'

prisonchaplain

I posted this on LinkedIn, and thought I would share it here, to see what folk think.

It is so dangerous to use one's expert credentials to render opinions about politics. I'm most jealous to safeguard the role of clergy. However, I was disappointed to hear the rumor that psychologists were officially free to comment on the President's mental state, in violation of the Goldwater Rule (opposing armchair diagnosis of public figures). I'm greatly relieved that it was the very small APsaA group that spearheaded this, and that the much bigger and more recognized American Psychiatric Association (APA) remains firmly committed to in-person diagnoses.

We Christian ministers do well to pray for our leaders, and to offer spiritual care and service where it is welcomed. Similarly, does it not demean colleagues and our helping professions when public opposition/support to politicians is given in the name of our education and training?

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6297210401558011904

Edited by prisonchaplain

As an update, I posted this on LinkedIn and had my greatest traffic count ever. That's cool, but way too many assumed I was insisting that Christians not question POTUS's spirituality, and that I only mentioned this in relation to Trump, but did not complain when people publicly questioned HRC's mental health. My response? The post had nothing directly to do with Trump, and psychologists/psychiatrists were not the ones questioning HRC's mental health--at least not to my knowledge. Further, we may all weigh within our hearts the sincerity of our politicians, but for clergy (including LDS bishops) to do so publicly, invoking the titles to add gravitas to personal opinions demeans us all. 

BTW, I added "Trump" to the title and keyword list as a cheap attempt to generate traffic. :cool:

Edited by prisonchaplain