Feelings on Video Games

artista

4 minutes ago, Fether said:

STAAHP

<voice style="overly polite, robotic, pre-recorded female">Googling, please hold</voice>

...pause...

<voice style="overly polite, robotic, pre-recorded female">Reference found.  I'm sorry, snarky, literalist tendencies are inherent in this entity and cannot be disabled.  Have a nice day.</voice>

Edited by zil

9 minutes ago, zil said:

<voice style="overly polite, robotic, pre-recorded female">Googling, please hold</voice>

...pause...

<voice style="overly polite, robotic, pre-recorded female">Reference found.  I'm sorry, snarky, literalist tendencies are inherent in this entity and cannot be disabled.  Have a nice day.</voice>

What did you call me!?

20 minutes ago, zil said:

...pause...

Wait, what phone number did you use to get ahold of Google?!

16 minutes ago, eddified said:

Wait, what phone number did you use to get ahold of Google?!

It didn't seem that complex.  The voice is the entity typing the post (me).  The text is what that entity is doing (searching google to figure out what STAAHP means, then responding to the request to "STAAHP").

1 hour ago, Jane_Doe said:
1 hour ago, paracaidista508 said:

I'm curious if any dedicated gamers here could tally their play time for a month and compare that with the time spent working on their unachieved goals??? I really am curious how much time one spends doing one vs the other. It may say a lot about how much they value achieving the goal. 

Sure it is unscientific, but would be interesting.

Let's make another list for tv, social media, and other pursuits.  You go first.

I think these are both great ideas. Not sure why one person should "go first".

Guest MormonGator
48 minutes ago, Vort said:

I think these are both great ideas. Not sure why one person should "go first".

Because it's very easy to tell others what to give up and how they can improve while very, very few of us look inward and ask ourselves how we can improve. That's why we should "go first." 

That said, I don't think any of us need improvement in what our hobbies are. Unless one of us likes robbing the local 7-11 ( @mirkwood, keep an eye on out @zil) we should keep calm and carry on. 

Edited by MormonGator

33 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Because it's very easy to tell others what to give up and how they can improve while very, very few of us look inward and ask ourselves how we can improve. That's why we should "go first." 

That said, I don't think any of us need improvement in what our hobbies are. Unless one of us likes robbing the local 7-11 ( @mirkwood, keep an eye on out @zil) we should keep calm and carry on. 

I'll give up.video games, scriptures and tv

Edited by paracaidista508

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

In my experience, that is not at all the case. Most people who participate on this site seem more than willing to look inward. Making the observation that video gaming is very often a waste of time hardly seems a cause to decry intolerance. It's more like an obvious fact.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

That said, I don't think any of us need improvement in what our hobbies are.

I suspect rather the opposite. I bet that all of us could and should improve how we spend our hobby time.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

I bet that all of us could and should improve how we spend our hobby time.

I wish you the best of luck in convincing others to give up gaming as a hobby. 

If I could just get rid of the weakness of the flesh, then I could really get stuff done.  Imagine not having to sleep. Imagine not worrying about mosquitoes eating you alive for being out at dusk. Imagine not worrying about ants or spiders, or...

Imagine avoiding a virtual stroke every time you go out into the heat.

Yup. If only we weren't mortal, we could get much more done.

6 hours ago, paracaidista508 said:

Ill remain classless then

Oh come on. You're supposed to say, so I'm in a class all my own.  It's the obvious come back. Where did you take bantering classes anyway?

Then @MormonGator can say, that's because no one would want to be in a class with you.

Then you could say, just because they can't satisfy the"awesomeness" requirement...

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Oh come on. You're supposed to say, so I'm in a class all my own.  It's the obvious come back. Where did you take bantering classes anyway?

Then Gator can say, that's because would want to be in a class with you.

Then you could say, just because they can't satisfy the"awesomeness" requirement...

@Carborendum. Are you writing your own thread? 

8 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@Carborendum. Ummm. Have you not proved to the satisfaction of the global community that thread jacking is a sport at which you excel? Do you really need more practice?

@zil  is already attempting to dethrone me from Captain Literal.  I need a fall back plan.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I wish you the best of luck in convincing others to give up gaming as a hobby. 

I don't think @Vort is attempting to convince anyone of anything.  He is merely pointing out that we all have diverse hobbies, many of which could be considered frivolous wastes of time.  Video games, television, board and card games, sports, working out, building model cars etc, etc, etc.  There are so many ways we can spend our time and as a result so many ways we can waste our time.  I think Vort is merely encouraging the idea of introspective analysis of how we spend our free time.  There is always an opportunity cost to every decision we make.  If I spend an hour playing video games, I did not spend that hour playing tug-o-war with my children, or learning how to tie knots, or reading the scriptures.  I could be wrong, but I would say we could all find areas of frivolity to reduce.  The real issue is how many of us are willing to take that introspective look far enough to actually make changes?

In this thread I have advocated in support of playing video games, and that it is not inherently wrong.  That doesn't mean it is not a waste of time.  There are situations in which nearly anything could be a waste of time, and others where many things might not be.  A family game is an effective and valuable bonding experience.  Relaxing and watching wholesome television entertainment can provide rest and enjoyment that is beneficial.  Spending ten hours each day studying scriptures or doing family history work can be harmful.  Our responsibility is to find the appropriate balance to the various aspects of our lives: work, fun, family, church, etc.  I would say it is very unlikely that most of us don't have at least one or two areas where we could adjust our devoted quantity of time to a better cause.  Regardless, while it may not have any impact on our salvation, it does have an impact on us, because, "whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection."

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, person0 said:

I don't think @Vort is attempting to convince anyone of anything.  

That's good, because 1) he'd fail and 2) I was saying it tongue in cheek. 

43 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@zil is becoming very warlike! Her amazon tendencies are leaking out. Do you think she is binge watching Wonder Woman?

Xena was a warrior princess. Gabrielle was the scribe. So @zil is an amalgam.  And a cyborg to boot.  Hmm. Not someone to mess with.

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@zil is becoming very warlike! Her amazon tendencies are leaking out. Do you think she is binge watching Wonder Woman?

Not.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Xena was a warrior princess. Gabrielle was the scribe. So @zil is an amalgam.  Hmm. Not someone to mess with.

Never watched that show, but I'm going to take "amalgam" and "Not someone to mess with." as compliments. :D