There's a discrepancy between the GL app and the Scriptures and I need an answer

Snigmorder

The Joseph Smith translation appendix on LDS.org and in the gospel library app is longer than the JST appendix in the Bible which I bought from the distribution center a couple months ago.

For example, the Bible contains no changes to Deuteronomy, while the GL app and LDS.org do.

Also, for some reason, the gospel library app on my Windows tablet has the same janky incomplete JST appendix.

Why is this modern LDS Bible incomplete? Why doesn't it have the larger Joseph Smith translation appendix contained in the gospel library app and the LDS.org? 

4 minutes ago, seashmore said:

It seems to me a location issue. The Deuteronomy translation you mentioned is in the JST "book" heading on my Gospel Library App, while it remains as a footnote on page 270 of the OT in the quad I bought around 2012, just before they released the new arrangement. 

I went to page 270 and it contains the translation in the footnotes. I guess to save space?

But I want all of JST in appendix

IMG_2445.JPG.f4db52cdc67a8c4ad17e9ade46f34576.JPG

When the Church made its own KJV editon in 1979, they secured permission from the RLDS Church (now the Community of Christ) to use excerpts of the "Inspired Version" as footnotes, under the title of "Joseph Smith Translation", or JST. This "Inspired Version", owned by the Community of Christ, is just a version of the KJV Bible that includes the additions and emendations made by the Prophet Joseph Smith using his copy of the Bible. The JST snippets included in the printed LDS edition of the KJV Bible were never claimed as complete, but are excerpts from the "Inspired Version". I think that Joseph Smith's "translation" effort was never completed, though it has been assumed that the bulk of it was done. So the LDS KJV edition contains many, but not all, of Joseph Smith's emendations.

Edited by Vort

1 hour ago, Vort said:

When the Church made its own KJV editon in 1979, they secured permission from the RLDS Church (now the Community of Christ) to use excerpts of the "Inspired Version" as footnotes, under the title of "Joseph Smith Translation", or JST. This "Inspired Version", owned by the Community of Christ, is just a version of the KJV Bible that includes the additions and emendations made by the Prophet Joseph Smith using his copy of the Bible. The JST snippets included in the printed LDS edition of the KJV Bible were never claimed as complete, but are excerpts from the "Inspired Version". I think that Joseph Smith's "translation" effort was never completed, though it has been assumed that the bulk of it was done. So the LDS KJV edition contains many, but not all, of Joseph Smith's emendations.

It turns out the appendix on the GL app and LDS.org contain the  minor alterations within the appendix. Whereas in the physical Bible, those minor alterations are contained in the footnotes only and the longer passages in the appendix. (Obvious to everyone but Snigmorder.)

Also, this helps with those minor alterations in the footnotes (in case there's any confusion as to how they fit in.)

IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.968bbaefa9d804b69792493f85d93274.JPG

There's something interesting which I noticed in Deuteronomy 2:30. It reads "... for the Lord thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate ..." 

The footnote points to Romans 9:18, Which reads "therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth." 

I don't know who wrote this footnote but it gives the impression that in this instance, God did indeed harden the heart of Sihon.

However, In the RLDS "New translation" Deuteronomy 2:30 reads "... for he hardened his heart, and made his heart obstinate ..." from this we clearly see that Sihon hardened his own heart.

As far as I know Bruce McConkie was the big advocate for the JST in the Scriptures project and I assume he read the entire thing. Either he thought this particular verse in Deuteronomy was an RLDS interlopation and ignored the change, or someone made a mistake.

1 hour ago, Snigmorder said:

It turns out the appendix on the GL app and LDS.org contain the  minor alterations within the appendix. Whereas in the physical Bible, those minor alterations are contained in the footnotes only and the longer passages in the appendix. (Obvious to everyone but Snigmorder.)

Also, this helps with those minor alterations in the footnotes (in case there's any confusion as to how they fit in.)

IMG_2450.thumb.JPG.968bbaefa9d804b69792493f85d93274.JPG

There's something interesting which I noticed in Deuteronomy 2:30. It reads "... for the Lord thy God hardened his spirit, and made his heart obstinate ..." 

The footnote points to Romans 9:18, Which reads "therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth." 

I don't know who wrote this footnote but it gives the impression that in this instance, God did indeed harden the heart of Sihon.

However, In the RLDS "New translation" Deuteronomy 2:30 reads "... for he hardened his heart, and made his heart obstinate ..." from this we clearly see that Sihon hardened his own heart.

As far as I know Bruce McConkie was the big advocate for the JST in the Scriptures project and I assume he read the entire thing. Either he thought this particular verse in Deuteronomy was an RLDS interlopation and ignored the change, or someone made a mistake.

Legally the church isn't allowed to use JSTs that are not owned by them. Like Vort said, the church doesn't own them all.

9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Is this an lds app? That is, does this contain the info that the lds version of the KJV already has?

It looks about as generic as possible. It is by iwpsoftware.look them up.