Tithing Schedule

seashmore

When do you turn in your tithing? With each paycheck? Once a month? Something else?

I'm really struggling to figure out the logistics of it for me. I get paid from one job every other Thursday, and the second job pays me the following Tuesday. Would it be silly to pay every week? (One job is only one day a week, so the amounts would be rather different.) Or would it make more sense to pay the first Sunday of the month? That's how I used to do it when I was working three jobs, before the days of direct deposit. I got paid every other Friday, every other Tuesday, and the 1st &15th. It just made sense to save my pay stubs, do the math, and pay it with a fast offering.

18 minutes ago, seashmore said:

When do you turn in your tithing? With each paycheck? Once a month? Something else?

I'm really struggling to figure out the logistics of it for me. I get paid from one job every other Thursday, and the second job pays me the following Tuesday. Would it be silly to pay every week? (One job is only one day a week, so the amounts would be rather different.) Or would it make more sense to pay the first Sunday of the month? That's how I used to do it when I was working three jobs, before the days of direct deposit. I got paid every other Friday, every other Tuesday, and the 1st &15th. It just made sense to save my pay stubs, do the math, and pay it with a fast offering.

as soon as I get it. Frequent payments of 10% sound so much nicer than having the pay 10% of a month's or year's earnings. Plus I think there is a spirit of procrastination when we hold off on paying tithing with a plan to do so later (But that is just me, I won't condemn anyone that does it that way).

So ya... as soon as you receive an increase, first thing you should do is pay tithing.

34 minutes ago, seashmore said:

I'm really struggling to figure out the logistics of it for me. I get paid from one job every other Thursday, and the second job pays me the following Tuesday. Would it be silly to pay every week? 

Not silly at all.  Do it the way things make the most sense for you.  

@Grunt online payment is an option

@Sunday21 @Fether I hesitate to use the online option mostly because I've had issues in the past with my student loan lenders garnishing my bank account without warning. I ended up living a cash only lifestyle for about seven months. (My direct deposit went to my sister, who would mail me a check and rent was paid via money order.) It has made me leery of any sort of automatic payments.

2 minutes ago, seashmore said:

@Sunday21 @Fether I hesitate to use the online option mostly because I've had issues in the past with my student loan lenders garnishing my bank account without warning. I ended up living a cash only lifestyle for about seven months. (My direct deposit went to my sister, who would mail me a check and rent was paid via money order.) It has made me leery of any sort of automatic payments.

The Church system is not like automatic payments.  But it does require a bank account - no credit / debit cards.  When you want to pay tithes or offerings, you log into LDS.org, navigate to the Donations area, enter your bank account info (if you've never done so before, or if it changes - this is a one-time thing), fill out a screen which looks just like a tithing slip, select the bank account to use (if you've added more than one), and submit.  Later, the Church initiates an electronic transfer (which is basically what happens anymore when you pay someone with a check).

This isn't to say I'm encouraging / discouraging your specific use of the system, just letting you know how it works.

I find this infinitely easier than tracking down a member of the bishopric to hand an envelope to, and I know they love it because it saves people a lot of time (they don't have to enter the data and handle the checks / cash).

8 minutes ago, seashmore said:

it has made me leery of any sort of automatic payments.

I fully respect that.

The key is that if you ever feel like you are short changing, getting around the system, or justify anything... you are likely doing tithing wrong. 

12 minutes ago, seashmore said:

Don't blame you! No one will object if you pay tithing every time, you get some money. I am sure many people who do odd jobs do this. In my ward, we have a rule that you have to put your name on the front of the envelope in case you forget to put the name inside. I think this rule is because new users sometimes forget. I had a friend who put cartoons in with his tithing. He was very cufffed to learn that the bishop kept them for years.

Edited by Sunday21

I know of people that pay tithing once a year and I know people that pay every time a pay check comes in.

As long as you pay the schedule should be whatever works for you.  I tend toward the later for much the same reasons other have already stated.

Electronic payments are not required to be "Automatic payments" But automatic payments are always electronic.

I get my check direct deposited.  I know when it should go in and so I watch my bank account until it shows up.  Then I use the bill pay part of my banks website to select and pay whatever bills I am choosing at that time.  Nothing is automatic (the option is there but I choose not to use it for much the same reason you have)

I pay 2 months at a time.  Based on how my income works, paying tithing every 60 days makes the most sense to me and is easiest to keep track of.

If I am remembering correctly the Church has told bishops it is ok to go all the way up to once a year before a tithe payer is doing it incorrectly (so you aren't supposed to tithe once every five years on five years income). Within that guideline you can pretty much do it how you want in regard to intervals.

Edited by DoctorLemon

12 hours ago, seashmore said:

I'm really struggling to figure out the logistics of it for me.

Many good suggestions here that you can try.  Bottom line, you need to be comfortable with your plan and do what works for you.

When I was bishop I had folks who paid annually, some paid weekly or monthly.  Others would pay a portion of their tithing monthly then do a true-up at tithing settlement.  There was one individual who would frequently hand me multiple donation envelopes at once.  I guess they had a supply at home and filled one out each time they got a paycheck but didn't always remember to bring them to church each week.  Others just put a stamp on the donation envelope and mailed it to me.  I can assure you that your bishop and his counselors will not mind if you hand them an envelope - or multiple envelopes - every week.  If nothing else it gives them the opportunity to shake your hand and say hello.

One constraint I put on people making donations was if they tried to hand me an envelope somewhere away from church I would ask that they wait until Sunday and give it to me at church.  For example, I was sitting at a college basketball game when a member of the ward sitting near me tried to hand me a donation envelope.  I declined; they were a bit put out by it.  Two reasons for my action:  1) it reduces the risk that I might lose it, and 2) the bishop isn't supposed to hold onto donated funds; they're supposed to be recorded and deposited as soon as possible.  The only exception I made was for donations that came in the mail which I would take with me to church each week.

13 hours ago, seashmore said:

Pay it every 36.525 days.

Guest MormonGator
14 hours ago, seashmore said:

@seashmore, I admire you for giving tithing so much consideration! 

I'm sure the church is appreciative of you giving 10% no matter when you do so. Weekly, monthly, yearly-whatever works for you. 

We were doing it once a month until recently, when we realized we each received two major paychecks a month (it's not uncommon for Husband to have multiple checks from side clients, but it's all roughly at the same time), we might as well do it twice a month. Just keeps the budget flowing nicely.