Gospel Principles, Chapter 2

serapha

"Our Heavenly Family"

page 11

"All men and women are.. literally the sons and daughters of Deity... Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents...prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal (physical body)    Joseph Smith, "The Origin of Man"...

Is this a church doctrine, or just a "teaching" of Joseph Smith.

If I don't have the memory of my previous life, how am I assured that it existed?

Where did we live before we were born on earth?

...we needed to leave our celestial home to be tested and to gain experience.....

If we passed our tests, we would receive the fulness of joy that our heaven parents have received.

Who determines if we pass, and what happens if one doesn't pass their tests?

And what is "a fulness of joy"???

On page 14, it states, "If we passd our tests, we would receive the fulness of joy... and on page 15 it states, "... if we placed our faith in him (a Savior), obeying his word and following his example, we would be exalted and become like our heavenly parents. We would receive a fulness of joy."

Is it passing the tests or our faith which gives us fulness of joy... (please define fulness of joy).

~serapha~

Originally posted by serapha@Apr 5 2004, 11:06 PM

"Our Heavenly Family"

page 11

"All men and women are.. literally the sons and daughters of Deity... Man, as a spirit, was begotten and born of heavenly parents...prior to coming upon the earth in a temporal (physical body)     Joseph Smith, "The Origin of Man"...

Is this a church doctrine, or just a "teaching" of Joseph Smith.

Not only is it a church doctrine, it is a biblical doctrine:

We take seriously the language about becoming the Children of God (Rom 8:16). God is the Father of our spirits (Heb 12:9) We are his offspring (Acts 17:29). Through the atonement of Christ we are begotten sons and daughters of God (1Peter 1:13). We partake of his divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

If I don't have the memory of my previous life, how am I assured that it existed?

The same way that you are assured of other things found in the Bible - through faith. I hope the threads on Biblical errancy didn't completely destroy your faith in the Bible.

...we needed to leave our celestial home to be tested and to gain experience.....

If we passed our tests, we would receive the fulness of joy that our heaven parents have received.

Who determines if we pass, and what happens if one doesn't pass their tests?

Are you perhaps familiar with Psalms 50:3-6 or Matt 16:27?