Home teaching alone

Fether

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

My ward puts young men in the HT rotation.  I thought this was a standard thing with the Church.  They always assign young men with their fathers.  Fathers with 2 or more priesthood holder sons gets to have 2 or more HT companions.  They even put young men on the... ugh, can't remember the name for it.. you know when missionary companionship split up and take members of the ward with them to teach instead.  What's that called again?  Anyway, they get to be put on that list with their fathers.

When they turn 14 (Teacher).

On 8/10/2017 at 6:45 AM, paracaidista508 said:

Re taking a juvenile priesthood holder with you my minimally informed opinion says that is a bad idea. In scouts we can't be alone with them, but now you want to have one alone with you in your car?  I'd just go alone rather than take someone's kid with me. I don't trust them.

You can take your complaint up with the Lord who specified:

I missed the part where I was complaining. I said it is a bad idea. 

46 The priest’s duty is to preach, teach, expound, exhort, and baptize, and administer the sacrament,

47 And visit the house of each member, and exhort them to pray vocally and in secret and attend to all family duties.

51 And visit the house of each member, exhorting them to pray vocally and in secret and attend to all family duties.

52 In all these duties the priest is to assist the elder if occasion requires

If in your mind, taking a juvenile with you alone in your car is the last and only option and it is required- go for it. As for me (and I stated as much above) I wouldn't do it. I'll take the nasty black mark next to my name from the EQ pres for not doing my HT for the month.

As many kids as we have around here on psychotropic meds, and self-proclaimed mental anxieties of many flavors I dont trust them meaning making a false accusation in order to further their drama. Understood some kids have problems, but I never want to be listed as a "Lead, Person of Interest or Suspect" in a police report regarding an allegation of some sexual crime or anything else for that matter. 

Edited by paracaidista508

6 hours ago, mirkwood said:

When they turn 14 (Teacher).

I was partnered with my dad from prob age 12 or earlier until I graduated HS. He had a fairly significant church calling and time was in extremely short supply. Made it easier to just take me instead of trying to work out the details with someone else. Boy did we have some real live drama cases to visit. Im thinking these days this would not happened.

20 hours ago, paracaidista508 said:

I missed the part where I was complaining. I said it is a bad idea.

You're right.  Telling the Lord He gave us a bad idea is not complaining.

14 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You're right.  Telling the Lord He gave us a bad idea is not complaining.

Thank you. Please point out the scripture that says...."put a kid in your car." Only says it is the priests duty to assist an elder, not how it is done. Saying that I think the Lord's guidance is a bad idea is very clearly lying about what I said. You Carb are a liar.  You are  very clearly misrepresenting what I said.

You can interpret the intent of the scripture as you wish and so can I. I can right? Or am I supposed to be a mindless myrmidon?

Edited by paracaidista508

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 5:58 PM, Fether said:

Is there anything written that suggests we shouldn't go alone? 

As my Wards Elders Quorum President, I often consult the Handbook and General Conference talks for guidance and clarification. I believe there are some very strong written suggestions that home teaching is to be completed as a companionship. I would encourage you to prayerfully consider the following information and then act on it. Let the Spirit guide you as to how.

Handbook:

5.1.4 Ward Missionaries (I know you are referring to your calling as a Home Teacher, but its worth mentioning)... "They need not have assigned companions, but they should not go alone when visiting in homes."

7.4.1 "Before visiting a home, companions pray together." 

7.4.2 ... "leaders assign a companionship of two home teachers to each household where possible"... I stress the phrases "assign a companionship" and "two home teachers" and "where possible"... Unless it is not possible to assign a companionship, I think that is a strong suggestion that Home Teaching efforts are best administered as a companionship.

General Conference Talks:

“Home teaching, properly functioning, brings to ‘the house of each member’ two priesthood bearers divinely commissioned and authoritatively called into the service by their priesthood leader and bishop." Your home teaching calling is not functioning properly. Something should be done about it.. sooner rather than later.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1987/04/to-the-home-teachers-of-the-church?lang=eng

I wish the Elders in my stewardship would come to me more often and ask me to find a solution to their Home Teaching challenges. There is always a solution. I would also suggest you speak to your EQP and inform him of your circumstance right away. Ask him to go with you when you have an appointment to home teach or ask him to give you an active companion. If you do not receive a favorable response to your request, speak to your Bishop. He will facilitate the solution. I would not suggest you simply accept the situation as "the way it is" and keep doing your Home Teaching as an individual. Your current companion might be less active for a variety of reasons. He may have personal issues he does not want to talk to the Bishop about, but should. His testimony might be thin at present. He might resent the fact he was not being home taught so he stopped home teaching as often as he should. He might need you to be his Home Teacher rather than his companion. There is a solution to be found if you bring the problem to the surface. There will be no solution found of you bury the problem.

I wish you well.. 

Edited by HelamansArmy
I strive to do my best in all things at all times, when I fall short of that, I try again