What the heck is wrong with young men today?

Just_A_Guy

I just did a session at a temple in Southern California and am waiting outside for Just_A_Girl to come out.

There is a lovely newlywed couple here having their wedding pictures taken. 

Groom has three days' growth on his face.

Is this "groom-can't-be-bothered-to-shave-on-his-wedding-day" look becoming a thing?  I mean, it's not a beard--it's just stubble.

Seriously, guys--what the heck?

24 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I just did a session at a temple in Southern California and am waiting outside for Just_A_Girl to come out.

Is this "groom-can't-be-bothered-to-shave-on-his-wedding-day" look becoming a thing?  I mean, it's not a beard--it's just stubble.

i had a business meeting yesterday with a PhD in accounting who was representing his department. 3 day stubble. Why?

43 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Paging Don Johnson ...

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

For the last 5 years I just use hair trimmers to get the stubble manageable. I dont use razors at all because they irritate my skin and Besides that I dont feel comfortable with my apoearance all the way shaved. Take it for what its worth but just because you think a person should be clean shaven to be either worthy, perfect, or whatever in your own eyes doesnt mean much to me other than being judgemental.

I only shave completely about once every few months.  I generally just trim down to stubble when I cut my hair (do it myself).  However, for my wedding day I was clean shaven, although I did forget to get a haircut and had way too much hair on top.  If I were to have another wedding day, I would be clean shaven or beard, whichever the misses would prefer. Perhaps his wife wanted him to have the stubble?

This linked website suggests that stubble is in style for 2017.  In fact it gives 25 different 'hot' styles of stubble with accompanying images.  Perhaps it's a thing these days.

I almost always have stubble.

My wife finds stubble very attractive!

If i felt I could get away with it at work I would always have a goatee or beard without a mustache.  I don't do mustaches.  Ever.

Edited by DoctorLemon

7 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

How do you know it was 3 days growth? Did you actually ask him? Maybe facial hair just grows on him like nobody's business.

M.

10 minutes ago, Maureen said:

How do you know it was 3 days growth?

Men's hair does grow at different lengths.  My wooly mammoth of a husband has "three day stubble" at 3 o'clock.  My naked mole rat friend once told me "look, look- after a two months of trying I managed to grow a mustache!"... ummm.... well.... there was a tiny bit of a shadow there... if you squinted at it in the right light...

He probably forgot that Mormons are not allowed to grow a beard or drink coke or wear shorts or any other of the fake rules or commandments some of the membership likes to kick around in the church. Look how long it took for the church to actually make a proclamation saying we could drink coke, pepsi etc... As for the beards, that is a BYU and mission thing. Outside of that no one cares.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=54797595&itype=CMSID

Edited by paracaidista508

47 minutes ago, Snigmorder said:

I used to wear 3 day stubble as an accessory. Got more looks from girls at church once I shaved it off.

Whether that's a good or a bad thing it's a another matter.

True story: the last time I remember my brother-in-law baby faced was the first time he came to church...seven years ago . He also was sans baseball cap, which he would wear everywhere. Hence my friend who had spent some time with him said to him as he was walking down the hall, "You look funny!" Right in front of the bishop's first counselor and EQP. The looks on their faces were priceless. Anyway, I used to tease him that I could tell whenever he got a new girlfriend because he would give in to the "I want to see you without your beard!" Three days later, his face was full and normal. He's always done a pretty good job of keeping it tidy, though.

Guest LiterateParakeet
9 hours ago, person0 said:

This linked website suggests that stubble is in style for 2017.  In fact it gives 25 different 'hot' styles of stubble with accompanying images.  Perhaps it's a thing these days.

6 hours ago, DoctorLemon said:

I almost always have stubble.

My wife finds stubble very attractive!

Yep, I think it is in style right now, and I am one of those women who finds it attractive.  I also like long or longish hair on men. ;)  

17 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I personally know several businessmen who groom this way. 

Yeah it's the style to have stubble.

Yes facial hair grows at different lengths for different men. My brother went to BYU. There is a rule that you should shave each day. He constantly was asked by the folks at the testing center whether he had shaved that day and the answer was always an honest "yes". He just grows it faster. Then he finally got a beard card (medical reasons -- shaving irritates his skin) and rarely had his beard card checked.. apparently if you have a beard at BYU everyone just assumes you have a beard card. XD

I hate shaving. It takes time and my skin is a bit sensitive to it. I usually just keep some stubble. I'm sure I look better without the stubble (I'm not one of those men that looks good with a beard as I don't have much facial hair at all) but it's a comfort thing for me. 

On 8/11/2017 at 0:03 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

There was an Area 70 General Authority who came to speak to us on our mission. He said that if you returned home from your mission and decided to start growing facial hair at any point in your life from then on, it was "Amen to the authority of that man's Priesthood"

1 hour ago, clbent04 said:

There was an Area 70 General Authority who came to speak to us on our mission. He said that if you returned home from your mission and decided to start growing facial hair at any point in your life from then on, it was "Amen to the authority of that man's Priesthood"

Finally! Someone willing to speak the unpopular truth!

6ef7f88a21ad903eff3f9849e4871714--facial61870832-cartoon-red-devil-satan-or-luci

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, clbent04 said:

I dont accept that. I  couldn't find anything about it on LDS.org. I'm going to need more than some guy on the Internet said that some nameless 70 said . . .

No offense. 

I know the dress code at BYU/BYUI doesn't allow it, but aren't jeans also prohibited on campus?  I know flip flops are. That is not the standard for the whole church.  

Now, if someone if someone can show us something in writing...for the general membership, not missionaries or college students that would be great.

11 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I dont accept that. I  couldn't find anything about it on LDS.org. I'm going to need more than some guy on the Internet said that some nameless 70 said . . .

No offense. 

I know the dress code at BYU/BYUI doesn't allow it, but aren't jeans also prohibited on campus?  I know flip flops are. That is not the standard for the whole church.  

Now, if someone if someone can show us something in writing...for the general membership, not missionaries or college students that would be great.

Not saying you should accept it. That's the only time I've heard anyone in the Church suggest your Priesthood isn't effective if you have facial hair. Sorry I don't remember his name. My companions could also vouch that this was a true account and could probably even remember his name. Even though it was spoken directly to us, I think even our missionary group should question how much validity a one-off statement like this should have for the Church even if said by an Area 70 leader

Edited by clbent04