Trusting Your Kids with Others at Church

clbent04

Do any parents out there have trouble trusting their kids in the care of others at church during nursery or primary, and if so, what do you do?

I don't like the thought of leaving my baby when she gets old enough in the care of someone at the nursery who I don't know very well. Even if I do get to know them by helping out in the nursery for a period, I feel like whoever is in there watching over the nursery is still a stranger (I guess everyone would be a stranger since I haven't been to church for awhile).  Should I just trust that the bishop was inspired to call whoever he did to that position?

We currently use a daycare facility for our baby Monday - Friday. The facility is great. You have to sign in and out, it has cameras, the only people who have access to the daycare are the teachers and parents, and there is only one way in and out. I always feel safe with my baby there and have zero trust issues. 

The church's nursery and primary school does not have safe guards in place like these. Any advice from other parents on what you've done to feel more comfortable leaving your kids in the care of others at church?

Edited by clbent04

Guest LiterateParakeet

I know its cliché but pray about it. Go to the nursery with your child. If after a time, you feel comfortable, go ahead and leave the baby. If not, don't. You don't have to leave your child in nursery if you're not comfortable. 

Once your baby is 3, if you still feel uncomfortable you can go to Primary.  I think though, as Grunt said, you'll feel better about it when you get to know the people.  

3 hours ago, clbent04 said:

Do any parents out there have trouble trusting their kids in the care of others at church during nursery or primary, and if so, what do you do?

I don't like the thought of leaving my baby when she gets old enough in the care of someone at the nursery who I don't know very well. Even if I do get to know them by helping out in the nursery for a period, I feel like whoever is in there watching over the nursery is still a stranger (I guess everyone would be a stranger since I haven't been to church for awhile).  Should I just trust that the bishop was inspired to call whoever he did to that position?

We currently use a daycare facility for our baby Monday - Friday. The facility is great. You have to sign in and out, it has cameras, the only people who have access to the daycare are the teachers and parents, and there is only one way in and out. I always feel safe with my baby there and have zero trust issues. 

The church's nursery and primary school does not have safe guards in place like these. Any advice from other parents on what you've done to feel more comfortable leaving your kids in the care of others at church?

I get your reservations: I was abused as a kid and am super super paranoid about having someone else watch my kid.

There's a couple of things which can help, in no particular order:

- Get to know the nursery leaders, either by inviting them over for dinner, or by volunteering to help out with the nursery yourself.  Nursery is two hours long each week, and you actually do get to know the other leaders well very fast.  And yes, you can indeed volunteer to help out.

- The nursery has windows, feel free to peek in anytime.  This really helped me feel more comfortable.  I still peek in now, just because I like seeing her giggling and having fun.   

- Note: not just anyone is allowed to pick up your kid.  The leaders know which kid goes to which parent, and that's who takes the kid home, no one else.  They also will come get you (the parent) if  something comes up (including dirty diapers).  

- Also: nursery teachers are NEVER alone.  There's always multiple people there, windows, etc. 

- There's also an church guide about protections made for children... I can dig this up somewhere if you'd like.

Personally, I feel more comfortable with my daughter at her church class than daycare, because I can peek in whenever, and am just in the other room, etc.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

20 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I get your reservations: I was abused as a kid and am super super paranoid about having someone else watch my kid.

There's a couple of things which can help, in no particular order:

- Get to know the nursery leaders, either by inviting them over for dinner, or by volunteering to help out with the nursery yourself.  Nursery is two hours long each week, and you actually do get to know the other leaders well very fast.  And yes, you can indeed volunteer to help out.

- The nursery has windows, feel free to peek in anytime.  This really helped me feel more comfortable.  I still peek in now, just because I like seeing her giggling and having fun.   

- Note: not just anyone is allowed to pick up your kid.  The leaders know which kid goes to which parent, and that's who takes the kid home, no one else.  They also will come get you (the parent) if  something comes up (including dirty diapers).  

- Also: nursery teachers are NEVER alone.  There's always multiple people there, windows, etc. 

- There's also an church guide about protections made for children... I can dig this up somewhere if you'd like.

Personally, I feel more comfortable with my daughter at her church class than daycare, because I can peek in whenever, and am just in the other room, etc.  

Yeah I am paranoid about this as well. Too many bad people out there, and the church isn't exempt from having a few crazies come through from time to time. Crazies who somehow slip through the cracks and are assigned callings they should never have. Thanks for taking the time to explain how it can be more secure than it looks

Edited by clbent04

Do you feel the same way about sending your kids to public school? You mentioned daycare. There isn't much difference with classes at church.  We do have safegards in place.  Talk to the bishop or primary president to get more familiar with what you can do.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Do you feel the same way about sending your kids to public school?

No, no issue with public school. Mostly concerned with them at the baby age since they are more vulnerable.  Something out of line could happen in a classroom one day, and even after you pick up your baby, you might never find out about it since the baby wouldn't be able to communicate what happened.  I'm sure I'm making it a bigger deal than it is and would be fine once I was integrated again in a ward. Just never had to deal with going to church with a baby before, and I never really stopped and studied how all the other parents do it