The question of marriage

Sorry for my question and English. I want to ask can a member of your church make a marriage with the deceased if they were not married during life. If so, what are the conditions for this. Where can I read this. Your critics often use this, but I would like to know from you and the original sources for sure.

If you mean a living person be sealed (married) to a deceased person when the two were never wed (not even under common law) while both were alive, then to the best of my knowledge, there is no such option.  People can't just go getting sealed (married) to some dead stranger.

But if they were living together under what's referred to as a common law marriage, and this can be proven, and one of the two dies, and the surviving one becomes worthy of a temple sealing, then I think that would be possible.  (It would definitely be possible if they were married while both were alive.)

I suppose it may be possible that if a couple were engaged and had an appointment in the temple to be sealed, and one died suddenly before the wedding, that some special exception could be made, but that seems doubtful to me - I've never heard of this actually being done, and only once of the survivor wanting it done.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will drop by soon to check my facts...  Let us know if you have additional questions.

PS: Welcome to the forums! :)

Welcome and thanks for checking with members and not just going along with what critics say (wish more would do the same)!!

One thing to keep in mind, all proxy ordinances need to be accepted by the person it's done for. They still have their agency to choose and agree to it or not. We're not forcing anyone into anything, we're just making things possible.

Edited by my two cents

My great-great-grandma and great-great-grandpa lived and died without ever hearing about the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  A hundred years after their deaths, we did their ordinance work in the temple, allowing them to be sealed for time and all eternity on the other side of the veil if they so desire.

That's how it works.  Someone currently alive can't marry a dead person.  

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Right.  They had to be married in some way (religious rite, civil ceremony, civil law).

I think that if it can be shown the deceased couple was engaged at the time of one person's death, a posthumous sealing is possible.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I think that if it can be shown the deceased couple was engaged at the time of one person's death, a posthumous sealing is possible.  

Yeah, that's kinda the one I was theorizing on earlier.  But for the purposes of the OP, he's basically right, and the anti-Mormon stuff is trying to deceive - we don't go sealing living people to total strangers (dead or alive).

38 minutes ago, alexk said:

I thank everyone for the answers and your kindness. I understood. Only those who were married during their lifetime can be sealed. Right? The question was asked because it is often written in anti-Mormon articles (at least in Russia, where there is a very strong Orthodox lobby).

Not a problem!  Let us know if you have any more questions!

17 minutes ago, zil said:

...we don't go sealing living people to total strangers (dead or alive).

Meanwhile, maybe I should form an offshoot...  For a nominal fee, I'll seal you to whomever you choose.  I could make husband and wife catalogs.  Wanna be sealed to Cary Grant, sure fine, never mind that you're the twelfth person today... ;)

7 minutes ago, zil said:

Meanwhile, maybe I should form an offshoot...  For a nominal fee, I'll seal you to whomever you choose.  I could make husband and wife catalogs.  Wanna be sealed to Cary Grant, sure fine, never mind that you're the twelfth person today... ;)

So who would you like to be sealed to? Brigham Young is very popular! He thought of it first!

9 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

So who would you like to be sealed to? Brigham Young is very popular! He thought of it first!

If I'm gonna go all apostate and start sealing myself to a bunch of guys, I am not picking someone who looks like Brigham Young did - anyway, he's got enough wives already.  I'm going with someone with a little more visual appeal. ;)

6 minutes ago, zil said:

If I'm gonna go all apostate and start sealing myself to a bunch of guys, I am not picking someone who looks like Brigham Young did - anyway, he's got enough wives already.  I'm going with someone with a little more visual appeal. ;)

I dunno . . . Pre-beard I think Young could have held his own in a contest of visual appeal . . .

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I dunno . . . Pre-beard I think Young could have held his own in a contest of visual appeal . . .

Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs, Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs, Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs...  Zero contest.

31 minutes ago, zil said:

This is a joke, of course. Well, you can do it anywhere, if someone really wants to ))

Meanwhile, for a separate processing charge, we can arrange for your resurrected body to be, er, augmented to your specifications.

(PS: There'll be a holding charge to be sealed to Daniel Craig, since he's still living - we'll have to record the request and alert you when he dies, or arrange for a proxy for you if you've also died.)

I should probably start writing some of this down...

16 minutes ago, zil said:

Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs, Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs, Brigham Young abs, Daniel Craig abs...  Zero contest.

Where did you find the picture to give you a good idea of what Brigham Young's abs looked like?

Just now, SilentOne said:

Where did you find the picture to give you a good idea of what Brigham Young's abs looked like?

220px-Brigham_Young_by_Charles_Roscoe_Sa

That's as much as I need / want to know about Brother Brigham's abs.

(I'm beginning to think someone should change the subject before a not so imaginary lightning bolt hits me...)

39 minutes ago, zil said:

A bunch of guys? So they will have to compete for you? I wonder how many women have secretly been sealed to CS Lewis?

I know! You can be sealed to Tolkien!