The question of marriage

17 minutes ago, zil said:

Eternity is a long time... ;)

This is an excellent plan. It will take a long time for the genelogical authorities to catch up with you! By that time we could have sealed you to F Scott Fitzgerald (watch out for Zelda!), Hemingway (bit of a drunk!), John Donne, Robert Burns. Lots of good looking male writers! No doubt when the angels in heaven sort this out, they will miss a few sealings and you can keep one or two for eternity!

Edited by Sunday21

In fact, the logic of anti-Mormon critics is longer. They present this as follows: Mormons collect information about your deceased relatives, then their baptism and further may marry them. I simplified a little, but the meaning is something like this. Many then think so.

3 minutes ago, alexk said:

In fact, the logic of anti-Mormon critics is longer. They present this as follows: Mormons collect information about your deceased relatives, then their baptism and further may marry them. I simplified a little, but the meaning is something like this. Many then think so.

We perform proxy ordinances eg baptisms for our immediate family (brothers, sisters, parents) and for our own relatives who have been dead for over 100 years (maybe 125 years?). We do not do nonrelatives. 

I cannot do my aunts or uncles without permission from their closest relatives.

i have about 150 names from the 1800's. It takes a long time for me to perform the ceremonies for my own family. If I 'release' the name of an ancestor and ask strangers to help me, it takes at least 3 years to have the work done.

Nothing personal but..given that we have so much work to do for our own families, we cannot even think about doing work for random nonMormons. Sorry no time for that!

19 minutes ago, alexk said:

That's funny!  I admit, that's a new one I haven't heard before.  

19 minutes ago, alexk said:

We do collect information about our deceased relatives.  We do baptize them by proxy.  The error is that we only "marry" (seal) those who were married to each other in life.  We do NOT marry any of them to the living.

I wonder if some of the confusion comes from the word "seal" - which can mean to join a husband and wife (marry them for eternity), but it also means to link a child to their parents for eternity.  So, I am sealed to my parents, who are sealed to their parents, etc. back many generations - thus indirectly "sealing" the living me to my ancestors who are long dead.

Perhaps someone heard that idea, thought that "seal" is always "marry" and got the crazy notion that I was going to marry my great-great grandfather or something.

Alternately, someone could just willfully be misrepresenting what we believe.

11 hours ago, zil said:

I should probably start writing some of this down...

7 hours ago, zil said:

Shhh!  I'm busy.  Making an app for that.  I'll let you know when it's done.

Sounds like it needs to be a multi-purpose app. Better ask someone else to do it.

20 hours ago, alexk said:

I thank everyone for the answers and your kindness. I understood. Only those who were married during their lifetime can be sealed. Right? The question was asked because it is often written in anti-Mormon articles (at least in Russia, where there is a very strong Orthodox lobby).

There was the couple from "17 Miracles" who were engaged prior to the man's death and were sealed over 100 years later.