Accessing FamilySearch records as a non-member

lima

Hi,

I'm a hobby genealogist from Germany and I'm interested in some online/digitized microfilm images on familysearch.org. Unfortunately, these are only available to members that have a connected LDS account, which I don't have (because I don't have a "Membership Record Number").

I'm now hoping that someone here could help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
Lisa

The records that you wish to access are available online in your local family history centre.

https://familysearch.org/ask/help  If you acess this page, you can change the location to get a phone number near to you. 

To find the nearest family history centre. Google 'family history center'

If you contact your local family history centre, you will find a volunteer to help you. Usually the director of the family history centre is happy to help. As these centres are run by volunteers, you may have to make a few calls to find a willing volunteer. Myself, I would try to contact the director of the centre and get help from this person.

By the way, I am Canadian so my point of view may differ from that of others but...as a nonmember, you should find others very eager to help you. (Members are family so sometimes we forget our 'company manners'). If you encounter someone who is less than polite, don't assume that they represent everyone. Just call back at a different time. 

Edited by Sunday21

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply, Sunday21!

I already tried looking for a family history center, but unfortunately, the only one that's within driving distance for me here in Germany is only open when I have to work :-(
That's why I was hoping that a forum user might be willing to help directly.

Thanks again!
Lisa

Hi,

I hadn't heard of Meeting Houses yet, there's indeed one near me :-)
Thanks for this suggestion, and also the chat idea! I'll take a look at that :-)

If someone has other suggestions as well, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thank you and best wishes,
Lisa

• 4 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 7:04 AM, lima said:

Hi,

I'm a hobby genealogist from Germany and I'm interested in some online/digitized microfilm images on familysearch.org. Unfortunately, these are only available to members that have a connected LDS account, which I don't have (because I don't have a "Membership Record Number").

I'm now hoping that someone here could help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
Lisa

Hi Lisa, 

I have good news for you. The information you were given earlier is incorrect.

You do not have to have an LDS membership record number to access familysearch.org or most records. I am not aware personally of any records that are not available to non-members through family search that are available to members, which is sometimes the case through a partner. If the records of a partner are made free, then they are accessible at the libraries. 

I would like to make you aware of several resources available to you:

1.  Build for free a family tree within www.familysearch.org and search and attach records from Germany that are available by searching.

2. Access the Research Wiki by geographical area that provides records available that are not yet indexed (so you cannot search for the record). See www.familysearch.org > Get Help > Research Wiki. (No account is needed to access this.) 

3. Find a family history library for all people (members or those who are not members of our faith) by going to www.familysearch.org > Get Help > Help Center > Family History Center > Find a Family History Center. 

4. Ancestry and Family Search work together to connect files. This is automatic and if you have an Ancestry Account, this is the best way to move the files.

If it is really the case that you cannot find the records without an LDS account, please include the information here and I will gladly look up a name or two. I have done research in Germany before so I would be happy to look it up for you. I will check on here again if I can answer your questions if you do happen to get this message.

Best of luck and it is an exciting time finding things online,

Ray of Sunshine

On 8/18/2017 at 8:43 AM, lima said:

Hi,

I hadn't heard of Meeting Houses yet, there's indeed one near me :-)
Thanks for this suggestion, and also the chat idea! I'll take a look at that :-)

If someone has other suggestions as well, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thank you and best wishes,
Lisa

Hopefully, you have found a meeting house by now. But here is the link for those that need this link: https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/@0.000000,0.000000,2.