History of Garments

clbent04

Maybe the officiating priests?

From https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/ascending-mountain-lord-temple-praise-and-worship-old-testament/clothed-holy-garments

The Breeches (Leviticus 6:8–10; Exodus 28:42–43)

While the Leviticus pericope doesn’t specifically mention it, Baruch Levine points out that “it is to be assumed that at the beginning of the robing the priests were wearing their linen breeches” [30] which reached to the knees. These breeches, or underpants, were made of linen, which is not a product of animals (which are subject to death and corruption). Thus, they become a fitting symbol of both incorruptibility and immortality. [31] From the perspective of a Christocentric reading of the passage, the implication is that Christ is both incorruptible and also immortal. By extension, the breeches can suggest to the observer that (in this increasingly immoral world) Christ’s followers should not allow their lives to become corrupted. Significantly, the fact that these breeches cover the loins—in other words, the reproductive area—is itself a potential symbol that the wearer needs to control his appetites and passions, lest defilement and corruption ensue. As the faithful followers of Christ reject all that corrupts, they have reason to hope that through Christ they shall also obtain immortality and “eternal lives” (D&C 132:24, 55).

Edited by Sunday21

14 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Maybe the officiating priests?

Why would every endowed member of the restored church wear garments today if only officiating priests wore garments back then?

Edited by clbent04

12 hours ago, clbent04 said:

Why would every member of the restored church wear garments today if only officiating priests wore garments back then?

Because there are different customs in different dispensations to accommodate different needs? eg law of Moses because the formerly enslaved Jews were not very good at retaining what they were taught due to years of slavery.

Also, for all we know the ancient Jews DID wear garments. Note that the quote above assumes the linen breaches for priests. Perhaps because all the male Jews wore them?

In any case, the references that I looked at said that little is known about ancient underwear because the materials degrade easily so not found in archeological digs.

Edited by Sunday21

Since we're talking about garments, I have a short story told me by my dad.

My dad was helping my uncle move an old metal shed. In the process of moving the shed, the old metal collapsed and tore and came down on my dad's leg. It tore straight through his new denim jeans, but his leg was left uninjured because it hadn't penetrated his garments.

10 hours ago, clbent04 said:

Have garments always been worn by members of the true church of God even back during the times of the Old and New Testament?

I suspect you're aware of the Jewish tallit katan, which originates from an injunction in Numbers about making fringes in the corners of one's garments as a remembrance.  And IIRC, Nibley points to ancient sources ascribing divine power to garments worn by Adam, Noah, Nimrod, etc.  

The form and symbolic significance of the garment have probably evolved over time to suit the needs of various generations; but the overall concept of specialized holy clothing that reminds God's people of their covenants and offers some measure of divine protection seems fairly consistent over time.

On 8/25/2017 at 9:49 PM, clbent04 said:

Have garments always been worn by members of the true church of God even back during the times of the Old and New Testament?

gammadia.jpg

Sacred clothing (which is what the garment is) have been a part of both Old and New Testament orthodoxy. See @Just_A_Guy's post and https://askgramps.org/history-of-garments/

Whilst on the subject of garments. Why can't men wear capped sleeve tops like women can it ? 

(In the photos, the garment wasn't modified for the photo in any way, the sleeves just ended up poking down after some gardening/tree lopping. )

IMG_8994.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

IMG_8996.JPG

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, Lehite said:

I will have to email distribution then . 

@LehiteI would talk to distribution services. If that does not work out, I would talk to God. When I first got garments, I didn't have immediate success and I had no one to talk to about the issue, so I talked to God. 

Edited by Sunday21

On 8/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, Lehite said:

Whilst on the subject of garments. Why can't men wear capped sleeve tops like women can it ? 

(In the photos, the garment wasn't modified for the photo in any way, the sleeves just ended up poking down after some gardening/tree lopping. )

<photos>

Get the mesh garment shirts a couple sizes too small.  Let them stretch.  With smaller shirts come shorter sleeves.  And they will stretch.  Just break them in.  Some of the other fabrics will also stretch.  You'll have to do some experiments and try different sizes.  But this method does work without having to order custom shirts.

Edited by Guest

@Lehite Men can wear women's garments and women can wear men's garments, the marking are the same so it doesn't matter. I worked ad a service missionary in the Distrubution Center and that is what I was told. I don't think cutting the frilly part off is against the rules as it is really not part of the garments but they discourage you from cutting onto the garments and making alterations. 

You can also special order like @Sunday21 suggestion and ask that the sleeves be shorter or do as @Carborendumsuggested and order a size or two smaller. I have never special ordered so I don't know how it works but I sometimes would buy my tops two times smaller and let the stretch.  They were uncomfortable to begin with but they became my favorite tops. Now they changed the tops so I like them better and don't have to stretch them myself. 

Good luck in finding something that works!

They  are mainly for the summer when I wear T shirts a lot.

I'm a joiner/carpenter and when I'm at work I wear cotton one piece garments so I'm not forever tucking myself in, so as not to get a 'builders bum'. I like em, lots of support and no bum cleavage, ..sorted ??

On 8/28/2017 at 3:56 PM, Lehite said:

So what's the difference between me modefying it and LDS distribution doing a modefied version . . . 

Only that in our day, we've been asked not to do it.  In earlier days, Church members were free to sew their own garments using Church-approved patterns.  I presume this privilege was revoked because too many people were abusing it (that seems to be how these things usually go); but that's really just speculation on my part.