Alma Chapter 30 - September 2, 2017

pam

Whenever I read this chapter, I'm always struck by the complete lack of logic in Korihor's claims:

• You can't know the future / can't know things you don't see / can't know there will be a Christ / the things you believe aren't true / no atonement / v28: he claims God will never be
    • Well, if you can't know the future, he can't know whether they're true or not, or what will / won't be
  • v18: "telling them that when a man was dead, that was the end thereof."
    • v53, he saw a devil in the form of an angel, and this angel said the people had gone after an unknown God, but then said there is no God - so who sent the angel? what authority does this angel have? - and if we die and that's the end, then where did this angel come from? - apparently there's something other than mortality, but not after?  Or...?

I sometimes wonder if Korihor wasn't prompted by Satan to ask for a sign, so that Korihor's condemnation would be even greater.

Also in v53, Korihor says he lied for so long and with such success that he came to believe his own lies.  This strikes me as an important lesson both about being truthful, and about not getting carried away by "mysteries" or your own conclusions in things that have not been revealed.

• 10 months later...

I have got a question. Why does Mormon tell us 3 times that there was no law against believe. Why does he think that it is so important that he has to tell us 3 times in 4 verses. Any ideas? 

sorry for my english, i am not a native speaker. 

Edited by McFlurry

Welcome, @McFlurry (hope you're pleased with yourself - now I want an Oreo McFlurry :D).  Anywho, I think Mormon repeats it because it would be an issue in our day.  He's trying to teach us to recognize the difference between what a person believes and what they do, and not to punish people based on belief, nor support laws which do that - something a lot of people seem to want these days.