I was called to be a ward missionary, what's the best approach to help others?

Springtrapped

Welcome to the forum and to the Church! Glad to have you part of both. 

That's great about your calling. I suggest reading each weeks Gospel Principles lesson ahead of time so you're better prepared to answer questions and offer insights. Also, as you share your testimony, remember that people respond to enthusiasm. I also suggest introducing new converts to the family history consultants so they can start on their family history and finding names to take to the temple. 

Welcome!

I was a Ward Missionary a few years ago.

My suggestion - new member discussions and fellowshipping needs to be a big part of your calling.  Make sure this is accomplished not just for yourself but also for other new members in your ward.  The transition from investigator to member can be a difficult and trying one.  Especially as the full-time missionaries get less and less involved with the new member.  This is where the ward missionaries can pick up the involvement and get the new member fellowshipped by long-time ward members.

Hope this helps.

We sometimes have family home evenings (FHE) for new members. You could ask families if they would like to have a new member join them for family home evening. Once the new members have attended one or two FHEs, you could encourage the new members to hold their own. Once you have some FHEs up and running, you can ask them to invite investigators.

Other ideas, have the missionaries give a weeknight Book of Mormon class or if there is demand, an English class. Invite members to help.

Have missionaries email list of investigators to you. Send this list to Relief Society president to send to sisters. Have sisters pray for investigators and the elders. This method increases elders' dinner appointments and increases families' interest in investigators. Breaks the ice for investigators. More sisters volunteer to sit in lessons with investigators.

Ask single adults teacher if there is a sister/elder who will volunteer to sit in sacrament/gospel principles with Investigator of same gender. Give these names to missionaries who can ask single adult to attend lessons with Investigator. Do same with young men/young women. 

Edited by Sunday21

20 hours ago, my two cents said:

Welcome to the forum and to the Church! Glad to have you part of both. 

That's great about your calling. I suggest reading each weeks Gospel Principles lesson ahead of time so you're better prepared to answer questions and offer insights. Also, as you share your testimony, remember that people respond to enthusiasm. I also suggest introducing new converts to the family history consultants so they can start on their family history and finding names to take to the temple. 

Thank you! I'll keep that all in mind. :) 

17 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Welcome!

I was a Ward Missionary a few years ago.

My suggestion - new member discussions and fellowshipping needs to be a big part of your calling.  Make sure this is accomplished not just for yourself but also for other new members in your ward.  The transition from investigator to member can be a difficult and trying one.  Especially as the full-time missionaries get less and less involved with the new member.  This is where the ward missionaries can pick up the involvement and get the new member fellowshipped by long-time ward members.

Hope this helps.

I strongly appreciate it! I, as well as a new member, can do the best I can to fulfill my calling. :D 

15 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

We sometimes have family home evenings (FHE) for new members. You could ask families if they would like to have a new member join them for family home evening. Once the new members have attended one or two FHEs, you could encourage the new members to hold their own. Once you have some FHEs up and running, you can ask them to invite investigators.

Other ideas, have the missionaries give a weeknight Book of Mormon class or if there is demand, an English class. Invite members to help.

Have missionaries email list of investigators to you. Send this list to Relief Society president to send to sisters. Have sisters pray for investigators and the elders. This method increases elders' dinner appointments and increases families' interest in investigators. Breaks the ice for investigators. More sisters volunteer to sit in lessons with investigators.

Ask single adults teacher if there is a sister/elder who will volunteer to sit in sacrament/gospel principles with Investigator of same gender. Give these names to missionaries who can ask single adult to attend lessons with Investigator. Do same with young men/young women. 

Ever since I was an investigator, I attend a Wednesday night Book of Mormon class, and there's usually tons of discussion for understanding based on the scriptures being read. Right now, we're in Alma 33, so it's getting exciting. :D I do know of a family home evening that I went to once and it's one for single people, such as myself, and I can be prepared for anything that will be expected of me. Unfortunately, I have a messed up email that won't let me send one back to people most of the time, so I'll figure something out. I've yet to be sustained, so I don't know what my first duty is, but I'm very sure that Heavenly Father will be there with me 100%. Thanks very much.

22 hours ago, zil said:

Welcome, @Springtrapped!  Congratulations on your new calling.  Be sure to go and get set apart after you're sustained - many don't, but it makes a big difference!

I think the best things you can do are to keep your own faith strong, follow promptings of the Spirit, and help others come to Christ.

Thank you! I certainly will attend church, of course out of routine, but also to be set apart. I do my best to keep my faith strong and alive as well as listening to the Spirit as often as I can (although I make minor mistakes as a normal person), and I want others to feel the happiness that I feel in the gospel. My goal is to be a full-time missionary next year. :) 

Guest MormonGator

You know, your attitude about this is really inspiring. I'm 100% confident you will be an outstanding ward missionary, and even more fantastic in your future callings. 

On 8/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, MormonGator said:

You know, your attitude about this is really inspiring. I'm 100% confident you will be an outstanding ward missionary, and even more fantastic in your future callings. 

I appreciate it. I was sustained and set apart yesterday, and I was asked to do a talk about missionary work next month. Things are going great.

• 5 months later...

Does your ward have a great youth / scouting program / outdoor outtings?   It is some much easier to invite people to that.   Discuss with your Ward Mission Leader what are the best monthly activities in your ward. Some wards have a great ward mission plan that has lots of opportunities to share the gospel.   Google Ward Mission Plan.