Anti-GMO = Anti-science, anti-truth, pro-ignorance.

NeuroTypical

The more I understand my neighbor, the less I tend to harshly judge.  I can usually see why my facebook buddies who lean to different religions, politics, and social positions do so, and I can drum up a measure of respect for them, while still favoring my opinions.

I like this topic because it feels good to be on the right side of things, and the main reason people are on the wrong side, is a combination of ignorance and disinformation.  Honestly folks, there's basically zero good reasons to think organic anything is better, or GMO things are worse.  Here's the latest:  http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/gmo-and-dunning-kruger/

Yeah, if you are anti-GMO, you stand with folks who believe that fish genes in a tomato will make the tomato taste fishy.  Or believe that eating a GM tomato will change your genes permanently and be passed down to future generations.  You probably don't understand that 75-80% of packaged food contains GMO ingredients in the 1st world.  You likely don't know that if you're eating corn or sugar, of any kind, from any US food source, you're eating GMOs.  You've probably never heard that just about all cheese starts with GMO yeast.  

I get hesitance to blindly buy claims from climate-change environmentalists.  I get healthy skepticism of governments and big corporations.  I get how agendas make it into stuff pretending to be science.  But I don't get denying facts. Scientific illiteracy is not a Christian virtue.  The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.   Confirmation bias and motivated reasoning are important things to understand, and look for in ourselves.   I mean, I get how hard it can be to tell the difference between real science and propaganda intended to sell product.  But when the best of anti-GMO publishing appear on websites pushing product, it's less hard.  And when occam's razor, practical reality, and a decade of studies crash into the needs to feed the growing billions of humans on earth, the rational result is that we humans should use our God-given powers of reason and learning to genetically modify our foods to make them better.

Thank you for indulging me in my recurring self-righteous rant.  I'll just remind you that even though my motives are selfish, my facts are accurate and my conclusions sound, and leave it at that.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Well, if we're going to add to the list...

What do y'all think of MSG?

It's as staple as salt and pepper in the Philippines.  But yeah, has to be in moderation because I have tons of blood pressure and heart issues in my family tree.

Here's an interesting beer game (my dad works for a beer company).

You take 2 bottles of beer.  You put MSG in one bottle out of view of the contestants.  The contestants pick a bottle and drink all of it in one gulp upending the empty bottle over their head to signal completion.  The guy who drops under the table loses.

This is actually a beer game for poor people.  Game ends very quickly so you don't end up drinking too many bottles.  This is also a trick to get a drunk guy to shut up - put some msg in his drink and he'll be under the table in no time.  But yeah, you can overdo it and end up killing the guy!

Oh, please.

In other news, Bertha Mae Hunnycut is in the news again.  The previous invasion of her trailer park by rampaging aliens long ago has actually resulted in something wonderful.  Bertha Mae is announcing her engagement to Montortus Greegumptious, the leader of the Milky Way Galaxy galactic patrol.  They plan on taking their honeymoon at the Moonview Resort on the planet, Goffmimington.

Edited by Jojo Bags

2 hours ago, my two cents said:

It gives the hubs migraines so we avoid it.

Does he get migraines from eating pickles?  Pizza?  Mushrooms?  Artichokes? Potatoes (including chips)? Peas?  Tomatoes? Peas?  Many fruit juices? Parmesan Cheese?

If so, he is about one in 10,000 who are actually sensitive to MSG.  Have him take more vitamin B6.  He's deficient.

If not, then it's something else causing his headaches.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Well, if we're going to add to the list...

What do y'all think of MSG?

There have been no conclusive studies establishing real side effects of MSG as compared to a placebo.  We have a large bag of MSG and put it in/on almost every meal. I also have no problem with LFTB (Lean Finely Textured Beef - i.e. pink slime).

Edited by person0

20 minutes ago, person0 said:

There have been no conclusive studies establishing real side effects of MSG as compared to a placebo.  We have a large bag of MSG and put it in/on almost every meal.  I love MSG.  I also have no problem with LFTB (Lean Finely Textured Beef - i.e. pink slime).

Unfortunately, the company that made LFTB was put out of business due to ignorant protesters, muck-raking media, and a gullible populace.

I've been waiting for them to re-open with a different supply chain.  I haven't heard anything.

EDIT: I found this

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/abc-news-braces-57-billion-pink-slime-trial-heart-trump-country-1009269

Edited by Guest

@NeuroTypical,

I'm afraid you've opened up the entire realm of topics where Mrs. Carb and I have a strong disagreement.  She's bought into the conspiracy side of this hook, line, and sinker.  She wants to buy organic everything (which I agree to as long as we can afford it -- and I'm questioning if we can).  She is into essential oils.  She doesn't like the idea of GMOs.  She hates the fact that I have to put Accent on everything.  She's anti-vaccines.  I'm not completely for or against that one.

2 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

They plan on taking their honeymoon at the Moonview Resort on the planet, Goffmimington.

Hi Jojo!

Just FYI, I never did get a response from you on the question I asked the last time we discussed the subject.  Here it is again, in hopes that you'll respond. 

Please tell me which type of genetic modifications you think are not good, and why.

gmotechniques.jpg

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

She wants to buy organic everything (which I agree to as long as we can afford it -- and I'm questioning if we can).  

Well, I'm sure she's a saint among women, and I certainly mean her no disrespect.  If you lived in Colorado Springs I'd be happy to sell all y'all some eggs from our happy chickens, who are as genuinely cage-free/free-range/cruelty-free/all-natural/hormone-free as they can possibly get.

36 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Unfortunately, the company that made LFTB was put out of business due to ignorant protesters, muck-raking media, and a gullible populace.

I've been waiting for them to re-open with a different supply chain.  I haven't heard anything.

EDIT: I found this

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/abc-news-braces-57-billion-pink-slime-trial-heart-trump-country-1009269

I hope BTI wins!

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hi Jojo!

Just FYI, I never did get a response from you on the question I asked the last time we discussed the subject.  Here it is again, in hopes that you'll respond. 

Please tell me which type of genetic modifications you think are not good, and why.

When you can come up with a study that is not sponsored by Monsanto, the U.S. Government, or anyone with financial interests in big agriculture, I'll look at it.  I reject out of hand, any study that is funded by Monsanto or the government.  Both have serious financial interest in the studies and the researchers are more worried about their funding than the truth.  There is a quote from a Scifi author that is applicable in this case.  “The bigger the lie, apparently, the more likely the uninformed were to accept it, simply because they couldn't believe any government would tell such an absurd story unless it were true.”  ― David Weber, On Basilisk Station 

Anyone who believes that Monsanto or the government can produce an honest result might be interested in some really good bottom land I have just outside Death Valley.  I'll even sell it at a discount.

Edited by Jojo Bags

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

@NeuroTypical,

I'm afraid you've opened up the entire realm of topics where Mrs. Carb and I have a strong disagreement.  She's bought into the conspiracy side of this hook, line, and sinker.  She wants to buy organic everything (which I agree to as long as we can afford it -- and I'm questioning if we can).  She is into essential oils.  She doesn't like the idea of GMOs.  She hates the fact that I have to put Accent on everything.  She's anti-vaccines.  I'm not completely for or against that one.

She's missing out.  Accent is the red-headed step child.  Ajinomoto is da bom diggity! :bananarockon:

1 hour ago, Jojo Bags said:

When you can come up with a study that is not sponsored by Monsanto, the U.S. Government, or anyone with financial interests in big agriculture, I'll look at it.  I reject out of hand, any study that is funded by Monsanto or the government.

Do you have any double blind, peer reviewed tests that support your position?

Do the publishers have any financial interests?

BTW, you never answered or even addressed the question.  He didn't ask why you didn't accept the studies.  He asked what method s you accept and why.

Edited by Guest

When you can come up with a study that is not sponsored by Monsanto, the U.S. Government, or anyone with financial interests in big agriculture, I'll look at it.

Does the W.H.O. count?

The World Heath Organization has repeatedly weighed in on the safety of genetically engineered products, proclaiming, “No effects on human health have been shown as a result of the consumption of G.M. foods by the general population in the countries where they have been approved.” Britain’s Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine has come to the same conclusion: “Foods derived from G.M. crops have been consumed by hundreds of millions of people across the world for more than fifteen years with no reported ill effects (or legal cases related to human health) despite many of the consumers coming from that most litigious of countries the U.S.A.”

(The New Yorker)

I was also just thinking, have you considered that from a doctrinal perspective GMO plants also have spirits and are living entities?  With that in mind, is it not reasonable to believe that they were also planned/designed to come into existence by our Heavenly Father?

Edited by person0

When you can come up with a study that is not sponsored by Monsanto, the U.S. Government...

Ok then - you are unable or unwilling to answer.  Got it.

Honestly, I don't care if you believe if GMO is good or bad.  Believe whatever you wish.  It's just that we're here in a public forum, where people come to maybe look at both sides and make their mind up.  In the realm of "how come you believe what you believe", one side seems to hold all the cards and the other side has a bunch of suspicion about motives and no good points to make. 

I mean, if I'm off base, feel free to make a good point somewhere.   What's your gripe with genetically modifying food to be better?  Which method?  Why?

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I mean, if I'm off base, feel free to make a good point somewhere.   What's your gripe with genetically modifying food to be better?  Which method?  Why?

You make great points. Anti-GMO people might mean well (some certainly do) but they aren't really the "evidence" and "science" type. You just have nod your head and pass on. 

Edited by MormonGator

On 8/30/2017 at 0:57 PM, NeuroTypical said:

You've probably never heard that just about all cheese starts with GMO yeast.  

You're right. I've never heard that.  Nor do I believe it to be true. You may want to check that.