Meditations on oath-taking, swearing, profanity, cursing, and vulgarity

Vort

What is the difference between oath-taking, swearing, profanity, cursing, and vulgarity? Why are we supposed to avoid them? Why do they even exist? Is there an appropriate use for each (or any) of them?

In modern use, the terms are virtually synonyms. I think it's worth examining what each word actually means in isolation and how those meanings interact.

Oaths and swearing

An oath is a solemn or sacred promise. Swearing an oath means that you bind yourself under a solemn or sacred obligation to do something -- for example, to protect a person from harm, or to abstain from certain acts, or to speak the truth. Oaths are normally (but not always) accompanied by careful, solemn, legalistic language. A common example is a typical religious wedding ceremony of almost any faith or sect; the words spoken are precise, outlining the obligations and duties of each, and the participants are invited to enter into the oath, sometimes with ritualistic agreements such as "I do".

Perhaps the most commonly seen examples of oath-taking are TV and movie portrayals of "swearing in" at a court of law. I am not a lawyer, so I don't know what the actual wording used in court is -- perhaps it varies from state to state. But in entertainment media, we typically hear someone placed under an oath with careful words such as, "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" In older movies, this was done with the person's hand on a Bible. The overall effect is clear: "I promise to speak truthfully to the court, and invite the just retribution of God himself should I lie."

So oaths are taken with reference to some other thing, often external, usually sacred. You could swear an oath against almost anything, but typically the oath was taken against something considered sacred or important. An oath in ancient Israel might have been taken against the temple, or against the altar of the temple, or (in Jesus' example of the hypocrisy of the Pharisees' oath-taking) against the gift on the temple altar. A truly solemn oath might be sworn against one's own life (or head). Perhaps the most sacred and terrible oaths were those sword against the name of God himself -- or most terrible of all, against the life of God, the ultimate source of all life.

Thus we have a dramatic example of oath-taking from the Book of Mormon, wherein Nephi, a very young man, is struggling to hold an adult man (Zoram) against his will. Nephi's choices were (1) let Zoram return to Jerusalem, where he would certainly report Laban's apparent murder and thus bring the Jewish authorities after them; or (2) kill Zoram to protect his family. Nephi chose a third, most difficult, path: Convince Zoram to stay. How could Nephi accomplish this? By swearing the most solemn and terrible oath he could think of: "as the Lord liveth, and as I live, even so that if he would hearken unto our words, we would spare his life." And amazing though it might seem to us, this oath immediately produced the desired effect: Zoram relaxed, believing the words of this towering oath, and willingly united with the Lehite migration.

In the Church, we of course take solemn oaths when we attend the temple. Reflect on the precise, careful language when an oath is presented, and the solemnity we are told to exhibit when we accept each oath. This is the essence of oath-taking.

So then, why did Christ implore us to "swear not at all"? Coupled with the previously mentioned example of Christ excoriating the hypocrisy of the Pharisees for their corrupt oaths, it would appear that the Palestinian Jews of Jesus' time were in the habit of casually swearing oaths as a simple affirmation or intensification of their promises. Jesus took exception to the result that sacred oaths became a commonplace thing. (For a modern equivalent of Jesus' reasoning, consider why we normally use the term "Melchizedek Priesthood" instead of the more correct "Holy Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God" as a way to avoid making common God's name.) Jesus' teaching was: Don't expect an oath of others, or yourself, to tell the truth. Just tell the truth in plain language. Jesus appears to have been referring to this; certainly he was not obviating the appropriate use of sacred oaths, such as in temple rites.

Profanity

To profane something means that you make common something that should be kept sacred. Profanity is thus using divine names, terms, or actions as casual intensifiers. Casual oath-taking is, properly speaking, profanity. It includes both profaning the name of God and profaning intrinsically holy things (including acts, especially sexual acts). I consider profanity to be the most grievous example of what we commonly call "swearing".

Cursing

Cursing is wishing evil or destruction upon another by using words to that effect. This normally involves the explicit mention of the devil, his followers, his realm, or the condemnation of being sent there. Telling someone to "go to hell" is obviously a curse, as is most non-literal usage of the word "damn". This can become more casual and less intense and offensive, such as saying, "What the devil is he doing?", but it's still technically a curse. So in a sense, it's sort of the opposite of swearing; you are invoking an evil as an intensifier instead of something holy. If someone asks you if you want a punch in the nose, you can swear (perhaps profane) by saying, "Heavens, no!", or you can curse by saying, "Hell, no!" (Or you could follow Jesus' admonition and just say, "No".)

In common usage, swearing and cursing, especially when used as casual intensifiers, often lead to the same place and become almost synonymous. In modern British English, the noun "swears" is exactly this, encompassing both casual swearing and cursing -- though ironically, doesn't cover actual, meaningful swearing or oath-taking at all.

Vulgarity

Vulgar literally means "common" or "low", in the sense of "the low people" or "the commoners". Church Latin, the official language of Roman Catholicism, is often called "Vulgar Latin". Jerome's famous and important translation of the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into the common language of his time (Vulgar Latin) is even called The Vulgate.

(The reason for this variation of dialect is because the Latin of the Catholic Church is the Latin that was spoken by the common people of the Italian peninsula around AD 400. The difference between Vulgar Latin and Classical Latin is pretty obvious, even to the casual ear. For example, in a meeting of the Roman Senate, the consul Cicero would have been called KEE-keh-roh, but in the suburbs and distant places of the Roman Empire, would more likely have been called CHEE-cheh-roh.)

In everyday speech, vulgar means crude or unrefined speech, such as is used by the uneducated and uncouth. Such vulgarity commonly focuses on body parts and body functions, especially as related to sex, urination, and defecation, and so is inherently degrading to human beings. Vulgarity is thus often profanity, and simultaneously similar to cursing in its degradation.

Dante used the term merda (the s-word in English) several times in the first book of his so-called Divine Comedy, entitled Inferno (meaning "Hell"). When asked about including such vulgarity in a religiously themed book, Dante responded something like, "When I talk about Hell, I use the vocabulary of Hell." So according to a masterful Italian religious author of the late medieval period, there is an appropriate use of vulgarity. In my own opinion, I think it is very rare -- like, never -- when the Spirit would approve of vulgarity. We are to be above such things.

Concluding thoughts

In an increasingly profane world, our speech is becoming corrupted by foul language. Many non-English speakers nevertheless recognize the ugly "F-word", often one of the few English words they know. This widespread use of casual profanity leaves a spiritual mark on us.

Why spiritual? Because language is our interface with the rest of the world, how we take what exists inside our cranium and make it knowable to those who aren't inside our cranium -- and more importantly, how we contextualize the universe outside ourselves and bring it into our own consciousness. Short of direct spiritual communication, language is our best, and often our only, means of interaction between our core selves and the rest of the universe. Appropriate oath-taking is important for the human spirit as a way to mark off meaningful promises from common, everyday interactions. Profanity, cursing, and general vulgarity violate this precept, destroy the special and sacred nature of an oath, and tend to tear us down, not edify us.

After we have once incorporated patterns of casual swearing, profanity, cursing, and vulgarity into our lexicon, it can be difficult to uproot them. But we are well-advised to take the effort to root out such unworthy expressions from our speech. In the end, I think avoiding and cleansing ourselves of such linguistic filth pays great dividends.

Edited by Vort
Typos and clarifications

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Grunt said:

I dropped an eff bomb on a service project today.  I don't think anyone heard me, but is it possible to be excommunicated before you're baptized?

If they excommunicate for swearing, I'll be right with you. 

9 hours ago, Jojo Bags said:

If you use your native language the way it is meant, using proper grammar, you won't have any of these problems.

Yeah, lack of proper vocabulary is the only reason people cuss.<_<

I will freely admit I sometimes curse, though not as much as I used to.  It is not a good thing and I am not going to try and justify it, it is a weakness.  But I do have some insights as to why I curse.

Why do I curse?

Usually I curse as a release when I am enraged.  I go where no one can hear me and curse out whatever made me enraged.  This is important - I generally do not curse where others can hear me.

What makes me enraged, as opposed to angry?  Usually two things make me enraged: 1) hostile, confrontational strangers (I may get somewhat annoyed, but not enraged, with friends and family and virtually anyone I like at all, and there has to be a very pronounced element of hostility coming from the stranger to actually make me enraged), and 2) stories in the news where someone does something horrible to someone else.

I think my occasional cursing problem stems from not having the best skills when coping with anger and using cursing as a crutch and release for anger.  It isn't right and it is something I need to work on.  But, being fully honest and introspective with myself, that is why I sometimes curse.

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest LiterateParakeet

There was a time, not to long ago, when I found swearing very useful. I had a great deal of rage that needed an outlet. Swearing provided that, and it was better than hitting something or yelling at my kids.  

Now I am feeling better, I no longer have a need to use strong language. Surely I'm not the only one picturing Mel Gibson on Signs running and yelling, "I'm very angry right now." :)

You may now commence telling me how I'm going to hell, LOL.

I've tried really hard throughout my life to not swear or be vulgar. I admit that as a teenager I did on occasion let a few cuss words escape. And, also during my teenage years I found myself swearing in my head, just not out loud. I asked myself back then, "what kind of hypocrit was I, if I was swearing in my head?"  It wasn't what I wanted, so I began to make a make a big effort to avoid any swearing, even in my head. It has worked. Now days, if I overhear any swear words, vulgarity, taking the Lord's name in vain, I cringe inside. I don't want to hear it.

I just wish I could get my adult daughter to stop swearing. I've tried to be an example and not condemn her choices, but, it hurts my spirit to hear some of the words that flow from her mouth. 

My struggle is to quit using the replacement words.  IMO, the principle is the same - thinking about what you say before you say it; not reacting, but acting; having sufficient respect and charity that the "need" for "venting" is suppressed before it's ever expressed.  Check in with me in a few hundred years and I'll let you know how that's going.

In Australia, most states have some sort of laws that make it illegal to use offensive language in public. I was listening to an interesting radio broadcast the other day that discussed recent judicial trends in the interpretation of these laws and it was evident that magistrates are taking a more tolerant view than they used to in previous years, and that instances of public profanity which in the past would have led to a fine are now being let go.

6 hours ago, zil said:

My struggle is to quit using the replacement words.  IMO, the principle is the same - thinking about what you say before you say it; not reacting, but acting; having sufficient respect and charity that the "need" for "venting" is suppressed before it's ever expressed.  Check in with me in a few hundred years and I'll let you know how that's going.

So if you hit your shin bone on the coffee table (sorry for the bad word), you try your darndest (sorry again) to not say "fetch"?

M.

Edited by Maureen

10 minutes ago, Maureen said:

So if you hit your shin bone on the coffee table (sorry for the bad word), you try your darndest (sorry again) to not say "fetch"?

M.

Fortunately, I've never been tempted to use the word "fetch" unless throwing something I want a dog to go get and bring back. :)

Also, I don't have a coffee table. In other Mormon homes, I'm sure it would be a hot chocolate table.  In my home, it would more likely be the Postum table, but it's not in a convenient location for that.  Nope, in my house, I have a "stack of books and papers table". ;)

Oddly, I tend to say "ow" when I experience minor pains such as you describe.  Nope, my replacement terms are reserved for when others would be seriously cussing.

Edited by zil

I use to think our language indicates who we are but I have come to understand that our language more accurately indicates our culture and upbringing.   I was raised in a home without profanity and vulgar language.  I use to think profanity and vulgar language was the sign of evil and someone that disrespects G-d.  I have come to understand this is really a form of culture prejudice.  The problem for me is that even with this understanding I still do want to be a part of a culture that uses such language.

The reality seems to me that most people that use profanity and vulgar language (swearing) really do not intend to communicate the literal or precise meaning of the words they use but rather intend something symbolic.  But I do not understand what they mean or intend to communicate with their symbolism.  Sometimes I feel that what they are symbolizing is as bad as or worse than the literal meaning of their words.

Shakespeare said something like – “To thine own self be true and it shall follow as the night the day.  Thou cannot be false to any man.”  I have come to love this concept.  I believe it summarizes the essence of honest language and the folly of language intended to disrespect others that in essence disrespects one’s self.

The Traveler

31 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Shakespeare said something like – “To thine own self be true and it shall follow as the night the day.  Thou cannot be false to any man.” 

Wonderful words indeed, from the prototype of the masterful wordsmith. Ironic, then, in whose mouth Shakespeare put these words.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I use to think our language indicates who we are but I have come to understand that our language more accurately indicates our culture and upbringing. . . . I use to think profanity and vulgar language was the sign of evil and someone that disrespects G-d.  I have come to understand this is really a form of culture prejudice. . . .

The reality seems to me that most people that use profanity and vulgar language (swearing) really do not intend to communicate the literal or precise meaning of the words they use but rather intend something symbolic.  . . . Sometimes I feel that what they are symbolizing is as bad as or worse than the literal meaning of their words.

Love this. I think you nailed it. For me, when I swore to give an outlet to my inner rage, it was symbolic of something far worse than the words. Something I needed to get outside of me. It helped. I imagine that is hard to understand for some, but there it is.  Thanks for putting it into words. 

I think it varies for different people. For example, I have heard old recordings of J. Golden Kimball. When he swore, he didn't appear to be angry at all, more playful actually. I think that was definitely an expression of culture not evil. :)  

2 hours ago, Vort said:
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Shakespeare said something like – “To thine own self be true and it shall follow as the night the day.  Thou cannot be false to any man.”

Wonderful words indeed, from the prototype of the masterful wordsmith. Ironic, then, in whose mouth Shakespeare put these words.

As I remember, they seemed to mean something a little different in context. Like put your interests first in everything you do.

Guest MormonGator
25 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

As I remember, they seemed to mean something a little different in context. Like put your interests first in everything you do.

It's part of the advice Polonius gives to Laertes in Hamlet, right? Doing this from memory here. 

In my house, substitution words are still cursing/profane/vulgar/name-calling/whatever-it-is-substituting for.  Just because you said "You're so cupid" doesn't change the meaning when you simply substituted "cupid" for "stupid" meaning the exact same thing.  The common refrain is, "Don't substitute words, change your thoughts".  This is necessary because words such as "milk" or "cholera" are curse words in my language and so my kids can use them and not get in trouble in church/school/etc.

Anyway, I added the words, "like" and "literally", to the list of vulgar words.  My family can only use those in their proper context or they get called out.  When I hear a talk in Sacrament Meeting and the speaker is saying "Like" every 5 words or so, I zone out because it makes it very hard for me to keep the Spirit present in my soul.  In my observation, the speaker uses "Like" a lot when he is doing some kind of improv on the stand and shifts to more formal language when he starts going over the meat of his talk.  And that's another thing that makes me zone out - doing stand-up comedy while giving a talk.  This one irritates me.  There are ways to add light-heartedness in the talk without make it a stand-up comedy.  President Monson is very good at this.  Light-heartedness should still maintain reverence in Sacrament Meeting