Dealing with Biases

prisonchaplain

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said we should look to others based on the character not their characteristics. He mentioned race, but would likely include ideology and religion. Today some conservatives look askance at Muslims, wondering if there are terrorist tendencies. Some liberals question whether political nominees who are Evangelical or Catholic can fulfill their duties objectively. Some conservatives question whether the Hispanic person they encounter is here legally or not. Some liberals question whether the white person they are speaking to is racist or not. Some trust law enforcement mostly and others mostly believe their critics. What can I do about my biases? Slow down. Believe that God knows our hearts and will accomplish justice in the end. Then, remember daily that I never encounter a mere mortal human being. We are all created in God's image.

Are wonder how many moms and dads here are grappling with the stories children are bringing home. My oldest is so frustrated, saying that with high school it's all about race. "What about grades? Shouldn't they be considered?" identity politics and interesectionality allow politicians and academics to keep us divided, angry, and looking to them for answers. 

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, prisonchaplain said:

Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said we should look to others based on the character not their characteristics. He mentioned race, but would likely include ideology and religion. Today some conservatives look askance at Muslims, wondering if there are terrorist tendencies. Some liberals question whether political nominees who are Evangelical or Catholic can fulfill their duties objectively. Some conservatives question whether the Hispanic person they encounter is here legally or not. Some liberals question whether the white person they are speaking to is racist or not. Some trust law enforcement mostly and others mostly believe their critics. What can I do about my biases? Slow down. Believe that God knows our hearts and will accomplish justice in the end. Then, remember daily that I never encounter a mere mortal human being. We are all created in God's image.

The problem is that:

Believe that God knows our hearts and will accomplish justice in the end. Then, remember daily that I never encounter a mere mortal human being. We are all created in God's image.

is a bias that you are talking about.  Some say the worse bias or prejudice is when we believe our bias is better than that of others.  But why speak of our values and bias if we do not believe they are better?  I think there is much more to consider.  But why consider something one is unwilling to accept?  I believe the pursuit of truth is just that.  If we are not in the pursuit of truth and willing to accept it; then that is what I believe to be dishonest -- To pretend we listen to others but have no intent to accept their truth if it is different than our own.  Or as Paul said - "Prove all things and hold fast to that which is true."

The Traveler