Not really a joke but a bit of fun

ElMattio91

So i was wondering if you guys have ever had an embarrassing moment at church?

Back when I was investigating, I went to my first sacrament meeting with my elders. On that day they had one of the sister missionaries play a piece on the piano, and after she had finished I started to clap (blissfully unaware that we don't really do that in church)  a few people just turned and looked at me, and pretty sure I heard a few sniggers coming from somewhere <_< then one of the elders nudged me as if to say "dude, no!" 

I know that isn't really too bad but just thought id start off the thread haha :)

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Everyone who has never had their cell phone ring / alert / or whatever during church, please raise your hands... :itwasntme:

Oh I've been there... also, during YSA one time I was reading a scripture from the gospel library app and (I still don't know how this happened) I accidentally pressed something and the voice started reading it too. I was panicking trying to shut it off but I didn't know how :lol:

My scriptures (AKA the Gospel Library) once crashed while I was giving a SS lesson.  Fortunately, I knew what scripture I was about to have read next, so I asked for a volunteer to read, "because my scriptures just crashed, and it'll take a minute for them to reboot" - it was pretty early in the GL days, so I got a good laugh out of it. :D (After that, I started bringing paper printouts of talks as a backup - a lesson is one thing, but that would be really bad in the middle of a talk.)

1 hour ago, zil said:

My scriptures (AKA the Gospel Library) once crashed while I was giving a SS lesson.  Fortunately, I knew what scripture I was about to have read next, so I asked for a volunteer to read, "because my scriptures just crashed, and it'll take a minute for them to reboot" - it was pretty early in the GL days, so I got a good laugh out of it. :D (After that, I started bringing paper printouts of talks as a backup - a lesson is one thing, but that would be really bad in the middle of a talk.)

Oh gosh that sounds awkward haha at least people could laugh about it though!

30 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

I was in the middle of Confirming my Son when the Bishop's cell phone went off... 

This totally explains your avatar. ;)

PS: Now that we have options other than "like", are you going to expand your refusal to "like" to a refusal to "respond", or are you going to start responding?  Inquiring minds want to know...

When I was a non Mormon, I honestly thought that home teaching and visiting teaching was always done at the end of the month. I was living with a Mormon lady and I answered the door to find her visiting teachers. Oh I said, I didn't realize it was the end of the month! The visiting teacher turned bright red. The date was the 31st! 

Well, we were in a correlation meeting and I didn't have my cellphone silenced.  The first counselor sent me a text with some information, and my phone started to have it's text ring go off (I have it as a longer ring along with calls being a longer ring so I don't miss it).  Everyone looked at me, and the first counselor said...ooops, though you had it silenced...that's me...

My home teacher was bemoaning that his hometown was going downhill...Cardston Alberta.

Oh, I asked, People moving into town? I was picturing hippies, drug users etc. Canada is legalizing pot soon so...

Yes, he said wearily, you should see church these days.

Wow, I thought, the hippies are coming to church?

Yes, he said, So people are moving to Cardston to be near the temple. At church, you can barely get a seat! We have filled the building with chairs. You can't get a seat! And there are tons of people I don't know!

Ah, the real problem! People I don't know in my church. Mormon problems. The shock that occurs when small town people have to deal with people they don't know!

3 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

My home teacher was bemoaning that his hometown was going downhill...Cardston Alberta.

Oh, I asked, People moving into town? I was picturing hippies, drug users etc. Canada is legalizing pot soon so...

Yes, he said wearily, you should see church these days.

Wow, I thought, the hippies are coming to church?

Yes, he said, So people are moving to Cardston to be near the temple. At church, you can barely get a seat! We have filled the building with chairs. You can't get a seat! And there are tons of people I don't know!

Ah, the real problem! People I don't know in my church. Mormon problems. The shock that occurs when small town people have to deal with people they don't know!

:huh:

• 2 months later...
On September 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM, ElMattio91 said:

Oh I've been there... also, during YSA one time I was reading a scripture from the gospel library app and (I still don't know how this happened) I accidentally pressed something and the voice started reading it too. I was panicking trying to shut it off but I didn't know how :lol:

Something similar happened to me the last time I gave a talk. I pulled up the talk I wanted to quote from, and it started playing the audio! Thankfully I was able to quickly silence it. Now I make sure my volume is muted when I bring my iPad to church.

Also, a story that isn't all mine, but I was there, so I'll tell it.

One of my good friends ("Carl") really liked my sister, so he would hang out with us and the guy I was kind of dating ("Gavin"). Carl always wears a beard and a baseball cap. Always. (Except for formal ocassions.) I used to tease him that I could tell when he got a new girlfriend because he would show up to work clean shaven. (Girls would always swoon and say, "I want to see what you look like without your beard!") Anyway, after a few months, my sister talked him into coming to church with us. Since our ward met backwards (sacrament meeting last), my sister and I walked him down the hallway to where they held Priesthood. Just outside the doorway, Gavin was standing with the EQ President and the 1st counselor in the bishopric. Of course, Carl had removed his beard and baseball cap before coming to church. 

Gavin looks up, sees all of us walking down the hall, and blurts out, "You look funny!"

Which, to be fair, is the typical reaction to seeing Carl without a beard and baseball cap.

When I first came to church, I wore an inappropriate blouse. In my defence by Protestant standards, the blouse was fine. I realized after awhile that no one else was dressed this way, so during a hymn, behind the hymn book, I stated adjusting the blouse upward. After the hymn, I could see the men on the stand visibly relax and look relieved! 

Today the primary chorister was on his honeymoon.  The primary president asked me to fill in.

The music chair really has nothing to do with Primary music.  So, I had no idea what I was getting into.  They had actually expected me to do the entire music program for the day.  Hmm...  Never heard that was the primary chorister's job.  But ok.  I'll wing it.

I scrambled through the primary song book and picked a nice opening song.  The pianist played.  None of the kids knew the song.  We just went with it anyway.

Then someone had a birthday.  So, we sang the birthday song.  I'd never heard this one before.  It had a lot of syncopation that I was not prepared for especially when the beat was 120.  So, I looked like a fool.

Then I had to get them to practice the Christmas songs they are to sing next week.  Only three kids knew one song.  No one knew the other song at all.  As I was trying to go over the songs, the kids just weren't paying attention.  I also found that my 6 y.o. was one of the main trouble-makers.  So, I pulled him away from the other boys causing the biggest interruption.  I separated the remaining boys.  And I pushed forward.

Afterward, I thought I never felt so helpless with music in my life.  Then the pianist mentioned that this was the best they've ever seen the kids behave in years.

Whaah-huhh???