Being Offended Is A Choice We Make

susieSA

<div class='quotemain'>

Being offensive is also a choice we make.

not always there are times we are blissfully unaware i have offended someone. Its something that can be so innocently and unintentionally done

-Charley

Sorry... I thought that was understood. I'm saying that it's not right when we purposefully offend. We, as a people, need to be kinder... myself included. My mom is offended if I say the sky is blue. I'm not talking about that kind of offense. I'm talking about being ugly to someone.

I agree shan. It's also wrong to murder someone, but that's not what this thread is about.

Am I totally on another plane today or something? This thread is about how if we are offended, we choose to be. My saying that we should also choose not to offend is absolutely related to this discussion.

Just a simple observation I was making.

Shan,

Perhaps the jason chose to be a little offended. Wait, let me stop sounding so prideful and accusative.

Anyone know the origin of: 'Seek first to understand, and only then to be understood.'? I think that is a big part of chosing whether or not to be offended AND/OR to be offensive.

-a-train

I totally agree Shan.

I just took this to mean that those who not care if they hurt others, or look for opportunities to hurt another, and vaunt themselves.

I am going to be bold, but those who act without regard or caring for their brothers and sisters feelings, and hold their own well being above others( in which they are willing to degrade another for their own benefit) and feel no remorse, are not Christians. They might be on paper, they might have confessed his name at one point, they might read the scriptures daily, they might even hold positions of power, but they are acting exactly like the pharisees of old, wolves in sheep's clothing.

Devils quote scripture, devils confess Christ's name. They are indeed a generation of vipers. Poison dripping from their mouths.

That's so untrue.

Unlike being offended, which only I (or anyone) can decide to be - being offensive is something over which no control is possible. Other's compel me (or anyone to be obnoxious). It is outside the sphere of one's control.

I am going to be bold, but those who act without regard or caring for their brothers and sisters feelings, and hold their own well being above others( in which they are willing to degrade another for their own benefit) and feel no remorse, are not Christians. They might be on paper, they might have confessed his name at one point, they might read the scriptures daily, they might even hold positions of power, but they are acting exactly like the pharisees of old, wolves in sheep's clothing.

Devils quote scripture, devils confess Christ's name. They are indeed a generation of vipers. Poison dripping from their mouths.

Vipers? Poison dripping from their mouths?

Isn't it hypocritical to complain about other's being offensive when you call them poisoness devils and vipers who aren't Christians? Why yes - yes it is, besides being so over-the-top that it's a self-rigtheos parody.

Essentially I think it boils down to a some folks being hypersensitive ninnies who's sense of self-worth flows from what other people think about them.

When I think of being offended and being offensive, I put it into the parable of movie theaters. First of all, we are drawn to a movie by advertising which is usually weeks or months before the release of a popular movie. We start preparing to see the movie by setting a time when everyone is available to go, putting money aside, and start getting routine chores done ahead of time. One the day of the movie, everyone knows that we are going to see the 2:00 p.m. show. By 10:00 a.m. everyone is getting dressed and collecting their belongings for the outing. By noon, all are seated in the vehicle and going to eat a light lunch before the movie. By 1:30 p.m., the tickets have been paid and everyone has been to the restroom and got a drink of water and are now seated in the theater watching the pre-show advertisements. Then we are enjoying a good movie.

WRONG: The last minute people are looking for seats just as the movie starts playing and of course standing in front of us trying to decide who is going to sit beside who. The people sitting behind us have seen the movie before and keep talking about the next scene giving away any unexpected events. People sitting up front sing along with all the sound tracks while clapping or waving their arms in the air. At least 1 in 10 people are going to and go from the concession stand during the movie and at least half of them will spill food and beverages.

If we had not been offended, and to say that we were not is an all time lie, there would be no home movie systems like VHS and DVD. Many people just wait a few months and watch the movie at home. Buy it or rent the movie? You can order it online, rent it online, or go to the store and buy/rent it.

And those people who show up at your house unexpectedly when you are watching the movie, talk all the way through, laugh and make jokes during the non-action/talking parts, and want to play video games during the movie, oh, those are your friends. Just turn off the movie and visit with them maybe their up to shooting some basketball hoops or go on a dog walk with you. Best of all you can blame them for procrastinating stuff you didn’t want to do. I guess that we do choose to be offended after all.

Isn't it hypocritical to complain about other's being offensive when you call them poisoness devils and vipers who aren't Christians? Why yes - yes it is, besides being so over-the-top that it's a self-rigtheos parody.

Sorry if I have offended, or hurt you Snow. It was not my intent.

Although sometimes my wording is a bit silly, the message is not. I said nothing that the prophets have not said for 1000's of years. I was merely paraphrasing in a not so eloquent manner.

Take it for what it's worth.

Sorry if I have offended, or hurt you Snow. It was not my intent.

Although sometimes my wording is a bit silly, the message is not. I said nothing that the prophets have not said for 1000's of years. I was merely paraphrasing in a not so eloquent manner.

Take it for what it's worth.

I'm not offended in the slightest. I am simply pointing out that complaining about people that complain about people is hypocritical, and self-righteous.

Don't be coy - who are these poisoness vipers and devils of whom you speak?

Personally, I don't care what people think about me . . .

...so long as they keep those thoughts to themselves. :-)

Darn I was going to tell you just exactly what I thought of you. Now I guess I have to keep it to myself.

:P

I'm not offended in the slightest. I am simply pointing out that complaining about people that complain about people is hypocritical, and self-righteous.

So what is complaining about a person who is complaining?

Could that be hypocritical also? "Yes, yes it is!"...

You probably don't think you were complain about my complaining, just "pointing out". Well, neither do I think I was complaining. LOL

Why do you think you know a some of them? We both live in California. You might. LOL!

If you think I was referring to people on this site, I don't know anyone enough here to even have an opinion. Plus, i know that written word is most often misinterpreted. Mine is often. shrug...So I never worry about how people come off here. I just think that I am probably reading them wrong.

You probably don't think you were complain about my complaining, just "pointing out". Well, neither do I think I was complaining. LOL

Of course I was complaining - I'm the resident complainer here.

Why do you think you know a some of them? We both live in California. You might. LOL!

Oh - I didn't see that. I'm in Huntington Beach - moving this week about about 1/2 mile away still in Huntington Beach. Where in LA do you live?

still in Huntington Beach.

I went to Huntington Beach High School for one semester in 1973. I actually had already graduated in January '73 from LaQuinta High School in Westminster, but was in a foster home with a teacher who taught at HBHS. So she used her clout to have me enrolled so I'd have something to do during the days.

I really enjoyed it because I was essentially auditing fluff classes where little homework was required anyway. The only one I remember well was a mass media course where we watched classic movies the entire semester, such as Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and my favorite at the time, The Time Machine. The Morlocks scared the heck out of me until it was revealed they were being used and oppressed by the Eloi. Maybe this was the beginning of my constant concern for the underdog. :P

I also remember how incredibly gorgeous the HBHS campus was.

I realize living in HB does not automatically mean your children will attend HBHS. I was just reminiscing. I could go on and tell of my tales at the Huntington Beach, near the pier . . . but I won't bore anyone with those memories. Actually, they weren't boring at all. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. B)

Elphaba

<div class='quotemain'>still in Huntington Beach.

I went to Huntington Beach High School for one semester in 1973. I actually had already graduated in January '73 from LaQuinta High School in Westminster, but was in a foster home with a teacher who taught at HBHS. So she used her clout to have me enrolled so I'd have something to do during the days.

I really enjoyed it because I was essentially auditing fluff classes where little homework was required anyway. The only one I remember well was a mass media course where we watched classic movies the entire semester, such as Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and my favorite at the time, The Time Machine. The Morlocks scared the heck out of me until it was revealed they were being used and oppressed by the Eloi. Maybe this was the beginning of my constant concern for the underdog. :P

I also remember how incredibly gorgeous the HBHS campus was.

I realize living in HB does not automatically mean your children will attend HBHS. I was just reminiscing. I could go on and tell of my tales at the Huntington Beach, near the pier . . . but I won't bore anyone with those memories. Actually, they weren't boring at all. It was a lot of fun while it lasted. B)

Elphaba

I've spent a lot of time in the HB High Auditorium. The school is outside our district but my oldest daughter went there because they have an Arts magnet program and she is a dancer.

The school, especially the auditorium, probably looks just like it did when you were there.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/t...SAuditorium.jpg