Hell has frozen over

pam

14 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Grunt, try rice "coffee"!  You can make it yourself using plain white rice.  Roast the rice until it turns dark brown.  It takes about 5 minutes or so.  It will produce tons of smoke that could set off the fire alarms and the whole kitchen will smell burnt so it's better to do this in an outdoor kitchen/grill or over a campfire.  Grind the roasted rice like you would regular coffee bean, put in a coffee filter and pour hot water.  It's a "poor man's coffee" in the Philippines because rice is a whole lot cheaper than coffee beans.  Of course, the poor people in the Philippines don't have coffee grinders or coffee filters so they just do it like this:

Wish they made it for my Keurig.

13 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Wish they made it for my Keurig.

You can put it in a Keurig using the k-cup.  Hmm... that would be interesting actually... get some rice coffee in a k-cup, wait for the missionaries to come over, brew a fresh one right infront of them and get them to drink it. :D

Edited by anatess2

22 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You can put it in a Keurig using the k-cup.  Hmm... that would be interesting actually... get some rice coffee in a k-cup, wait for the missionaries to come over, brew a fresh one right infront of them and get them to drink it. :D

:eek: Shame on you! :lol:  I suspect half the people at work think I drink coffee because I frequently make myself a mug of Postum.  I'm thinking about buying a Postum mug to see if that clears things up:

300_mug.jpg

...or maybe the thermos:

300_thermos.jpg

@Grunt, you could always try coffee-flavored Postum:

300_coffee.jpg

https://postum.com/product/postum-coffee-flavor/

:yuck: (never tried it, that's a predictive emoticon)

18 minutes ago, zil said:

:eek: Shame on you! :lol:  I suspect half the people at work think I drink coffee because I frequently make myself a mug of Postum.  I'm thinking about buying a Postum mug to see if that clears things up:

300_mug.jpg

...or maybe the thermos:

300_thermos.jpg

@Grunt, you could always try coffee-flavored Postum:

300_coffee.jpg

https://postum.com/product/postum-coffee-flavor/

:yuck: (never tried it, that's a predictive emoticon)

I bet people of all religious backgrounds or none at all will be shocked!  YOU'RE DRINKING POSSUM???  EEEWWWW!

Now Let us rejoice in the day of caffeination.
No longer as zombies on earth need we roam. 
Buzzed tidings are sounding to us in Y nation,
And shortly the hour of caffeination will come,
When all that was promised the Saints will be given,
And none will caffeine free them from morn until ev’n,
And the Y will be woke as the Garden of Eden,
And Dr. Pepper, Coke, Dew and Pepsi will finally, “Come home.”

• pam featured this topic
1 minute ago, zil said:

Right, the quick way to raise $35 million. :rolleyes:

The attention this whole BYU selling caffeinated soda things has gotten, I give it a week to raise the money. :P

2 minutes ago, pam said:

The attention this whole BYU selling caffeinated soda things has gotten, I give it a week to raise the money. :P

Yeah, they just have to get Coke and Pepsi into a bidding war for who gets to paint their logo on the sides of all the dorms....

Then we can all go to the LaCoke Edwards Stadium and watch the Stadium of Caffeinated Fire show...

19 hours ago, Grunt said:

Why is this a big deal?  Why was it originally banned?

I haven't read through all the posts so this may have already have been mentioned. Back in the 70s when I was first introduced to Mormonism the culture was that caffeine was bad and should not be consumed. The slogan or catchphrase at the time for youth or young adults was "Lips that touch Coke, will never touch mine." As the years went by this attitude changed. When my SIL went to BYU in the 80s students there seemed less bothered by consuming Coke than those 10 years earlier. Decades later discussion about caffeine in Mormon culture is alive and well.

M.

Just now, Maureen said:

I haven't read through all the posts so this may have already have been mentioned. Back in the 70s when I was first introduced to Mormonism the culture was that caffeine was bad and should not be consumed. The slogan or catchphrase at the time for youth or young adults was "Lips that touch Coke, will never touch mine." As the years went by this attitude changed. When my SIL went to BYU in the 80s students there seemed less bothered by consuming Coke than those 10 years earlier. Decades later discussion about caffeine in Mormon culture is alive and well.

M.

Many people just can't get it out of their head that the restriction on coffee isn't due to the caffeine.  So it continues to be carried over to sodas as well.

4 minutes ago, Maureen said:

M.

Also growing up in the Church, I never heard this about Coke.  I did hear it about alcohol however.  "Lips that touch alcohol, will never touch mine."

29 minutes ago, pam said:

Many people just can't get it out of their head that the restriction on coffee isn't due to the caffeine.  So it continues to be carried over to sodas as well.

That's right, the whole idea about caffeine came from coffee and tea. And poor tea had that false accusation of containing tannic acid, but of course it is actually tannins which are quite harmless; cranberries, walnuts and other food items also contain tannins.

M.

1 minute ago, Maureen said:

That's right, the whole idea about caffeine came from coffee and tea. And poor tea had that false accusation of containing tannic acid, but of course it is actually tannins which are quite harmless; cranberries, walnuts and other food items also contain tannins.

M.

I don't ever recall being given a reason why they are restricted, just that they are.  It's people that have put their spin on things and reasonings.

1 minute ago, Grunt said:

I finally just came to this level of "not understanding".  Some things I've just stopped trying to reason and either accepted or not.

I think many things are a test that our Heavenly Father has put in front of us.  Will we follow or do we have to have constant explanations.  I'm not talking about following blindly, but sometimes we just have to put our faith in God that the things that come from Him are for a good reason.  Whether we understand or know the reason why at the time.

In my experience, some things can be explained in ways that make sense to you.  (This doesn't guarantee that they're easy to follow, only that you can see reasoning behind them.)  Sometimes understanding comes only after doing - sometimes doing for a long time.  Some understanding comes not in words or reason, but just as a feeling of certainty that it's right or makes sense, even though you can't use words to explain it.  And other times, you just have to trust (based on your other experiences and understanding), that understanding will come one day, even if it's after death, and in the meantime, you choose to trust.

I have found that my brain is a great deal smarter than I am. I will hear poems in dreams sometimes that just amaze me. Of course, part of that is that when you're asleep, your sense of amazement is very pliable. But I have remembered some of the rhymes and connections and thought, "I could never come up with that."

We don't even know what we know. Our understanding can go far deeper than our conscious realization. I believe God wants us to cultivate this. Much of living by the Spirit is cultivating this ability to see beyond what's around us and understand more deeply than our knowledge alone takes us.

This reminds me of something in a Nibley book (not gonna go find it) about scientists who were finding that things appear when observed, but aren't there when not observed (one of those atomic particle tests or something).  Anywho, the conclusion was (probably morphed a bit by me) that the world thinks seeing is believing, but for God, believing is seeing.  This was (and is at this moment) a very powerful thought to me - that it is the definition of faith - that the power of God is to make real what he believes.

• pam locked this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic