Hell has frozen over

pam

I am in posession of a Lamy Joy for well over 18 years now and it still writes. I also do like my lamy AL-star in silver. I have now moved away from disposable cartridges as I noticed that convertible cartridges and ink bottles last me longer and are sustainable for the environment

8 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

just look at you, three and a half people ganging up on me, because I have very different opinion and attitude about things and people. why don´t you bring some more, to draft an army of self righteous people to act against a disagreeing deviant ?

So -- call Utans Utahrds, then use their (and other's) indignation as proof that you're right.

Well...that's settled then.

12 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

well go ahead and shower the deviants with more disfavor and riducule, it certainly "helps" to get them to see your point of view. 

I'm confused how anyone can fail to understand that name-calling and condescension towards an entire group of people is a bad idea. How is it that an effort even needs to be made to get anyone to see this point of view?

Moreover, how is it that the one calling others something-tards get to claim being ridiculed?

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

So -- call Utans Utahrds, then use their (and other's) indignation as proof that you're right.

Well...that's settled then.

I'm confused how anyone can fail to understand that name-calling and condescension towards an entire group of people is a bad idea. How is it that an effort even needs to be made to get anyone to see this point of view?

Moreover, how is it that the one calling others something-tards get to claim being ridiculed?

well, I never claimed to be right about anything. that for one. and for another, I am sure you could call me a name and it wouldnt phase me much. because ultimately, you can only elect to be insulted. I believe even someone of the quorum of the twelve said that as well. 

good day and good way

7 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I totally agree!  I adore LAMY. I have the Safari and the Al star. Great pens! 

So you love pens too? What's your favorite LAMY?  

hand writing is something I reserve for dear and important people. handwritten letters convey personal bonds and emotion and the time it takes speaks volumes in dedication and attention. 

You should try the joy, it adds elegance if you are capable of cursive

9 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Cool, thanks!  I have a friend that has a really nice Waterman. It writes like a dream. 

I really like that one (it's my first).  And vintage Watermans have a great reputation (new ones vary).

9 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Oh no, another person to feed @zils unhealthy addiction with pens. We must stop this! We need an intervention! Don't enable her! 

:P

Good luck with that. ;)

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, zil said:

Good luck with that. ;)

:: snickers :: your obsession with fountain  pens is like my obsession with making soap. Ain't nothin' gonna change. 

Edited by MormonGator

33 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

So what are you particularly standing up against ? My dislike or that I dispense with kindness?

I'm gonna spell it out for you in big letters.  PREJUDICE.

When you put down an ENTIRE group of people as a collective applying individual experience to the group as a whole, that's called PREJUDICE.  Racism is prejudice against a certain race.  Sexism is prejudice against a certain sex.  Anti-semitism is prejudice against Jews.  Prejudice against Utah LDS is no better than any of these -isms.  It is un-Christian and you need to repent.

Just now, anatess2 said:

I'm gonna spell it out for you in big letters.  PREJUDICE.

When you put down an ENTIRE group of people as a collective applying individual experience to the group as a whole, that's called PREJUDICE.  Racism is prejudice against a certain race.  Sexism is prejudice against a certain sex.  Anti-semitism is prejudice against Jews.  Prejudice against Utah LDS is no better than any of these -isms.  It is un-Christian and you need to repent.

oh goodness. you still live and have come to feed the troll. I wonder, does my disfavor of utah and idaho lds people elevate me to the level of stalin or hitler in your book ? perhaps you would like that I stand trial at Nuremberg ? and how do you propose that I repent. should I order a scourge from ebay, or clothe myself in coarse sacks and sprinkle ash on to my head ? should I perhaps wrap a penitent thigh thorn around my legs ? 

do pray tell. not that I wasn´t willing to let this go. but go ahead and contribute to my amusement.  

10 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

oh goodness. you still live and have come to feed the troll. I wonder, does my disfavor of utah and idaho lds people elevate me to the level of stalin or hitler in your book ? perhaps you would like that I stand trial at Nuremberg ? and how do you propose that I repent. should I order a scourge from ebay, or clothe myself in coarse sacks and sprinkle ash on to my head ? should I perhaps wrap a penitent thigh thorn around my legs ? 

do pray tell. not that I wasn´t willing to let this go. but go ahead and contribute to my amusement.  

Ask your bishop.  It's dangerous to ask other people about how you should repent.  It's not outside of the realm of possibility for people to say "drawn and quartered".

P.S.  I just had a discussion about trolls with my kids.  The question was... if you had to be one, which would you rather be.  The troll or the one who fed the troll.  The concensus was... the one who fed the troll.  A troll is a troll and trolls are ugly.  The one who fed the troll can still hold on to the benefit of the doubt that he's not ugly because, at least, he's not the troll.

Edited by anatess2

55 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

well, I never claimed to be right about anything.

So you're in the habit of making statements you consider to be wrong?

55 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

I am sure you could call me a name and it wouldnt phase me much. because ultimately, you can only elect to be insulted

Beautiful.  Your insults are only insulting if the insulted choose to see your insults as insulting.  So you thought you were complimenting Utahns all along?  You never intended to insult them at all?  You love them like your brothers and sisters they are?

If you're gonna do something, at least own it.  You were doing pretty good at that for a while.

PS: Do you really think people are ganging up on you for a different opinion?  Seriously?  Folks around here are fairly tolerant of different opinions.  But you didn't express an opinion - you expressed hatred for over one million people, the vast majority of whom you've never even seen, let alone gotten to know (unless you wish to assert that you have actually met a significant percentage of the million+ Utah Mormons).

If you had brought up an issue (such as the fact that some Mormons cannot seem to separate their culture from their religion), it's likely lots of people would have agreed with you and a discussion might have been had.  That's not what you did though.  You lumped every person in entire state (plus one) into one homogeneous entity and proceeded to declare it the worst thing ever.  The assertion is demonstrably false, and hyperbole to such an extreme as to be pitiful, and even the worst anti-Mormon on the planet would agree that it's ridiculous on the face of it.

PPS: Apparently, we've only ganged up on you if you feel ganged up on.

53 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

You should try the joy, it adds elegance if you are capable of cursive

The Lamy Joy uses the same nib as the Safari, Al-Star, and some other models.  The Joy itself isn't going to add elegance - that would be the nib - unless you're talking about the look of the pen itself, in which case, eye of the beholder.

Edited by zil
edited to add "Mormon"; -n, -the

well in liu of my references to satirize your comment, I have to say I seriously underestimated your zeal and conviction. Why don´t you go ahead and cast the first stone, distant cousin ? because frankly, I am sorely tempted to indulge further into your comments. perhaps you should look into the mirror as we all must eventually and reflect. mhm =) people like you are a savory forum delicacy, the flavor of your comments just enriches the amusement level. 

41 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

well, I never claimed to be right about anything. that for one. and for another, I am sure you could call me a name and it wouldnt phase me much. because ultimately, you can only elect to be insulted. I believe even someone of the quorum of the twelve said that as well. 

good day and good way

You seem stuck on the idea of insulting or not. I could care less about your views, and take no insult from some stranger on the internet's prejudice. What I'm taking about is your obvious hypocrisy. You are claiming negative activity by others while engaging in the same activity yourself. Do you understand that calling other's self-righteous is self-righteous? Do you understand that lumping together an entire community because there are some bad apples therein is the very definition of prejudice? You'd clearly understand, I would hope, were someone else to call all German's Nazis or the like.

Some Utahns are jerks. Some Utahns confuse culture with faith. That doesn't mean all Utahn's do, or that it's even a Utah problem. People being jerks, losers, stupid, judgmental, evil, and otherwise imperfect is a people problem, not a Utah one. You defining it as a Utah problem only exposes a bias. That is clearly demonstrated even in the thread where you accused @Vort who is NOT Utahn, and neither are a great many you claim are currently ridiculing you.

It strikes me the problem here is that you take it that anyone who disagrees with you must be self-righteous, must be mocking you, must be uncharitable, and must be interested in seeing you cast out of the church and shunned for all time.

Well...other than the fact that that's a mighty high horse you're riding upon, it's factually mistaken. It's not a matter of you being insulting or not -- though you are (It's a bit of a funny excuse to call people something-tards and then claim the flaw is with them for taking offense) -- it's a matter of you being hypocritical and wrong.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

3 minutes ago, zil said:

So you're in the habit of making statements you consider to be wrong?

Beautiful.  Your insults are only insulting if the insulted choose to see your insults as insulting.  So you thought you were complimenting Utahns all along?  You never intended to insult them at all?  You love them like your brothers and sisters they are?

If you're gonna do something, at least own it.  You were doing pretty good at that for a while.

PS: Do you really think people are ganging up on you for a different opinion?  Seriously?  Folks around here are fairly tolerant of different opinions.  But you didn't express an opinion - you expressed hatred for over one million people, the vast majority of whom you've never even seen, let alone gotten to know (unless you wish to assert that you have actually met a significant percentage of the million+ Utahns).

If you had brought up an issue (such as the fact that some Mormons cannot seem to separate their culture from their religion), it's likely lots of people would have agreed with you and a discussion might have been had.  That's not what you did though.  You lumped the every person in entire state (plus one) into one homogeneous entity and proceeded to declare it the worst thing ever.  The assertion is demonstrably false, and hyperbole to such an extreme as to be pitiful, and even the worst anti-Mormon on the planet would agree that it's ridiculous on the face of it.

PPS: Apparently, we've only ganged up on you if you feel ganged up on.

The Lamy Joy uses the same nib as the Safari, Al-Star, and some other models.  The Joy itself isn't going to add elegance - that would be the nib - unless you're talking about the look of the pen itself, in which case, eye of the beholder.

Oh I mean what I said and say what I mean. dont you worry about that. I would see no issue to repeat myself if I desire to do so. and yes, I am being intolerant. what of it ? millions of lds excel in that regard in one way or another. I have met not all but then again a culture forms itself from somewhere and gets carried on by the ones that accidentally stumble out of the famous Utah bubble. 

The Lamy joy has a broad tip, that could enably minor caligraphy. if the US version doesnt have it, then I reckon there must be a difference in model as the european one is meant to enhance cursive writing

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

You seem stuck on the idea of insulting or not. I could care less about your views, and take no insult from some stranger on the internet's prejudice. What I'm taking about it your obvious hypocrisy. You are claiming negative activity by others while engaging in the same activity yourself. Do you understand that calling other's self-righteous is self-righteous? Do you understand that lumping together an entire community because there are some bad apples therein is the very definition of prejudice? You'd clearly understand, I would hope, were someone else to call all German's Nazis or the like.

Some Utahns are jerks. Some Utahns confuse culture with faith. That doesn't mean all Utahn's do, or that it's even a Utah problem. People being jerks, losers, stupid, judgmental, evil, and otherwise imperfect is a people problem, not a Utah one. You defining it as a Utah problem only exposes a bias. That is clearly demonstrated even in the thread where you accused @Vort who is NOT Utahn, and neither are a great many you claim are currently ridiculing you.

It strikes me the problem here is that you take it that anyone who disagrees with you must be self-righteous, must be mocking you, must be uncharitable, and must be interested in seeing you cast out of the church and shunned for all time.

Well...other than the fact that that's a mighty high horse you're riding upon, it's factually mistaken. It's not a matter of you being insulting or not -- though you are (It's a bit of a funny excuse to call people something-tards and then claim the flaw is with them for taking offense) -- it's a matter of you being hypocritical and wrong.

And what exactly led you to believe that I am a good person ? I never thought so, nor said so. I am sinner that indulges himself quite greatly so. I am the kind of person that has no issue sticking a knife in someones face if push comes to shove in the right kind of situation. if you had the opportunity to meet me, you would find that I am scum enough to pursue my own interest in a very self serving manner. I say what I like, I do what I like but I own up to it when it comes to payday. Everything we say or do has a price. 

You might want to reevaluate your conception of members not being the least bit sainty. and an ultimate truth is that you take peoples meals, warm showers and creature comforts away, the tenets of the Lord become a distant memories over a time. 

So while you engage into the obvious that I am a bad person- a state which I savor might I add. You are correct in the assumption that we are both random strangers to each other on the internet with little in common . A state I am very content with. 

good day and good way. 

@Hemisphere -

Let me drop the sarcasm and retrotrolling for a moment.

Seriously, dude, what's up? You come back after a year of not commenting on this board (except for a few comments a week ago) and proceed to torch Mormon culture, lifelong Mormons, and the entire state of Utah. Then you claim injury when people respond in a predictable -- and appropriate -- manner to your overt hostility and bigotry.

Did your dog die? Did someone treat you really badly, and you're looking for justice? Seriously, friend, what is up with you? This is a pretty good group here. We're reasonably compassionate and supportive. We all have our shortcomings, as do you. But we generally do not go looking for a fight.

If there's something we can discuss with you, maybe help you with or talk about, let's do it. But in all seriousness, approaching things as you've done is not helpful. Even if you're just trolling for laughs, it is not good for your spiritual well-being to do so.

14 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

The Lamy joy has a broad tip, that could enably minor caligraphy. if the US version doesnt have it, then I reckon there must be a difference in model as the european one is meant to enhance cursive writing

My point was that the same nib that comes on the Joy can be bought on or for the other models which take the same nib type.

13 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

And what exactly led you to believe that I am a good person ? I never thought so, nor said so. I am sinner that indulges himself quite greatly so. I am the kind of person that has no issue sticking a knife in someones face if push comes to shove in the right kind of situation. if you had the opportunity to meet me, you would find that I am scum enough to pursue my own interest in a very self serving manner. I say what I like, I do what I like but I own up to it when it comes to payday. Everything we say or do has a price. 

You might want to reevaluate your conception of members not being the least bit sainty. and an ultimate truth is that you take peoples meals, warm showers and creature comforts away, the tenets of the Lord become a distant memories over a time. 

So while you engage into the obvious that I am a bad person- a state which I savor might I add. You are correct in the assumption that we are both random strangers to each other on the internet with little in common . A state I am very content with. 

Hmm.

I believe I've lost interest.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Oh no, another person to feed @zils unhealthy addiction with pens. We must stop this! We need an intervention! Don't enable her! 

:P

LOL, Gator, it's too late. I'm seriously afflicted. Zil did this to me!  And we are out to start a fountain pen revolution. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

1 hour ago, Hemisphere said:

I am in posession of a Lamy Joy for well over 18 years now and it still writes. I also do like my lamy AL-star in silver. I have now moved away from disposable cartridges as I noticed that convertible cartridges and ink bottles last me longer and are sustainable for the environment

Yes, I prefer bottles of ink too. So many more options. And less waste as you said.

56 minutes ago, Hemisphere said:

hand writing is something I reserve for dear and important people. handwritten letters convey personal bonds and emotion and the time it takes speaks volumes in dedication and attention. 

Yes, I love handwritten notes and lettets too. I always write in cursive.

49 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

:: snickers :: your obsession with fountain  pens is like my obsession with making soap. Ain't nothin' gonna change. 

I knew you made soap, but I didn't realize that it's a passion. Good to know who to ask questions of when I try it again.

• pam locked this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic